Integration of nvRaid drivers into XPx64 and W2k3x64

Fernando 1

I believe I know what my problem was all along....I kept using the same windows files over again, I was assuming nLite was creating a whole new windows disk somewhere else. The nvraid.sys file was found in with the win. server2003 package used on the first disk.

Well that all seemed to work just fine this time(stupid mistake, doh). Now to troubleshoot the real problem with the system (got a bluescreen with PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, can't wait to look this up...). Thanks for the help, the guide is excellent.

Well that all seemed to work just fine this time(stupid mistake, doh). Now to troubleshoot the real problem with the system (got a bluescreen with PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, can't wait to look this up...).
Check your RAM sticks or lower your RAM timings.
Thanks for the help, the guide is excellent.
You are welcome.

When I was saying which Textmode should I do, I was meaning that there are 2 options for textmode:

NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller

and

NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER

the disk I made I just used them both (by default both are selected).

As for the other error, we removed some RAM and it works fine. Had issues with a USB backup drive taking over as C: also, but everything is all good now. We'll be checking the RAM some other time, however I'll look into the timing if they appear to be good. It was running fine with it all previously so it leads me to believe one of the sticks is probably bad. Thx again :)

When I was saying which Textmode should I do, I was meaning that there are 2 options for textmode:

NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller

and

NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER

the disk I made I just used them both (by default both are selected).

The answer stands within my guide (first post of this thread):

• During the integration of the textmode drivers you have to enable both nForce Sata/Raid Controller drivers nLite proposes. To make it easier for you, nLite has already enabled both needed drivers.

Ok, i'm pretty desperate right now. Tried everything I could think of, and it still doesn't work. Here's the situation (please don't be afraid to read this amount of text, I tried to give as much info as I could);

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe

2x Kingston ValueRAM 512MB (Dual Channel)

2x Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 250 GB (Raid0, nvRaid)

[2x Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB (Raid0, Silicon Image, not attached to avoid extra problems)]

Software/drivers:

6.86_nforce_winxp64_international_WHQL

nvRaid version 4.84

Story:

After my previous Windows version (XP Pro 32-bit) had worked pretty good for about a year, I thought it might be a good idea to clean my disks and try Windows Vista. So I did. Had some trouble with Silicon drivers at first, but I got it to work. Although the looks of Vista were good, I hated it because of the change in menuing. So I trew Vista off. Next thing I did was completely formatting my 2 hitachi's, and then trying to install Windows XP Pro 64-bit. Here all the trouble began. At first I had to load the Silicon Image drivers, but NONE of them worked (I've really tried every single driver, at every single website at the net). My PC kept hanging at the point of "Setup cannot copy file: Si3114r.sys" and so on with the rest of the driver files. Pretty desperate and tired of making new floppy's all the time, I searched for another way to get the drivers loaded.

I couldn't find one, but what I read was that I could also use the black SATA-ports at my motherboard, which weren't Silicon Image's ports, but nVidia's. New driver to try!! Again, downloaded all drivers for nVidia raid setup to be found at the net, and again without succes! Same point of hanging, although now with files like "nvRaid.sys". Time for another way.

Then I saw the method with nLite. I gave it a try, and it worked... although not entirely.

Problem:

When I putted the nLite edited Windows XP Pro 64-bit DVD in my PC, it worked very well. My PC didn't hang at a file it couldn't copy, it even completed the Windows installation! I thought my life was useful again, and that I would be soon welcomed by the Windows startup sound, as the PC was rebooting after it's installation. Here my feelings were hurt again. Just before the moment when you see the Windows XP logo at a black background with the loading bar underneath it, a blue screen of death suddenly appeared. Rebooting didn't work, it came again. I even formatted the disks again I tried installing Windows again, but with the same result; a f***ING blue screen!!

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFFADFE480F3C0,0xFFFFFFFFC0000034,0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)

Solutions:

I really don't know what to do anymore. It's just so annoying! Can anybody please help me. Post a reply, send a PM or email. Any help would be grately appreciated! :unsure:

Problem:

When I putted the nLite edited Windows XP Pro 64-bit DVD in my PC, it worked very well. My PC didn't hang at a file it couldn't copy, it even completed the Windows installation! I thought my life was useful again, and that I would be soon welcomed by the Windows startup sound, as the PC was rebooting after it's installation. Here my feelings were hurt again. Just before the moment when you see the Windows XP logo at a black background with the loading bar underneath it, a blue screen of death suddenly appeared. Rebooting didn't work, it came again. I even formatted the disks again I tried installing Windows again, but with the same result; a f***ING blue screen!!

It is not easy to help you with the BSOD, because this might have hundreds of reasons.

My advice: Check your BIOS settings regarding overclocking and check your RAM sticks with MEMTEST or try to get Vista x64 installed with just 1 RAM stick.

Regarding your previous error messages "Setup cannot copy file xyz" I have an idea:

Is it possible, that you used a modified (not clean) XP x64 CD as source?

Look into the i386 directory of your source CD (not the freshly nLited one). If you find a file named WINNT.SIF, I know the reason why you got the messages "Setup cannot copy file xyz.": The WINNT.SIF file contains the command for an unattended install. If Windows Setup finds a WINNT.SIF file, it is not able to copy the files of the drivers loaded by F6/floppy.

Solution: You have to use a clean (original) XP x64 CD as source.

If you create a bootable XP x64 CD by using a tool like nLite and you choose the "Unattended Install" option, you have to integrate the nForce textmode drivers. The F6/floppy method does not work with the "Unattended Install" option.

It is not easy to help you with the BSOD, because this might have hundreds of reasons.

My advice: Check your BIOS settings regarding overclocking and check your RAM sticks with MEMTEST or try to get Vista x64 installed with just 1 RAM stick.

Regarding your previous error messages "Setup cannot copy file xyz" I have an idea:

Is it possible, that you used a modified (not clean) XP x64 CD as source?

Look into the i386 directory of your source CD (not the freshly nLited one). If you find a file named WINNT.SIF, I know the reason why you got the messages "Setup cannot copy file xyz.": The WINNT.SIF file contains the command for an unattended install. If Windows Setup finds a WINNT.SIF file, it is not able to copy the files of the drivers loaded by F6/floppy.

Solution: You have to use a clean (original) XP x64 CD as source.

If you create a bootable XP x64 CD by using a tool like nLite and you choose the "Unattended Install" option, you have to integrate the nForce textmode drivers. The F6/floppy method does not work with the "Unattended Install" option.

Thanks for your reply! My RAM is fine, which I can tell because it worked yesterday, before I started formatting. I really need XP, because my ISP (internetprovider) doesn't support Vista yet (kinda weird 'eh?).

What you tell about my XP cd can be correct, because it isn't a clean CD. But when I looked for the WINNT.SIF file, it wasn't to be found. So if it isn't there, my cd should work properly, right? Or is it useful to create a clean DVD and try that?

Thanks for your reply! My RAM is fine, which I can tell because it worked yesterday, before I started formatting.
A 64bit OS like XP x64 is more sensitive regarding the RAM timings than a 32bit OS like XP.
What you tell about my XP cd can be correct, because it isn't a clean CD. But when I looked for the WINNT.SIF file, it wasn't to be found. So if it isn't there, my cd should work properly, right? Or is it useful to create a clean DVD and try that?
Yes, you should always take a clean source. I bet, that you will succeed with the installation, when you create a new nLited Cd with integrated nForce SataRaid drivers according my guide (first post).

Thanks for your reply! My RAM is fine, which I can tell because it worked yesterday, before I started formatting.
A 64bit OS like XP x64 is more sensitive regarding the RAM timings than a 32bit OS like XP.
Yes, you should always take a clean source. I bet, that you will succeed with the installation, when you create a new nLited Cd with integrated nForce SataRaid drivers according my guide (first post).

Ok, I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks, and I'll let you know if it worked. :thumbup

Damnit... I have a (big) problem.

I already had a x86 Windows XP version installed and I decided to give x64 a go, since it was collecting dust on the shelf. Anyways, I used nLite to include the nForce 4 raid drivers, like you said on the first page. So when the CDR was finished burning, I decided to go for it. Anyways; after selecting the partition to install x64 Windows XP version (on Z:) and after installing Windows XP x64 it rebooted and now I am getting a disk read error?!

Also F8 does not work, cause this disk read error keeps popping up?!

Well I am going to redo the cd with nLiteos and hopefully I can make it work again. Cause this is really a problem for me, when I lose my stuff (both company stuff and personal stuff).

Any ideas what may went wrong here?!

Thanks for your input, I will check back later, going to make a new slipstreamed windows xp x64 cd asap...

Okay just to make sure; I added the following drivers:

TXT - BUSDRV SCSIAdapter

TXT - RAIDCLASS SCSIAdapter

PNP - HDC

And the nvidia ethernet and smbus drivers as PNP...

This should be correct right?

Argh....

Again I get the same error:

A disk read error has ocurred.

Please press CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot.

...damnit.

I really hope I am not screwed here.

Let's go over it one more time;

After preparing the the CDR with nLite, it boots from the CDR without problems and starts the Windows XP X64 installation. I do NOT press F6 and wait for the installation to prepare the files. Then I am presented with all the partitions on the RAID 0 HD's (yes they are all there). Then I select the last partition, since I want Windows XP X64 to be installed on it (in my case the last partition is Z:). Then it starts the installation and all looks well. After a short while it says it want's to reboot the PC, which is fine... But then I get the disk read error for some stupid reason.

I really hope I missed something here... I am pretty sure my HD's are in excellent state and do not have any errors of any kind. So please, please advice here....

I will try to create a new nLite cd (yes, again) using the old Legacy method... Maybe that will work.

Will all due respect, if you had read my postings (or at least the last one), you would have read the HD's gave the error... Not the CDR. The CDR is fine!

/edit

I have found something, which I am going to try out:

I had this problem installing x64 on a VIARAID 0 setup, asus A8V mobo.

the problem is definately with MS installer writing an invalid bootsector. not bios,etc...

(prehaps there is a workaround with tweaking bios,changing clustersize, but ultimately the problem is still with ms)

ok so this is the only solution that worked for me:

indeed fixboot is the solution BUT

-fixboot from the recoveryconsole of x64b cd(with integrated raiddriver) did not work

-fixboot with partition table doctor did not work(and i ended up losing 10 gb using ptd,not recommended)

Solution:

-after installing x64, the "Disk Read Error Occured" appears

-startup recovery console WITH XP32bit CD!(with integrated raiddriver) use fixboot

-you should now be able to reboot (dont forget put the the x64 cd back) and finish the installation!

I am building my X86 Windows XP cd as we speak, so I can try fixboot like the person above mentioned... HOPEFULLY this wil work... :S

Edited by HHawk