How to get rid of XP Professional

Heartofgold

If I try last known working and/or normal startup I end up with a black screen. If I go into safe mode, safe mode with command, safe mode with networking then I can get in but I'm not sure what to check for or what to do about it.

Are you still trying to get rid of XP? or are you trying to get it working now?

I guess both!! I'm trying to get it to work to show them it's good. But if it's going to take a lot of time that I don't have then I'd like to put windows 98SE on it a.s.a.p

Here's the Story which I guess I should have told you all before.

It use to work great, but they had no protection on it. They got alot of virsues, they had a local boy work on it and he charged them over $100.00 dollars. He told them he had gotten rid of them all. This was about a year ago. Now they are having this problem. He had put in Norton antivus for them at the time.

Not sure what version.

your still not booting to the CD...

you need to boot to your windows 98 cd and use Boot with CD-Rom Support.. once you get to a command prompt

FDISK the partition

I got into the bios and it shows to boot to CD-Rom first. I put the Windows 98SE disk into the CD-Rom and restart the computer but nothing happens

your still not booting to the CD...

you need to boot to your windows 98 cd and use Boot with CD-Rom Support.. once you get to a command prompt

FDISK the partition

I got into the bios and it shows to boot to CD-Rom first. I put the Windows 98SE disk into the CD-Rom and restart the computer but nothing happens

then something is wrong with your 98 disk or cdrom. You will need to be able to boot from the xp cd to do xp repair install. You can run fdisk and install 98 from a boot floppy if you need to.

Edited by dman

do you have a 98 floppy boot disk.. sounds like this would be easier..

set your bios to boot to that and fdisk the partition

It sounds to me you are hitting F8 to get advanced troubleshooting options... try not to hit the F8 key during the boot process

do you have a 98 floppy boot disk.. sounds like this would be easier..

set your bios to boot to that and fdisk the partition

It sounds to me you are hitting F8 to get advanced troubleshooting options... try not to hit the F8 key during the boot process

Crap!@! Looks like the Floppy disks doesn't work either. I think I'm going to walk away from this for awhile. I'll like you all know if anything changes. Thanks for the help. I called them and they are trying to find the disk for Windows XP Pro.

you need the full original win98 cd to be bootable usually, if it's a copy, it's probably not bootable :no:

you can make a boot cd from a computer from a file at http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm just choose the win98SE OEM file

that should make a bootable win98 disk

you probably will have to go into the bios again and make the floppy the first boot device

then once you have fdisk and formatted the partition, you just need to type d:\win98\setup to start windows installation

Recovery or Repairing is such a HACK JOB way of doing it...

So as it stands...

You can't boot from the 98 CD

You can't boot from the 98 Startup disk

You were able to get into the bios but did you find the setting for the boot order?

What type of computer is this?

F10 is an unusual way of getting into the bios.

Can you boot with the XP CD?

You're really better off installing a fresh copy and wiping everything...if you are using the XP CD you can forget the whole fdisk thing...it's not necessary for this route. Even the 98 CD may ask you to format the drive because it won't recognize the ntfs partition.