Integration of nvRaid drivers into XPx64 and W2k3x64

Fernando 1

f*** I am screwed, cause that didn't work either... Argh...

And I am just to scared to use the FIXMBR command, cause of the possibility that I lose all my data on the 5 partitions.

...or is FIXMBR save to use on a RAID 0 system with 2 HD's (with several partitions)?

Please advice, cause the only other solution I currently see, is that I hook up another HD, reinstall Windows XP X64 / X86 on that one and backup all my data (which is quite impossible 480 GB or something).

Sigh....

And I am just to scared to use the FIXMBR command, cause of the possibility that I lose all my data on the 5 partitions.

...or is FIXMBR save to use on a RAID 0 system with 2 HD's (with several partitions)?

This is absolutely safe, even with a RAID array.

You will just get a new written MBR, no other datas will be touched.

You sure mate?

Cause I already tried to give the command in the Recovery Console and gave me some kind of warning about loss of data, or something similar like that.

Nevermind, I found what I meant:

If an invalid or nonstandard partition table signature is detected, you will be prompted whether you want to continue. If you are not having problems accessing your drives, you should not continue. Writing a new master boot record to your system partition could damage your partition tables and cause your partitions to become inaccessible.

I got prompted to continue. And I really do not like the sound of that last line...

...but you say it's safe?

Let me know, thanks.

You sure mate?

Let me know, thanks.

I have often done that without getting any problems.

Store the boot files (boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com) somewhere before you run the fixmbr command.

You sure mate?

Let me know, thanks.

I have often done that without getting any problems.

Store the boot files (boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com) somewhere before you run the fixmbr command.

Thanks for the answer, but I already gave it a go... But alas, when I reboot my PC, that **** message popups again "Disk Read Error"...

...I am now going to install a HD (20 GB) and install Windows XP on it, so I can start backing up stuff (which seems impossible, since I have 480 GB of stuff on my PC). Oh well, if anybody knows a possible solution to my problem, please share it with me...

Thanks so far...

Thanks for the answer, but I already gave it a go... But alas, when I reboot my PC, that **** message popups again "Disk Read Error"...

...I am now going to install a HD (20 GB) and install Windows XP on it, so I can start backing up stuff (which seems impossible, since I have 480 GB of stuff on my PC). Oh well, if anybody knows a possible solution to my problem, please share it with me...

Have you already tried the FIXBOOT command?

EDIT: If this doesn't repair your boot sector, you might have a hardware problem (hdd or RAM?).

Another idea: Try to boot off the 32bit Windows XP CD with integrated nForce sataRaid drivers.

When the XP Setup shows you the correct RAID partitions, format the partition, where you tried to install XP x64 and do a fresh install of Windows XP.

Maybe you get a proper MBR this way.

Edited by Fernando 1

Have you already tried the FIXBOOT command?

Yeah I gave that several times a go...

1. From the Recovery Console from the Windows XP X86 version (after including the raid drivers).

2. From the Recovery Console from the Windows XP X64 version (after including the raid drivers).

3. Same as 1, but after FIXMBR command.

All without succes, but I have another option, which I am going to give a go. I also purchased some time ago Windows Vista X64. So I am going to try installing that and see what happens... Probably the same error again, but I am going to try it anyways.

If that does NOT work, I will have to reinstall Windows XP X64 / X86 on the small HD and start backin up stuff...

I only wish what is causing this... Cause I am going banana's. I already spend over 4 hours trying to fix this... :( :( :(

All without succes, but I have another option, which I am going to give a go. I also purchased some time ago Windows Vista X64. So I am going to try installing that and see what happens... Probably the same error again, but I am going to try it anyways.
Are you sure, that you get Vista x64 installed onto your nForce RAID without loading any special nForce SataRaid drivers? Vista x64 is not easy to install because of the lack of really working nForce SataRaid drivers.

Which nForce chipset does your motherboard have?

Ok, got my machine running now! Thanks to you, Fernando!! At the and it really was the XP cd that was wrong. Using a clean XP + floppy's did the magic. Still got a lot of problems though, like my internet doesn't work, can't find my extra added harddisks, but that's for another topic, right? Thanks for the help!

Ok, got my machine running now! Thanks to you, Fernando!! At the and it really was the XP cd that was wrong. Using a clean XP + floppy's did the magic. Still got a lot of problems though, like my internet doesn't work, can't find my extra added harddisks, but that's for another topic, right? Thanks for the help!

Fine, that you succeeded at least!

CU

Fernando

• 3 weeks later...

My situation. I am not running a 64 Windows Osys, will this help me - as this string is extensive please be specific to my issue and system configuration.

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4-f (NEW)

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Dual Core (NEW)

Memory: (2) Corsair CMX512-2700C2

Drives: (2) Seagate 160GB 8MB SATA HD (NEW)

Video: ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512Mb (NEW)

Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS

OP Sys: Windows XP Professional Version 2002

I am trying to setup a Raid of my two Seagate Drives on a fresh setup of Windows XP Professional. I setup my motherboard Bios as instructed – The only changes from the Optimized default were to change the Boot Sequence to CD/Floppy/Hard Drive, and to enable the SATA Raid. Upon restart the Bios did detect the Drives and prompted an “F10” to create the Raid array, which went perfectly as described. Upon the next restart the Windows XP Pro CD was detected and the installation began. The first screen prompted for “F6” to install the Raid Drivers. Per provided instruction the two Drivers were installed from the floppy created from the supplied ESI Motherboard CD without issue. The Windows installation continued, the Array was detected and I was prompted to Format the array, which I did. The Format proceeded through completion and the Windows installation re-continued loading various files to a point where I am again prompted for the very same Raid Drivers I installed from floppy earlier after hitting “F6”. This time Windows states it cannot copy the files even though the same Floppy is still in the Drive, the exact screen message reads “Cannot copy the file:nvraid.sys” (nvraid.sys being just one of the drivers loaded earlier, the same prompt appears for each of the drivers). Numerous attempts all end the same.

Work arounds attempted:

• I remove and install the Floppy numerous times.

• I bypass the installation of the Drivers, which does allow for the completion of the Windows file copy process but ends with a Blue Screen of Death eventually.

• The latest Drivers were obtained from the MSI website – no success.

• Per Forum research, the drivers were attempted to be loaded twice, and after the prompt stating windows already had them they were loaded yet again – no success.

• Also per forum research only the first Raid Driver was added without the Storage driver – no success.

I have since successfully loaded my copy of Windows XP Pro without Raid. All components are found to be working status-quo after that installation indicating no Hardware issue.

I have seen numerous discussions on this error searching the web for “cannot copy the file:”, some of which date back years. I cannot believe that Microsoft and Nvidia have not worked together and solved this issue, or that the multitude of knowledge out there has not found a sustained work around for it. As stated there has been some varying but spurious successes using the aforementioned methods, but not for all who have attempted them including myself. These are expensive items whether they be the Operating System or internal components, I expected quality but I now have a system that does not perform as expected.

• 2 months later...

Thanx to Fernando... This definitely works if you follow the instructions in the first post.

tools: m2n sli with Nvidia 570 chipset, 4 320GB Seagate SATA HDDs, XP Pro x64, Vista Home Premium x64, nLite v1.4, winrar, nero.

I had a little trouble getting nlite to streamline sp2 in, so I just added the sataraid subfolder and the ide_raid subfolder as explained in the first post, and I was able to install xp onto a raid 1 set with NO problems, sp2 after the install. I had already installed vista on another mirror, so I just physically disconnected those drives before creating the 2nd mirror and installing xp. Afterward, I reconnected the vista drives and both mirrors showed healthy. I choose an OS by setting the corresponding mirror to bootable in MediaShield. After all hardware was configured, each OS insisted on doing a diskcheck at first boot and now all is working perfectly with no further diskchecks.

I bought XP to run ProTools, and I plan to use a free partition on the vista mirror to record audio to, because Digidesign recommends you don't record to the system drive. But I need to free up space on the vista mirror, so I'm pointing most of my data folders to an empty partition on the xp mirror (69). It seems like a somewhat convoluted way to go about things, but it works.. and I think it's cool.

Edited by disintegration

My situation. I am not running a 64 Windows Osys, will this help me - as this string is extensive please be specific to my issue and system configuration.

I am trying to setup a Raid of my two Seagate Drives on a fresh setup of Windows XP Professional. I setup my motherboard Bios as instructed – The only changes from the Optimized default were to change the Boot Sequence to CD/Floppy/Hard Drive, and to enable the SATA Raid. Upon restart the Bios did detect the Drives and prompted an “F10” to create the Raid array, which went perfectly as described. Upon the next restart the Windows XP Pro CD was detected and the installation began. The first screen prompted for “F6” to install the Raid Drivers. Per provided instruction the two Drivers were installed from the floppy created from the supplied ESI Motherboard CD without issue. The Windows installation continued, the Array was detected and I was prompted to Format the array, which I did. The Format proceeded through completion and the Windows installation re-continued loading various files to a point where I am again prompted for the very same Raid Drivers I installed from floppy earlier after hitting “F6”. This time Windows states it cannot copy the files even though the same Floppy is still in the Drive, the exact screen message reads “Cannot copy the file:nvraid.sys” (nvraid.sys being just one of the drivers loaded earlier, the same prompt appears for each of the drivers). Numerous attempts all end the same.

At first I have to beg your pardon for my very late response. Reason: I have not been at home for several weeks and your post disappeared within the nLite forum....

Little side note: This would not have been happened, if you would have posted within this thread, which is the correct one for your problem, because you are not planning to create a bootable CD with the 64bit version of Windows XP.

Now to your problem:

Within my instructions (first posts of both threads for XP 32bit and 64bit) you don't find any advice to hit the F6 button during the OS installation and to load any driver from a floppy disk. Contrary to this I suggest to integrate the nForce SataRaid drivers into the bootable XP CD by using nLite.

If you create a bootable CD by nLite or a similar tool and use the "Unattended Install" option (for example by just editing the user name or the CD key), the Windows Setup routine "forgets" all drivers you will load via F6/floppy while installing the OS. This is a wellknown issue of the Windows Setup routine!

The users have 2 options to prevent this Windows Setup issue:

a ) by booting off a Windows OS CD with integraed TEXTMODE drivers (without hitting F6 during the installation) or

b ) by booting off a Windows OS CD without using any "Unattended Install" modifications (no WINNT.SIF file within the i386 directory of the CD) and using the F6/floppy option.

Unfortunately the latter option leads very often to an endless reboot at the end of the installation. That is why I always recommend to integrate the nForce Sataraid drivers into a bootable OS CD.

Thanx to Fernando... This definitely works if you follow the instructions in the first post.

tools: m2n sli with Nvidia 570 chipset, 4 320GB Seagate SATA HDDs, XP Pro x64, Vista Home Premium x64, nLite v1.4, winrar, nero.

I had a little trouble getting nlite to streamline sp2 in, so I just added the sataraid subfolder and the ide_raid subfolder as explained in the first post, and I was able to install xp onto a raid 1 set with NO problems, sp2 after the install. I had already installed vista on another mirror, so I just physically disconnected those drives before creating the 2nd mirror and installing xp. Afterward, I reconnected the vista drives and both mirrors showed healthy. I choose an OS by setting the corresponding mirror to bootable in MediaShield. After all hardware was configured, each OS insisted on doing a diskcheck at first boot and now all is working perfectly with no further diskchecks.

I bought XP to run ProTools, and I plan to use a free partition on the vista mirror to record audio to, because Digidesign recommends you don't record to the system drive. But I need to free up space on the vista mirror, so I'm pointing most of my data folders to an empty partition on the xp mirror (69). It seems like a somewhat convoluted way to go about things, but it works.. and I think it's cool.

Thanks for your description how you managed to get a perfectly running dual boot system with your nForce Raid array.

This may help other users with similar problems.

• 1 month later...

I'm about to throw my computer out a window :P

First I was unable to get the XP installation going due to the install refusing to read the drivers from the floppy.

I found this here thread and followed the instructions. After burning off a new disc with the drivers integrated windows installed, but now endlessly reboots (the message is displayed so quickly I cannot read it).

My system is the Asus P5N32-E SLI (a 680i chipset). I downloaded the latest 64-bit xp drivers from nVidia, 9.53_nforce_680i_winxp64_english_whql.exe.

I did one disc with just the SATA Raid driver installed in textmode, and I did another with both the Sata Raid in textmode and the other one in pnp. The same problem occurs each time.

Can anyone suggest any further steps?

Thanks.

BTW, here are the details of the drivers I obtained from nvidia:

Ethernet Driver (v60.24) "WHQL"

Network Management Tools (v60.26) "Sedona"

SMBus Driver (v4.57) "WHQL"

Installer (v5.17)

WinXP IDE SataRAID Driver (v6.91) "WHQL"

WinXP IDE SataIDE Driver (v6.91) "WHQL"

WinXP RAIDTOOL Application (v6.91) "Sedona"

And I tried both 1.3.5 and 1.4RC2 of nlite.

I found this here thread and followed the instructions. After burning off a new disc with the drivers integrated windows installed, but now endlessly reboots (the message is displayed so quickly I cannot read it).

My system is the Asus P5N32-E SLI (a 680i chipset). I downloaded the latest 64-bit xp drivers from nVidia, 9.53_nforce_680i_winxp64_english_whql.exe.

I did one disc with just the SATA Raid driver installed in textmode, and I did another with both the Sata Raid in textmode and the other one in pnp. The same problem occurs each time.

Can anyone suggest any further steps?

This has probably nothing to do with the nForce IDE drivers.

My suggestions:

1. Check, if you have flashed the latest mainboard BIOS version.

2. Hit F8 while booting and choose the advanced option "don't reboot at system failure". Then you can read the error message, which may help to find the issue reason.