Looking to buy my 1st DVD Burner...

I currently have a cd-burner and am wanting to upgrade to a DVD Burner.

My current cd-burner is a Lite-On and I am very happy with the performance and compatibility with many media brands.

I want compatibility first and foremost with my new purchase as I have been down the road with previous cd-burners where media brands were a problem. Lite-On is the first cd-burner I have purchased where brand type wasn't an issue. The 2nd thing I look for is speed - I want the quick burn times, BUT with the best results and also the best read times. Noise isn't really a factor unless it's to a point where I have to warn the neighbours it's just me using my pc and not a Jumbo Jet taking off in the backyard.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I just got myself a Pioneer DVR-109! I haven't had a problem with it since! I've burned quite a few DVDs and haven't had one single coaster due to a problem with the burner! ;) Just make sure you use an 80-pin IDE cable to obtain the best speeds from your burner! ;)

You can add me to the Plextor camp as well - got a 12x DVD-burner and a 24x cd burner. None of which has ever failed on me.

Also note the new plexwriters are a sleek distinguished design and very silent in operation (that's an optional setting) when you want to watch a movie a with great dynamic range so that you don't hear the whizz of the drive during the silent passages.

The ripping to HDD also can't be beaten ...

So I'd say: Plextor!

If you want a Plextor, get the cheaper Benq 1640. The Plextor 740a is just a rebranded Benq 1640.

I recommend the NEC 3540a. It has all the features you need. I have the older 3500 and it works great. I also use a Plextor 52x Premium CD-RW.

DVD Writers just don't work as well as Plextor CD Writers.

Too bad Plextor is behind the 8 ball on DVD Recorders. They manufacturer great CD Recorders, but lousy DVD ones.