Integration of nvRaid drivers into XPx64 and W2k3x64

Fernando 1

I've a laptop with a Turion 64 X2, an nVidia nForce 430/410 chipset, and a Windows XP x64 that I'm trying to install. I used nLite to re-compile the Windows with only the SATA_IDE drivers, from the .667 Legacy folder, in TXT mode. I also added the boot-mode option (no tweaks or anything else, to keep it simple).

The setup went fine, it gave me no error that it "can't copy nvraid.sys" during the DOS part, and everything went smoothly until it finished everything and rebooted me into the actual Windows environment. The Windows XP x86 splash image quickly flashed by, was quickly replaced by a blue screen, and the comp immediately restarted.

For any help I need some informations:

Do you use Raid or not? If yes, which nVRaid BIOS version do you see on second boot display?

How many and which sort of hdd's are connected to your mainboard?

Which nForce IDE driver package did you use?

Which SataRaid driver subfolder (SATA_IDE or LEGACY) did you integrate?

What do you mean with "It gave me no error that it can't copy nvraid.sys"? (the 64-bit driver package does not contain such a file, the correct name is NVRDx64.SYS)

For any help I need some informations:

Do you use Raid or not? If yes, which nVRaid BIOS version do you see on second boot display?

How many and which sort of hdd's are connected to your mainboard?

Which nForce IDE driver package did you use?

Which SataRaid driver subfolder (SATA_IDE or LEGACY) did you integrate?

What do you mean with "It gave me no error that it can't copy nvraid.sys"? (the 64-bit driver package does not contain such a file, the correct name is NVRDx64.SYS)

Let me try to answer them as detailed as I can:

1. I don't think I use Raid. The laptop simply comes with an nForce 430/410 Chipset. As such, I don't try to include the RAID drivers in nLite, but it forces me to. When I select "nvatax64.inf" it gives me a menu asking me what mode to use (I choose TXT) and which of the two drivers in the menu to use (I pick both, as it says required on each, and the first post gave me the impression that I should pick them). But no, no Raid.

2. I have only one HDD, the details of which I couldn't give you right now as my laptop is dead right now, so I can't use system manager. All that the HP says about it is that it is "80 GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive." If there's a way I can find out what it is without logging into Windows, I'll gladly try to do it.

3. There is a long and a short answer for this. In short, I used the \IDE\Win64\Legacy folder found in the 6.67 driver package that the first post linked to.

In long, before finding this thread, I have tried the latest nForce 430/410 package found on nVidia's site at the moment, which is called "8.26_nforce_winxp64_international.exe." I don't know why it says international as I got it off the English main download link, nor can I explain the 8.26 version number, when the first post has been discussing various packages starting with 9. This approach worked the same as the Legacy one--full install and then a BSOD at boot.

Before even that, I tried integrating the chipset drivers that came with my laptop, but they were 32-bit and so useless for this case.

4. Ignore that comment. I was simply trying to say that I got no errors during any part of the installation. I just threw in a .sys that came first to my memory, which apparently is the one from the 32-bit driver package to come with my laptop. Sorry for the confusion. I think the error message I referred to in the second paragraph of point 3 would be more fitting here.

Edit: I remember now. The reason I said nvraid.sys is because I also tried manually re-tagging the 32-bit drivers that came with my laptop originally to 64-bit. That didn't work, of course, because during the setup, it was still looking for the original filenames, including nvraid.sys.

Also, if I forgot to mention it, I've been using the latest nLite found on the site, the 1.0 final.

Lastly, I just looked at the nVidia page ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_43...nxp64_8.26.html ), and it says all the drivers are WHQL certified. Yet they refuse to work. Why is this? :(

Edited by sadseh

Never mind. The guide on this page didn't work for me, but that was because of nLite. I found a guide you posted on VitaliGraf.de, http://board.vitaligraf.de/showthread.php?tid=159 , and it worked perfectly with the Unattended Windows CD Creator and its "Bad Controller" option.

I thank you, my good man, for finally ending the 3-day misery that I've frenzied myself by trying to install the damnable Windows on my laptop.

Danke.

Never mind. The guide on this page didn't work for me, but that was because of nLite. I found a guide you posted on VitaliGraf.de, http://board.vitaligraf.de/showthread.php?tid=159 , and it worked perfectly with the Unattended Windows CD Creator and its "Bad Controller" option.
Thank you for posting how you fixed your problem.

CU

Fernando

• 2 weeks later...

Setup cannot find:

nvraid.cat

nvraidco.dll

nvrdx64.inf

nvrdx64.sys

Don't know where nlite told the setup program to look for the files. I have them in all folders of the disc. I have all hard drives out except for the raid 0 drives. I press escape to bypass the files, I get bsod when windows tries booting to the gui portion of setup.

Using the latest nforce driver set. Any suggestions?

Setup cannot find:

nvraid.cat

nvraidco.dll

nvrdx64.inf

nvrdx64.sys

Don't know where nlite told the setup program to look for the files. I have them in all folders of the disc. I have all hard drives out except for the raid 0 drives. I press escape to bypass the files, I get bsod when windows tries booting to the gui portion of setup.

Using the latest nforce driver set. Any suggestions?

You probably have done something wrong (for example using 32-bit drivers for XPx64 or pressing F6 during Setup).

Please give me some informations about your system (sort of nForce chipset,number and sort of hdd, sort of RAID etc.) and the nForce SataRaid driver package version you tried to integrate.

You probably have done something wrong (for example using 32-bit drivers for XPx64 or pressing F6 during Setup).

Please give me some informations about your system (sort of nForce chipset,number and sort of hdd, sort of RAID etc.) and the nForce SataRaid driver package version you tried to integrate.

First of all, they're the 64 bit drivers. I'm not that lame. The write up mentions an inf file that no longer exists. I'm going to try to get the 6.67 drivers, slip those and then upgrade IF the slipping works. Crazy thing, all the other latest nforce drivers slip just fine.

Now the info: nforce 4 chipset, 2 80gb sata1 drives in raid 0. No floppy drive. Go to nvidia's site, those are the drivers I was using.

Please give me some informations about the nForce SataRaid driver package version you tried to integrate.

Go to nvidia's site, those are the drivers I was using.
On NVIDIA's site are a lot of different nForce chipset packages. Which version did you take?

I ask this, because NVIDIA is presenting 64-bit packages on their FTP site without any 64-bit drivers. As a consequence these drivers do not work at all with XPx64 or W2k3x64. That is the reason for my warning within my guide:

Don't use one of the specially for W2k3x64 designed 6.69 packages NVIDIA has on their FTP-Server, they don't contain 64-bit drivers!

@ all nLite 1.0 Final users with problems integrating the nForce SataRaid drivers:

If you get a message like "Setup can't find/copy file xyz", this might be caused by an issue of the Final version of nLite 1.0.

For details look here .

My suggestion: Take nLite 1.0 RC8 until Nuhi has fixed the problem.

Just integrate that particular driver with rc8, otherwise final is better.

But it would be good to apply the fix yourself if you can figure it out from that topic.

Found the answer. First off, started with a fresh x64, yet again. Integrated the drivers, but not the latest one. I used the motherboard cd. That's right, I tried integrating the drivers before the board came in. The manufacturer said Nforce 4, but in reality the drivers are nforce 4 sli. Might not make a difference, but the drivers on the cd slipped no problem using nlite final. Anyone using asus boards, use the drivers disc. All files are right where they belong for slipping.

Thanks everyone.

• 1 month later...

@ all users with an nForce SataRaid system:

After a lot of new tests with the current version of nLite I figured out, that it is possible to get the newest WHQL certified nForce SataRaid drivers installed onto an nForce SataRaid system, when you do a special combination of the nForce SataRaid integration:

• Integration of the SATARAID subfolder (from the suitable nForce chipset driver package) as TEXTMODE driver and additionally
  • Integration of the SATA_IDE subfolder (from the same nForce chipset driver package) as PnP driver!

At the end of the successul OS installation I had a flawlessly running Windows XPx64, all nForce IDE drivers (the SATA and RAID ones) were WHQL certified, which is very important especially for Microsoft's 64-bit operating systems. Another advantage: Windows did install the MS IDE instead of the NVIDIA PATA (=IDE s/w) drivers (a lot of nForce users have troubles with the NVIDIA ones).

These findings might be a big step forward for all users with an nForce SataRaid system, but - as I could only test it with my nForce4 system - the new method has to be confirmed by users with other nForce chipsets. Nevertheless I am very optimistic, that the method works with every actual nForce chipset (except the nForce2 and nForce3 ones).

Please post a feedback of your results into this thread! This would be very helpful for all other nForce SataRaid users.

After having done some more tests I will modify the first post of this thread. Have a look at it for more details about the new nForce SataRaid integration method.

CU

Fernando

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for these instructions! The newer method worked brilliantly for me.

I have a asus m2npv-vm motherboard (430 chipset), am2 64 bit 3800+, 4gb ram and mirrored 320gb hdds.

I had tried the f6 and floppy disk method - but only got bsods.

I have now successfully installed 2003 svr x64 using the 8.26_nforce_winxp64_international drivers.

Cheers

Kym

• 4 weeks later...
is there anything new with the thread for win2k3 R2 x64 ?
As Stove 39 has written within the last post, the new WHQL driver integration method does work with W2k3 x64. So there is a good chance for you too.

My advice: Download the newest W2k3 x64 driver package suitable for your special nForce chipset and integrate the SATARAID (as Textmode) and the SATA_IDE (as PnP) subfolder into the first CD of your R2 CD pack.

Please report here about the result. If you succeed, I will update my guide.

CU

Fernando