Nothing else to do?

chilifrei64

I signed up on this board a few months ago but that was about it...

Over the past month... I have been going crazy with this board.. I sit here and refresh the pages hoping to see other peoples problem..

I work full time and go to school full time.. am married and own my own home.. yet I still seem to spend a good 1 to 2 hours on this forum each day.. I never got into video games or a forum community before.. this is my one and only....

Is this type of thing normal.. that I get home from working on computers all day and sit on the computer even more on this forum... I know alot of my friends get into games alot but does anyone else get maybe way too far into these message boards.. or am I the only one....

It is better with a little spin :)

You are IT professional of some type, yes? See the tag line on the welcome message "Where People Go To Know"? You are advancing your career!!! :thumbup

The great thing here is that it is probably true. I know I learn so much here just reading "other peoples problems". Often I will remember something from a thread, do a little search to find it again and presto, happy customer. So yes, I can easily justify it to myself. My wife, that is another story.:whistle:

I agree will all the above comments. I'm not a tech or IT but wandered in here looking for a solution to a problem. I found the solution, which was great but I also found the forum. I spend a lot of time reading what others have written. I learn a little ( slow on the uptake ) and it is fascinating to watch something grow. The people who create, the people who help, projects merge ........ How the forums are handled and that is more than just professionally. There is a great sense of community and generosity. That comes from the top down. Situations are handled crisply, cleanly, firmly and fairly. Ect......

Addicting isn't a fair word really. I am drawn to the community. You can like a forum because your pals are there but at msfn, the only word that fits is community. Look at where people are from. Everywhere! And they are all from one place. MSFN.

DL

Is this type of thing normal.. that I get home from working on computers all day and sit on the computer even more on this forum... I know alot of my friends get into games alot but does anyone else get maybe way too far into these message boards.. or am I the only one....

Idem dito here :D In fact I was asking myself the same question! :D

The people who create, the people who help, projects merge ........  How the forums are handled and that is more than just professionally.  There is a great sense of community and generosity.  That comes from the top down.  Situations are handled crisply, cleanly, firmly and fairly.  Ect......

I agree. This is the only forum I know that has this effect on so many people: usually it's only one or two of them who are trying to create things or try to help solve problems. Here it's everyone!

Addicting isn't a fair word really.  I am drawn to the community.  You can like a forum because your pals are there but at msfn, the only word that fits is community.  Look at where people are from.  Everywhere!  And they are all from one place.  MSFN.

I've printed this one.

It will become a famous quote.

A famous quote when MSFN - in the future - will look back to its past, seeing how it has evolved.

If I would change one word to that small speech... I'd ruin it!

EDIT: forgot to say this:

I've met here people from all over the world! People from India, the U.S.A, South-Africa, China, Croatia, the Philippines, Germany, the Netherlands, Brazil, U.K., and so many more.

I think the list above is one of the most impressive and diverse you'll ever find accross the entire Internet.

Not to forget: people from all these countries collaborate together at this one forum, they try to help each other, they create, they chat, they exchange ideas, they not only come to know, but also to talk to friends they made here at MSFN.

It's great to see the Internet is not only a great distance eraser (a quote from my friend Prathapml in India), but also this forum makes it possible to entirely wipe out and forget discrimination in any way!

/me is amazed on how long this post has become... :o

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky

I do that too. I check MSFN every day, just wanting something to pop up. I'm in America, and it seems like everybody posts in the nighttime. Maybe I'm the only one out here...? :)

Im the same, I hang around here a couple of hours a night after work, I dont post much, (I think this is #18 o 19), I have assisted 1 guy here in Aus, but I have learned quite a lot.

I look back through the older posts, and see what problems people had a year or 2 ago, and compare with whatever probs I had back then.

I have also noticed that people here are much more likely to ask for more info on what sort of gear you have, what drivers/revisions, etc, to help them assist in whatever problem they are currently looking into, than flaming anyone for having out of date, or lesser gear than they themselves may have.

I am in Australia, and find quite a bit each day new, as the time difference is quite substantial.

The only thing I really have to say, is, I ENJOY my visits here, something I cant say about other places I visit. I lurk, but i learn.

oldwolf

Addicting isn't a fair word really.  I am drawn to the community.  You can like a forum because your pals are there but at msfn, the only word that fits is community.  Look at where people are from.  Everywhere!  And they are all from one place.  MSFN.

I've printed this one.

It will become a famous quote.

A famous quote when MSFN - in the future - will look back to its past, seeing how it has evolved.

If I would change one word to that small speech... I'd ruin it!

Amen, Bâshrat. Someone get that silver-tongued devil a medal or something. :D

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more. A friend of mine pointed me to MSFN's world-class unattended Windows CD guide page after we got into a discussion about uA CDs in general. The guide led me to the forum, and the forum got me hooked.

I don't post or visit quite as often as I did when I first joined up, but I am still drawn back here time and again. Thanks and congratulations to all those who have helped strive to make MSFN such a great community; you've done an amazing job! :thumbup

Hi there....

Wat matters in life is that u have to be happy..as long as you happy doing something and ur way of doing it is not bothering others..allz well....so don't worry about u spending a whole lot of time here..as long as you happy...wat more do u need..:-)..have fun

Yeah, I'd agree it's a good place to 'hang around' - I just keep the msfn forum page open im my browser while at work doing my job and peep at it during my breaks and at home I keep it open while my computers are up and running - some new thread or reply just might tick in any minute

- it's not addiction to MSFN - it's passion ... :D

Edited by techniquefreak

• 2 weeks later...