Winstaller 1.0b1

hey all,

well some of you may have seen my previous thread about a new tool to get your installs going from inside winpe... well that was scrapped and retsarted and i present to you Winstaller 1.0 (well almost 1.0... minor stuff to add, and im sure there are bugs to be fixed :P )

so i guess you want screen shots aye?

the main screen:

main.jpg

where you fiddle with the answers (and winnt32.exe setup commands

answers.jpg

might as well link to the download while im here... Click Me!!

ok, so in the rar is a few xml files and a exe file... the only required file is the exe... (of course without the xml's the exe is useless....)

all the info needed is read from the xml files so every1 can have different setups :)

im not gonna write up a proper how to here (or right now) coz its not quite 100% finished (and coz im lazy) but i will make some important notes...

- if the file "winstaller.xml" is with the exe it gets read automatically (only the <settings> tag is read at the start)

- <readextraxml> can have as many xml files there as u want (must be less than 2600 chars in length tho), seperated by ; (no spaces)

- you can arrange your xml files any way you want... i split them up to make adding more easy.. but its up to you..JUST REMEMBER TO ADD THEM IN THE CORRECT ORDER TO THE <readextraxml> TAG i was just bug hunting trying to work out why the tree wouldnt load correctly, of course it was because my tree.xml file was read before the items.xml file :blushing:

have a look @ items.xml..

- each item must have an <id> and it must be a unique number (e.g you cant have 1 in more than 1 item OR FILE)

- the type is how you want the data saved to the sif file, so yesno type will save "yes" or "no", onoff is "on" or "off".. geddit? good :D

- <default> is what it starts with..

- <sifsection> is the seciton in the sif it gets saved to..

- <sifname> is the value name in the sif file... if this doesnt exsist it uses <title>

- <title> is only used by the list and tree.. if your not showing the item in the answer changer window u dont need to bother with it (i _think_ )

i tihnk ive got enough examples in the included xmls so u can get started...

and lastly...

- any item can be added to the tree (to do the list u need to add a new item and use its ID in the tree to have it shown)

- only the yesno/onoff/onezero and text and setupcommand types can be added to the list, but ill work on adding more of the types...

- for the setupcommand type, if its by itself checking the yes will use it, and no wont, and in the list, checking it will use it.

almost finished...

- pressing OK ni the answer changer screen saves the changes, cancel erases everything... so if you go in and change stuff and press ok, but then reopen it and press cancel you lose all the previous changes...

stuff to still get done:

- item dependancy - just gotta finish this a bit more

and just incase you have no idea how this program is supposed to be used, setup the xml files how you want them, dump the exe on your win (or bart) PE cd and press install, it will write the sif file and get setup running.... then it will reboot for you (if you want it to)

ok.. so.. um...

bugs, requests, etc....

Edited by jdgordon

Thanx for this winstaller jdgordon!,but I'am not a programmer,so I'am little confused :rolleyes:

Can you give us some finnish xml files with most of used options for Unattended install,so we can start to use it?

ye, im sort of hoping ppl will help out with the sections... if noone does then ill get the main items done tomorow and put them online.

ive got part of a proper help file going which will make things easier for you also.

oh, if an admin thinks this should be somewhere else.. please move it.

Edited by jdgordon

ye, im sort of hoping ppl will help out with the sections... if noone does then ill get the main items done tomorow and put them online.

This will be really great,becouse all of us we can use this new tool! :thumbup

Cheers!

:( i guess i will get as many items done as i can be bothered doing :P

anywho.. ive just added OS dependance so you save different items to the answer file depending on what os you are installing..

i have added the following versions into the code, let me know of any other versions that should get hardcoded.. (i tihnk i got the main ones... its easier to hardcode these and release a new version when a new windows comes out then to allow these to be added)

any, win2k, xp, xpsp2, 2k3, 2k3sp1

dont worry.. you will be able to choose multiple versions for each item...

so, ill add item dependancy and then do all the items and release it as 1.0 (unless ppl find bugs..)

(os dependancy hasnt been uploaded yet so dont bother looking for it)

Edited by jdgordon

hey all...

new version time...

i have now added OS dependance (and that works 100%) and the start of item dependance... (atm it doesnt give you a very descriptive message with what actually is being depended on... but it does fix it if you want it to)

ok, so ive updated the rar file (link in first post), please play with it... im gonna finish the docs for it and start the proper xml files...

cmon guys.. i need feedback....

ive decided to add the yes/no check box to everything so u can choose exactly which items to save to the answers...

also gotta add a new type for the GuiRunOnce section then its pretty much finished..

so ye, if i dont get any feedback with suggestions and requests or something ill assume no more awesomeness can be added and ill release the final version and forget about for a few months...

bumparoony time....

minor updates.

- new setting in winstaller.xml <disableok>1</disableok> will guess what.. disable the install button :o untill the answers are edited (so no accidental installs without certain answers being set)

- text types have been changed to the same as textwithchoice, so now you can chooose which items to save or not (and what to save as their values)

- added the command type, this type is used to just save any text to the sif under a section (e.g GuiRunOnce which doesnt have a value name (the part before the = sign)) so now unattended installls with post install installs can get done.

- added a started winstaller readme.doc file in the rar...

cant tihnk of any other updates to this version...

so.. um... FEEEEEEEEDDBAAAAAAACKK ppl... common....

any1 started heir own xml's yet???

• 1 month later...

I agree!jdgordon is made a nice tool and just small things is not finnish yet for not such expert users like me,so I hope that this tool have a one finnish xml file,so we can use it all of us :thumbup