upgrading to sp2 *need help*

Div5

hi, i wanted to upgrade to service pack 2, but i am not able to. i get an error 0x8007F0CC

i googled that and most results say its caused by a custom boot screen. i currently have a custom boot screen, but i do not know how to remove it and put my original windows one back up.

i used a program called style xp to get it there, but the free trial ran out so i cant use it anymore. :(

Hello Div5,

Welcome to msfn :hello:

Click: Start >> Run

Type: "CMD" (without the quotes) in the dialog box there, to bring up the command prompt.

Now type "sfc /scannow" at the command line.

This will check all your protected files (SFC = system file checker).

Your custom boot-screen is because of a modified kernel file - so this file is also on the list of protected files.

Next, SFC might ask you to insert your Windows XP disk (or SP1 disc, if u installed SP1 on XP).

It will replace your custom-bootscreen back with the unmodified MS-provided kernel.

Now you should be able to install SP2, but would have lost the customized boot-logo you had.

Hoping this helps...

thanks for the reply!

ok, i followed your directions, and it checked my files. it however didn't ask me to insert my disk. when i rebooted the computer i still got the custom boot screen :(

if it helps solve the problem, i opened C:\WINDOWS\pss\boot.ini and inside it looks like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=3

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (bootscreen)" /fastdetect /KERNEL=kernel1.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

thanks for the reply!

ok, i followed your directions, and it checked my files. it however didn't ask me to insert my disk. when i rebooted the computer i still got the custom boot screen :(

if it helps solve the problem, i opened C:\WINDOWS\pss\boot.ini and inside it looks like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=3

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (bootscreen)" /fastdetect /KERNEL=kernel1.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Remove

and reboot......

Hold on a sec...

Is that the boot.ini from the directory C:\WINDOWS\pss?

The real boot.ini that Windows uses to load is located in the system root (most likely C:). Open up C:\boot.ini and tell us what you have in there. (Use the code tags next time... makes it easier to read)

ah my mistake.

anyway it says the one in

c:\windows\pss

is a backup, i did Start > Search > boot.ini and the backup is the only file that is showing up is the search results.

i used a program called StyleXP to change it originally, however the free trial on that ran out so i removed it. Does anyone know how to get around the trial expiration? or know a place I can get the full version?

Edited by Div5

You shouldn't need StyleXP.

The reason why that boot.ini is showing up is because you probably haven't selected to search for hidden and system files. Try checking that under "More Options".

To open up the real boot.ini go to Start->Run and type in C:\boot.ini. This will bring up the file that actually matters during startup. The other one is just a copy.

ok i found it. here is what is inside:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]

im guessing remove the

??

ok i do start>run>C:\boot.ini

it opens up in notepade, i remove the line of text

i click "save" and get a message "cannot create c:\boot.ini please make sure the path and filename are correct."

so i click "OK" and a save box comes up, i type "boot.ini" in for the file name, and click save

i then get the message "boot.ini this file exists with read only attributes. please use a different file name."

:}

make sure you show hidden files and folders and i think protected operating system files.. navigate to the boot.ini file.. right click on it and select properties.. uncheck where it says "Read Only" hit ok then do what you need to do. when you are done.. do the same thing and RECHECK the read only box

he sorry for not replying, was away for a few days.

anyway, no, i still am unable to install it. it is downloaded alreay but whenever i try to install it, it just fails.