How to get rid of XP Professional

Heartofgold

I am tempted to ask why you want to do this, but I'm sure you must have a reason so I won't. You need to delete the NTFS partition first. Back up anything you don't want to lose, then boot from a recovery floppy (or cd) and and run "fdisk". Then choose 3. "delete partition or logical drive", then 4. "delete non dos partition", and delete the NTFS partition(s) found there. Then escape to main screen and choose 1. "create dos partition or logical drive" and create primary dos partition. after this reboot into floppy and run "format c:". when format is done you can install 98 clean.

Edited by dman

Or buy an old junk computer for 100$ that has 98 installed allready. ;) lol

Looks like your answer has allready been given. Good luck.

BTW... is there a specific reason you choose 98 over XP?

Download Delpart. The utility deletes NTFS partitions (which FDISK cannot see), thus enabling you to create FAT32 partitions.

Click here to visit the Delpart website.

When they refer to the disk that you put Delpart on, just put it on a MS-DOS boot disk that you can create in Windows XP.

Hope that helps.

Download Delpart.  The utility deletes NTFS partitions (which FDISK cannot see), thus enabling you to create FAT32 partitions.

Click here to visit the Delpart website.

When they refer to the disk that you put Delpart on, just put it on a MS-DOS boot disk that you can create in Windows XP.

Hope that helps.

Sounds handy for stubborn partitions. Sometimes fdisk cant remove ones created by ontrack diskmanager or linux cfdisk and some other partition programs, but if it is a normal install of XP you shouldent have any trouble removing it with fdisk.

Edited by dman

windows XP pro is the best current OS. I don't know why you want to go back to win98.?

here is the easiest way.

if you have winxp setup CD, put it in your CD drom and choose "recovery console" when asked if you want to prepare windows xp

from there, use "diskpart" command to delete and format your drive to fat32.

I'm doing this for a friend. All they want to do is use two programs that they already have that will only work on Windows 98SE. They don't care about XP at all. I tried to convince them, but it comes down to their computer.

Thanks for the help, I'll try the fdisk thing. Let you know how it goes.

Right now i can only get into Safe Mode. I'm not use to doing anything in this setting. Will I still be able to use fdisk?

Under the Safe Mode. it says that it does not reconized fdisk command???

If I let the computer start normally, here's what happens.

It starts up shows the bios settings, "which I haven't been able to get in using the delete button."

then it shows the Intel Motherboard background pic,

then it shows the XP logos loading, then it shows a black screen and never goes beyond that.

I would like to get it to work for them to show them it's a better OS, but I need help.

Edited by Heartofgold