Winstaller 1.0b1

well, im pretty much stuck on linux this semester, dunno what im gonna do over the summer.

the source is in c and its pretty ugly.. hardly any comments.

hmm... the source is pure win32 so it should run 99% fine under wine, so u make the xml's and tell me what need fixing and ill fix it up..

btw, i also got disucrraged with this when i saw vista's new unnattended system

Ah C :(

I am VB fan. However I was thinking I would like to include this tool on my UA presentation if you dont mind. However first we will need to create xml files for it.

Are there any volunteers around? So we could divide the work and we can do it faster?

Few more questions:

a.) Why isnt this working???

<winstaller>
<item>
 <id>1</id>
 <Title>Use answer file to configure Internet Explorer</Title>
 <Summary>Specifies whether to use Unattend.txt or an .ins file to brand Internet Explorer during an unattended Setup.</Summary>  
 <sifsection>Branding</sifsection>
 <sifname>BrandIEUsingUnattended</sifname>
 <type>yesno</type>
 <default>no</default>
</item>
<item>
 <id>2</id>
 <Title>Ins file to configure Internet Explorer</Title>
 <Summary>Specifies the name of the .ins file (created by the IEAK) for branding Internet Explorer.</Summary>  
 <sifsection>Branding</sifsection>
 <sifname>IEBrandingFile</sifname>
 <type>text</type>
 <default>IEBrandingFile = ietest.ins</default>
</item>
</winstaller>

b.) I am missing button "Save .sif". Usefull when you want to use winstaller just to create winnt.sif file.

ah yes...

ok, if i remember correctly the zip file has most of the default answers which makes your life easier... lemme know if it doesnt and ill reupload all my xmls..

re descriptions.. i think i have most of the stuff for that ready to go, but because no1 ever gave feedback i lost interest and never got around to adding it.. might get that working tonight

Well, I am still missing something like advanced setup manager

(setup manager, that will include ALL available settings).

If you will provide "framework", I will try to create xml for every section.

Could you please have a look at branding.xml I provided? Dont know why it isnt working.

It would be also great if you could make less chaotical XML input... One line for all xmls isnt really comfortable :(

And please dont forget about Save .sif file I spoke about - it is really important for me.

ok, lots to reply to....

tree.xml (doesnt have to be named that...) is used to make the actual tree... every item read in the xmls gets saved, but only the items specified in the tree can be changed by the user, ill look at the code and see if its possible to add everything to the tree, i dont think it will be tho..

"E.g. you could add one control for sections, one for parameters etc.?" ye, use the lists to do this... excpet not all types can be used in the list yet

will add a save .sif file..

ok, im gonna boot into xp and start fiddling with the code, not like im gonna do any homework tonight anyway :P

ill reupload the zip file which has a readme in it and more examples..

ok, im gonna boot into xp and start fiddling with the code, not like im gonna do any homework tonight anyway  :P

ill reupload the zip file which has a readme in it and more examples..

thanx jdgordon for this post,I use this program 2 thimes to made a sif file and have no problems with install,so now I just wait for your update one :thumbup

hey all,

time for an update...

the window can now be resized (needs a bit more work there tho)

the order of the xmls doesnt matter (the tree would not add items that were in xmls after the tree in the xml list)

windows version works a bit better

the xmls have been more "stuff-up" prroof

random other stuff

checkboxes in the tree to show which items are being saved to the sif and which arnt

grab the new build from http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdgordy/win.../winstaller.exe

please post bugs.. and lets all help make the xml files.... (dont post bugs with the check boxes please... not finished addin them)

• 3 weeks later...

well, i tihnk if ppl see the new stuff which has been added since last time they might be in more of a hurry :D

\/ not such a great pic but its good enough

colours.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdgordy/win.../winstaller.zip

as u can see, u can colour the items now (conisder it nice bloat :D ) have a look in quickref.txt in the zip for more info..

also note the project name has been changed... so Martin, can u rename the thread?