Integration of nvRaid drivers into XPx64 and W2k3x64

Fernando 1

I've read your posts and will try to follow your instructions - haven't attempted a build at this level but what the hey! One problem I have been having which led me to this forum is that everytime I try to do the F6 thing, I get a message that my files (NVRD64.sys and NVATAX64.sys) are corrupted.

Any thoughts before I plunge into the nLite method?

As you have no nVRaid array, my guide (post 1 of this thread) is not useful for you.

You should try to install Windows XP x64 without F6/floppy method. Normally Windows XP x64 will detect the SATA drive. After the successful install you may install the nForce4 S-ATA driver (NVATAx64.SYS) by updating the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller within the device manager.

If you want to use nLite for the creation of a bootable XP x64 CD, you should not integrate the nVRaid driver (NVRDx64.SYS), but only the nForce4 S-ATA driver (NVATAx64.SYS).

...and Vista is developed as a 32-bit and 64-bit version too.
Grrr... that is the most stupid thing I have ever heard! Why do they do that? Ah. I get it. They want to sell a new OS for those who don't have a 64bit CPU too. I just hope that the 64bit version will be pushed harder on the markets than the XP64 one ever was.
If you like it or not - within some years you won't work with a 32-bit OS anymore. Do you like 16-bit operating systems? If yes, do you still work with DOS?

:huh:

Fernando:

I tried your suggestion regarding bypassing the F6 procedure but after WIN XP went thru all the usual loads it stopped with the following: "Stop: c0000221 Unknown hard error - Systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll" on a blue screen. Now I am stumped. Any suggestions?

First shot didn't work at all. The installation didn't even see my drive...

Second shot nothing but reboots...

Trying third now, you guys are gonna owe me for my cd's... lol

Hey, has this program even been mass tested before release?

By this message board I assume not.

First shot didn't work at all. The installation didn't even see my drive...

Second shot nothing but reboots...

Trying third now, you guys are gonna owe me for my cd's... lol

If you want help, you should betray some details about your system and the nForce SataRaid drivers you have used.

Which program do you mean?

Two tries so far, both unsuccessful. On the first try, Windows installed successfully, but after the last reboot it just kept on rebooting.

On the second try, I couldn't even get it to install (the setup would hang at "creating list of files to be copied").

Both tries were made with version 6.69 of the nVidia AMD nForce4 drivers, on a Gigabyte motherboard (after preparing that strange combination of 6.67 and 6.69 described in the first post).

Strangely enough, I was able to get a working WinXP 32-bit edition on my first try (using the instructions in another thread).

I will now try again, this time using only the "legacy" folder of 6.67. Wish me luck! :)

If you are referring to nLite, it does its job very well. It's not nLite's fault that the drivers require a lot of jumping through hoops before they can be integrated properly...

Finally! I decided to start over from the beginning (with a fresh WinXP x64 install disk). And the 6.67 legacy drivers. It worked - probably something got mixed up during my previous attempts to integrate the drivers.

So you can add another success to the list - WinXP x64 on a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 (based on a nForce4 Ultra chipset).

Finally! I decided to start over from the beginning (with a fresh WinXP x64 install disk). And the 6.67 legacy drivers. It worked - probably something got mixed up during my previous attempts to integrate the drivers.

So you can add another success to the list - WinXP x64 on a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 (based on a nForce4 Ultra chipset).

Thank you very much for this clarifying post.

When a newbie reads the pages of this thread, he may get the impression, that the majority of the users did not succeed with the driver integration according my guide in the first post, but this impression is absolutely wrong.

Most of the readers of this thread don't give a feedback, when they succeed with the integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers, but they do it, when it fails. In nearly almost cases this failure is due to a hardware problem or a mistake, which was done by the user himself (for example not doing what was layed down in the first post of this thread).

Thanks again, bogd!

Fernando

@ all users of this thread, who want help:

As I will not be at home for 5 weeks, I cannot take part in this thread for a while, but I am sure, that there are other forum members, who will help you.

I'll be back here at the end of May.

CU

Fernando

EDIT: I had to cancel my trip - so I will be present for needed help.

Edited by Fernando 1

• 4 weeks later...

:realmad: Please Help!

Hi all, my names Dave im form Australia and im new to MSFN,

I too am having problems running xp 64 on raided HDD'S i have followed the method mentioned (nlite) with no avail. I have installed latest BIOS, downloaded latest and correct Driver package and prepared can't see where im going wrong installs both txt mode and GUI ok then BSOD after startup screen. Havent seen much mention of the nforce4 sli intel edition and am wondering if any one else has overcome this or can be of some assistance thanks Dave

System

Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Royal F6 BIOS (Nforce 4 Sli intel edition)

Intel P4 3.2GHz EM64

2 x kingston 512mb DDR2 533 Mhz

2x Seagate 200Gb SATA HDD

Gigabyte 6600Gt 128D

Pioneer 109 DVR

I too am having problems running xp 64 on raided HDD'S i have followed the method mentioned (nlite) with no avail. I have installed latest BIOS, downloaded latest and correct Driver package and prepared can't see where im going wrong installs both txt mode and GUI ok then BSOD after startup screen.
Have you tried to boot in safe mode (by hitting F8)?

Which driver package did you use?

Thanks for getting back to me so quick fernando i appreciate the help,

after the initial BSOD Windows boot menu opens and when selecting SAFE MODE PC reboots or hangs on loading. Ihave downloaded the latest xp 64 driver package 7.15 apparantely all are WHQL Have previosly had RAID working on 32bit XP with both Promise 779 and NVRAID controllers(with the 32b drivers), are you aware if ther are x64 RAID drivers for the PDC20779 controller maybe i could try that instead?

thanks dave

Ihave downloaded the latest xp 64 driver package 7.15 apparantely all are WHQL Have previosly had RAID working on 32bit XP with both Promise 779 and NVRAID controllers(with the 32b drivers), are you aware if ther are x64 RAID drivers for the PDC20779 controller maybe i could try that instead?
Unfortunately the actual nForce SataRaid drivers are not correctly digitally signed by MS (not really WHQL). That makes them difficult to install. Especially XPx64 does not like any not WHQL-certified drivers.

Nevertheless you should be able to get Windows XP x64 installed onto your nVRaid array.

Did you integrate the IDE\WinXP\LEGACY subfolder of the 64-bit nForce chipset driver package 7.15 as textmode driver?

Is your nVRaid Bios actual (v. 4.84 or higher)?

If the integration really fails (I don't know why), you can exclude a hardware issue by doing this:

Download the 64-bit nForce chipset driver package 6.56 from Guru3D.

Within the IDE\WinXP folder of that package you will find a zipped file named WINXP.RAR.

Unzip this file onto an empty floppy and install XP x64 by using F6 and the just created floppy driver.

After the successful install you can update the nForce SataRaid drivers.

As I don't have access to a Promise PDC20779, I can't help you with a link to 64-bit drivers for that Raid Controller.

Edited by Fernando 1

I have just setup a raid array and installed x64 on my system using these instructions and the newest nForce drivers. I like others I have seen posted had a problem with windows hanging after loading acpitabl.dat. After spending nearly 10 hours and making more attemps than I even want to try to remember I have found the solution. I am an id***. While attempting to copy nvatax64.inf from the legacy folder I grabbed a file with the same name but a different extension. Perhaps post 1 can be edited with a warning for future Idiots that there a files that look like nvatax64.inf to keep them from making the same mistake.