Pagefile malfunctioning

Yashiv

This afternoon I was playing Unreal Tournament 2004 on my PC when I lost power (sorry don't have a UPS). When electricity returned and i started up my PC I happened to note that my pagefile size after booting was in the order of 400-500 MB when it normally is between 130-200 MB after booting. I was wondering if anybody encountered anything else like this or if anybody has any suggestions about what I could do to return my system to normal please tell me.

System:

Dell Dimension 8200

P4 2.26GHz

256 MB RDRAM

WinXP w/ SP2 and latest updates

Min Pagefile Size: 384MB

Max Pagefile Size: 2048MB

Well, you could boot to a recovery console using your Windows disc and delete the page file. It will recreate itself on next reboot. Does the system seem unusually slow or is it just a larger page file than you're used to seeing? Also, I would *highly* recommend you upgrade your RAM. 256MB - especially if you play games like UT2k4 - is not nearly enough. Get up to 512MB at least, if not 1GB.

I haven't seen any noticeable slowdown but I have been keeping use to a minimum in case it is something really bad. The pagefile is just insanely big.

I attached a .jpg with the taskman stats. It says 610MB used for the PF. However that is because my brother had soulseek open at the time and internet explorer was also open (using a whopping >50000KB of memory).

post-64606-1121494659_thumb.jpg

2Gig of ram

Min Pagefile Size: 512MB

Max Pagefile Size: 512MB

1.5Gig of ram

Min Pagefile Size: 1000MB

Max Pagefile Size: 1000MB

1 Gig of ram

Min Pagefile Size: 1024MB

Max Pagefile Size: 1024MB

512Meg of ram

Min Pagefile Size: 1536MB

Max Pagefile Size: 1536MB

256Meg of Ram

Min Pagefile Size: 786MB

Max Pagefile Size: 786MB

actually you should set it for the puter to manage size and minitor it with highest load, set it just a little higher than that keeping min and max the same

Actually I did but I had a problem with UT2004 and I read on a forum to alleviate it, to set the PF max size to 2048MB. It worked for me at least.

I fixed my problem by the way. Deleted the pagefile and rebooted. Now it's back to a normal size. Followed this article....

http://www.theeldergeek.com/clear_pagefile...em_shutdown.htm

I usually recommend 1.5x your physical RAM. For example, I have 1GB of RAM, so I run mine min/max at 1536MB. Technically, anything over 1.5GB of RAM doesn't need a pagefile (though certain programs still require it's presence and Windows can't create a minidump without it).