nForce4 Sata/Raid problem with nLite b5

Fernando 1

see now I don't know what to do.  I hear differnet things from different people.  I want to be able to integrate the SATA RAID drivers via textmode in nlite WITHOUT having to make any changes.  When I had Silicon Image and Promise RAID I never had an issue like I do with this nvidia raid.  If there is no way to do it without making changes then I guess I am SOL UNLESS Fernando you would be so kind as to send me any modified files you used and let me know where to put them so I can have no further troubles.  If 6.66 doesn't work no matter what but you know that 6.53 works in at least one way please drop me a PM with detailed instructions so as to not clutter this thread anymore than it is.  I really would appreciate it as I have useless windows running now and don't want to format unless I know its going to work.  I would like to have the best install possible as I don't do it often.  Thanks.

As you can see, it's not easy with these awfull NVIDIA drivers. You are not the only user waiting for an easy resolution!

That is the reason why we are testing all around.

You will not be happy, when you try to install your SATA/RAID drivers as TEXTMODE with nLite without any handmade changes.

Why don't you install the drivers by F6/floppy? I am sure, that works with the drivers from the packet 6.53.

If you want to use nLite, you may not choose the install of the SATA/RAID drivers as TEXTMODE, but as "normal" drivers. But when you take this way, you have to integrate the drivers NVATABUS.SYS and NVRAID.SYS by hand and to edit some things in TXTSETUP.SIF.

Here are the details of my instructions:

Integration of nForce SATA/RAID drivers into an unattended bootable Windows XP CD with nLite

1. Run nLite and create a full unattended mode CD. Integrate the SATA/RAID drivers as normal (not as Textmode) drivers. Then you can do everything nLite offers (integrate other drivers and hotfixes, remove not needed languages and Services, make Tweaks and so on). Let nLite finish his processing, but do not create the Iso file at this time.

2. Search for the file TXTSETUP.SIF . You will find it in the subfolder I386 of the folder, where the nLited CD-files are.

3. Open TXTSETUP.SIF with the editor and search (there is a search function on top of the Editor) for the sections with the headlines [sourceDisksFiles], [HardwareldsDatabase], [sCSI.Load] and [sCSI]

Copy the following fat printed lines and paste them into the suitable sections of the TXTSETUP.SIF:

[sourceDisksFiles]

nvatabus.sys = 1,,,,,,4,4,1,,,1,4

nvraid.sys = 1,,,,,,4,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_008E = "nvatabus"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0085 = "nvatabus"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5 = "nvatabus"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00EE = "nvatabus"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E3 = "nvatabus"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E5 = "nvatabus"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0035 = "nvatabus"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0036 = "nvatabus"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_003E = "nvatabus"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0053 = "nvatabus"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054 = "nvatabus"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055 = "nvatabus"

*_NVRAIDBUS = "nvraid"

GenNvRaidDisk = "nvraid"

[sCSI.Load]

nvatabus = nvatabus.sys,4

nvraid = nvraid.sys,4

[sCSI]

nvatabus = "NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller"

nvraid = "NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER"

4. At least you have to copy the following SYS-files from the IDE\WINXP folder of the nForce chipset package into the nLited folder I386: NVATABUS.SYS , NVRAID.SYS and maybe (if it's in the package) NVCCHFLT.SYS . It's not necessary to compress them.

5. Now you can make the ISO file by nLite and burn your bootable CD.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Thank you Fernando 1. I will give a good look at what you suggested and give it a try. Like I said earlier I have no problem being a tester as well if needed. Anyone have ideas or an update to nlite let me know and I can first hand see how it does.

Why don't I use F6 with floppy? Becaues I have no floppy in my system and I don't want to get one so I can access 2 files maybe once every six months. Nlite was working perfectely for imbedding textmode drivers before the nvidia ones came around.

If I come up with anything I will let you guys know and please do the same for me. Thank you.

Edited by cantankerous

I have possibly detected the reason for all the troubles I have described in this thread.:

The new version of nLite 1.0 Beta5 does not work with the integration of nForce4 Sata/Raid drivers!

After a lot of frustrating tests and many hours of work I found out the following:

1. It is impossible to integrate nForce4 Sata/Raid drivers into a bootable Windows XP or Windows XP x64 CD fully automaticly by using nLite (neither with v. Beta 4 nor with v. Beta 5).

2. It seems to be totally impossible to integrate these drivers with the new version 1.0 Beta5, even when you make several manual changes (I tried nearly everything inclusive the [OemInfFiles] method - at the end there were endless reboots).

3. The [OemInfFiles]-method I have described already for the 64-Bit version of Windows XP, runs perfect even on the 32-bit Version of Windows XP, when you use the "old" version of nLite (1.0 Beta4). I tried it with the NVIDIA chipset packages 6.66 and 7.13.

The last finding is the best, because the method to integrate these awfull nForce Sata/Raid drivers is much easier than the method I described 2 posts above.

I will open a new thread this evening and explain the few things which you have manually to do.

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Very nice Fernando 1! I am very much appreciative of your hard work and efforts in getting this thing on its way to being settled. Please let Nuhi know everything you tried and came up with so perhaps he can figure out a way to complete Nlite don't what it is having problems doing now. I have just seen your other post about the resolution so am going to have a look. Thanks again!

cantankerous, I'm not doing anything wrong, this method works on almost every other controller.

Gonna introduce this sif method in next version, with the help of Fernando 1 and guides all over.

Hi Nuhi, I am terribly sorry for having you think it was YOU who was doing something wrong. I did not mean this at all, I just found it weird that same drivers work with beta 4 but not beta 5 using same method. I just thought maybe something was changed that might have been brought to mind through Fernando 1's testing. Either way I am glad it was sorted and I know it is the Nvidia drivers at fault. I look forward to the next version with the introduced sif method and hope that works without any manual changes from the user.

Keep up the great work, thanks and sorry again.

No need to apologize.

Only thing changed is order of HW ID entries...and I can not believe how important this seems for Nforce line of controllers.

For your info (not saying this in a bad way), beta 5 solved few nforce 4 installs (undetected drives and bsod) with some people with specific drivers...even small driver version difference makes a difference for them.

if that is the case then it seems we are on the right track with this and of course you know best so I will not challenge you on your findings. I hope whatever ideas you have gathered from Fernando 1 can be used in the future to remedy this once and for all. The Nvidia chipsets perform well when setup right however they have their fair share of issues minus their drivers. Sometimes I think they should have just stuck to video cards.

if that is the case then it seems we are on the right track with this and of course you know best so I will not challenge you on your findings.  I hope whatever ideas you have gathered from Fernando 1 can be used in the future to remedy this once and for all.  The Nvidia chipsets perform well when setup right however they have their fair share of issues minus their drivers.  Sometimes I think they should have just stuck to video cards.

Let's see how the ATI chipset does! lol :P

• 1 year later...

I have an asus p5n32sli plus mb with the nvidia raid onboard. I tried using nlite like you did and got the same results. Also the hand editing method that is found all over the net also resulted in endless reboots. Inside the driver package is a help file that explains how to slipstream xp, this also resulted in endless reboots. I finally bought a usb floppy and installed with F6 and all was well.

If someone knows how to insert these drivers successfully into xp please post here.

I have an asus p5n32sli plus mb with the nvidia raid onboard. I tried using nlite like you did and got the same results. Also the hand editing method that is found all over the net also resulted in endless reboots. Inside the driver package is a help file that explains how to slipstream xp, this also resulted in endless reboots. I finally bought a usb floppy and installed with F6 and all was well.

If someone knows how to insert these drivers successfully into xp please post here.

You posted within a 2 years old thread, which is not actual anymore.

This thread will help you: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...t=0&start=0

CU

Fernando

• 7 months later...

I'm about to throw my computer out a window :P.

First I was unable to get the XP installation going due to the install refusing to read the drivers from the floppy.

I found this here thread and followed the instructions. After burning off a new disc with the drivers integrated windows installed, but now endlessly reboots (the message is displayed so quickly I cannot read it).

My system is the Asus P5N32-E SLI (a 680i chipset). I downloaded the latest 64-bit xp drivers from nVidia, 9.53_nforce_680i_winxp64_english_whql.exe.

I did one disc with just the SATA Raid driver installed in textmode, and I did another with both the Sata Raid in textmode and the other one in pnp. The same problem occurs each time.

Can anyone suggest any further steps?

Thanks.

BTW, here are the details of the drivers I obtained from nvidia:

Ethernet Driver (v60.24) "WHQL"

Network Management Tools (v60.26) "Sedona"

SMBus Driver (v4.57) "WHQL"

Installer (v5.17)

WinXP IDE SataRAID Driver (v6.91) "WHQL"

WinXP IDE SataIDE Driver (v6.91) "WHQL"

WinXP RAIDTOOL Application (v6.91) "Sedona"

And I used the latest released nLite (1.3.5)

Edited by Kallin

I found this here thread and followed the instructions. After burning off a new disc with the drivers integrated windows installed, but now endlessly reboots (the message is displayed so quickly I cannot read it).
This thread was dedicated for nLite 1.0 Beta5 and was started more than 2 years ago.

Please look here for actual instructions how to get Windows XP x64 installed onto an nForce SataRaid system.

And I used the latest released nLite (1.3.5)
Actual is nLite v.1.4 RC2