Integration of nvRaid drivers into XPx64 and W2k3x64

Fernando 1

I have just setup a raid array and installed x64 on my system using these instructions and the newest nForce drivers. I like others I have seen posted had a problem with windows hanging after loading acpitabl.dat. After spending nearly 10 hours and making more attemps than I even want to try to remember I have found the solution. I am an id***. While attempting to copy nvatax64.inf from the legacy folder I grabbed a file with the same name but a different extension. Perhaps post 1 can be edited with a warning for future Idiots that there a files that look like nvatax64.inf to keep them from making the same mistake.
Thank you for your post. There are not so many people who would realize, that they have done the mistake by themselves, and those, who realized it, mostly do not post it into this thread.

Your advice is good, but not easy to realize. Nevertheless I will try it.

Thanks again!

Fernando

Fernando: just a thought--wouldn't it be simpler just to make an add-on CAB (or add-on CABs) for nForce RAID that we could use with nLite to integrate into our installations? For instance. I've been using Rikgale_XPRAID5_addon_v1.cab without any problems for several builds now. Would such a thing work for your project here?

Fernando: just a thought--wouldn't it be simpler just to make an add-on CAB (or add-on CABs) for nForce RAID that we could use with nLite to integrate into our installations? For instance. I've been using Rikgale_XPRAID5_addon_v1.cab without any problems for several builds now. Would such a thing work for your project here?
The integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers is very problematic because all these drivers are not correctly digitally signed by MS.

At least Nuhi and all nLite users with an nForce SataRaid system were happy, as I found a method to get these "ugly" drivers installed without manual editing INF or SIF files. This was in june 2005.

I would do everything to make it easier, but I don't think, that the integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers as CAB or Add-On-CAB would work. The only person, who can give you definitively an answer is Nuhi - ask him.

Finally someone that's using addons for what they are intended for, not just applications.

Sure, if you're using Rikgale_XPRAID5_addon_v1 for example that's proof enough. If you encouter any issue with such addon and nLite be sure to drop me a message, I'll be happy to fix.

This idea will help to many, when you have the link let me know and I'll put it on the addons page, maybe even open new section for proven drivers.

Nothing I do is proof, necssarily, but for what it's worth, I've used that obscure RAID5 add-on for the last 20-30 builds with no problem that I can detect.

To be honest, I've kind of forgotten that's even in my "Primary nLite CABs" folder (to which I have a "Secondary," an "Alternate," an 'Optional," and an "Experimental" CAB directories--so, you see, it hasn't been in one of those for a while), because since I pretty much never have any problems with them, I usually only change ones when their updated.

But, to be fair, too, I haven't had the opportunity to really play around with the RAID5 functionality, such as it is, because, quite frankly, not many people have computers with the minimum system requirements (at least four hard drives): my thought was just to have it in there, in case at some point in the future, they were to upgrade their hardware to reflect this potential functionality.

All I know is that, such as it, it has never cause any problems.

However, the equivalent of this, created by some enterprising member, for what Fernando has here would be paradise for a lot of people--and essentially make all of this crazy stuff obsolete.

So, ppppuuuullllleeeeaaassseee, someone work on a CAB add-on, or something workably similar, that we can use with nLite (or RyanVM Integrator), or that Nuhi can somehow work into his programming of nLite itself.

Pretty please.

... with Splenda and Nutrasweet on top?

Hello...?

:unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a K8N Diamond plus w/ nforce 4 sli x16 chispet

ms-7220

Detailed Specs:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/26/msi...lus/page11.html

Northbridge Nvidia nForce4 SLI X16

Southbridge Nvidia nForce 430

I/O Components

Mass Storage Controller Nvidia nForce 430

Secondary Mass Storage Controller Silicon Image

I'm trying to install Windows 2003x64

Getting BSOD and unsupported drive error messages.

We tried the nLite Method using nLite RC8 and nForce driver package 6.67

No Luck...

I was hoping to get some help?

No Luck...

Are you able to install W2kx64 by using F6/floppy and taking the SataRaid drivers from the 6.56 package? If not, you probably have a hardware problem.

No Luck...

Are you able to install W2kx64 by using F6/floppy and taking the SataRaid drivers from the 6.56 package? If not, you probably have a hardware problem.

No luck w/ 6.56. We get a BSOD 0x0000007b

(I couldn't find this stop code in the MS Knowlege Server in regards to 2k3 server)

Any other ideas?

No luck w/ 6.56. We get a BSOD 0x0000007b

(I couldn't find this stop code in the MS Knowlege Server in regards to 2k3 server)

Any other ideas?

Maybe your problem has something to do with the fact, that the nForce 430 S-ATA Controller is not really supported by the nForce chipset packages 6.56 and 6.67. Unfortunately NVIDIA has net yet published any special W2k3 x64 driver for the nForce 430/410 chipset.

Try the following:

1. Download the brandnew 64-bit nForce chipset driver package NV_IDE_667 from here, unzip it and prepare the IDE\Win64\LEGACY subfolder for the later integration.

2. Create a new nLited CD, but integrate the just mentioned LEGACY subfolder as TEXTMODE driver.

Before you begin with the installation of the OS, you should unplug all unneeded hardware devices (USB etc.) and remove except 1 all RAM sticks.

Please report here, if you succeeded with the installation or not, because this might help other users with the same problem.

Good luck!

Fernando

EDIT: I just tested the mentioned brandnew nForce SataRaid drivers with Windows Server 2003 x64 by integrating them into a bootable CD. The installation was completely error free, the OS runs like a charme with these drivers! I will add these findings into my guide (first post).

So I really can encourage you to take them for your system too.

Edited by Fernando 1

Fernando 1.. What an awsome guide .. :thumbup:thumbup

I decided to try out x64 on my raid and since I dont have a floppy I integrated the drivers with nLite.. I followed your guide without missing a step and it worked perfect !!

Thanks !

Tried the 6.69 driver integration method by copying necessary files from 6.67. During the Windows XP Pro 64 install it says that it can't find the following drivers:

nf4sys.cat

nf4sys.inf

nfsmb64.cat

nfsmb64.inf

nvide.nvu

nvsmb.nvu

nvuide.exe

nvusmb.exe

idecoi.dll

nvata64.inf

nvata64.sys

nvata.cat

nvcoi.dll

bdco1.dll

fdco1.dll

nvapu64.sys

nvarm64.sys

nvasio64.dll

nvasio.dll

nvaudio.dll

nvax64.sys

nvcoad.dll

nvconrm.dll

nvefd64a.inf

nvefdxp.sys

nvenetfd.cat

nvenetfd.tag

nvmcp64.cat

nvmcp64.inf

nvmcp64.sys

nvnbd64a.inf

nvnetbus.cat

nvnetbus.sys

nvnetbus.tag

nvnrm.nvu

nvnrm.sys

And I got tired of writing them all down, but needless to say it seems like nearly all the drivers I attempted to slipstream. Needless to say once Windows reboots after installation it doesn't load. Just dumps right back to BIOS. I followed the instructions pretty carefully. What did I do wrong?

Here's the problem I'm trying to address:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58509

Tried the 6.69 driver integration method by copying necessary files from 6.67. During the Windows XP Pro 64 install it says that it can't find the following drivers:

And I got tired of writing them all down, but needless to say it seems like nearly all the drivers I attempted to slipstream. Needless to say once Windows reboots after installation it doesn't load. Just dumps right back to BIOS. I followed the instructions pretty carefully. What did I do wrong?

You obviously have done something wrong during the driver integration part of nLite, because your Windows XPx64 setup "misses" all nForce chipset driver files at once including files, which have nothing to do with a correct nForce SataRaid driver integration. XPx64 setup will only "miss" files, which are mentioned in the INF files of third party driver packages. You either picked up wrong driver folders or manipulated some INF files.

I am nearly sure, that you used the "all-at-once" driver package integration option of nLite although I have suggested to use the single driver option:

Important: 
Since nlite v. 1.0 RC7 you have the choice between a single driver or a multiple driver folder integration. You should integrate the nForce SataRaid drivers with the single driver option. Only this way you can be sure, that nLite integrates the correct driver subfolder which you have prepared earlier.

If you have any further problem, here is my advice: Try to integrate the 6.56 Guru drivers by using F6 as you posted at DFI-Street forum. If you succeed, create a new nLited CD by just integrating the LEGACY subfolder of the 64-bit nForce chipset package 6.67 or 9.34.

Don't mix the IDE (in your case: SataRaid) drivers with other nForce drivers (Ethernet, Audio, SMBus etc.). If you want to integrate these non-IDE drivers, you should do it seperately as "normal" PnP driver integration.

P.S.: As I have seen in your DFI-Street forum signature, you are using Maxtor DiamondMax 10 Sata2 disks. Do you know about the problems of these hdd's with nForce4 chipsets? Did you flash a firmware update or jumpered them to Sata1?

Edited by Fernando 1

Hey all, I'm having an issue with this too.

I've a laptop with a Turion 64 X2, an nVidia nForce 430/410 chipset, and a Windows XP x64 that I'm trying to install. I used nLite to re-compile the Windows with only the SATA_IDE drivers, from the .667 Legacy folder, in TXT mode. I also added the boot-mode option (no tweaks or anything else, to keep it simple).

The setup went fine, it gave me no error that it "can't copy nvraid.sys" during the DOS part, and everything went smoothly until it finished everything and rebooted me into the actual Windows environment. The Windows XP x86 splash image quickly flashed by, was quickly replaced by a blue screen, and the comp immediately restarted.

Any ideas of what I did wrong or how to fix it? I've been torturing myself over installing WinXP64 on my new lappy for the past two days (as long as I've had it) with no luck.

By the way, I couldn't tell you anything about my BIOS aside from that it is the one to come with the HP dv2000z laptops. It has no option to disable native SATA support or anything like that. The BIOS menu says it is "PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility," version F.06