what is the recommended RAM for XP

Nepali

the bare minimum you will want for xp is 512,any less and it won't run to it's fullest,more than 512 is good to have in xp and for the cpu get an amd as they cost far less than intel and do more per clock cycle but for the ram go for ddr if your mobo supports it as it runs alot faster than the older sdram does.

I've had it run half decent on a 500MHz machine with 128 ram, but I'd rather see a minimum of 800MHz with 256 ram.

but hey, with computer prices being so cheap, why not build a 3GHz machine with 1GB or more ram?

More RAM is better but 128 is recommended minimum but this drpends on what you do with your machine. As far as best processor to use a whole discussion can be opened up. I like AMD myself while it uses more power and generates more heat it is generally a more rugged processor and lends itself to overclocking well.

128mb is ok unless you run Norton Systemworks. Sysworks is a memory hog. 256mb is my recommended minimum. Of couse, anything greater is always better.

EDIT: 500Mhz machines suck, but will do if the need arises.

Edited by dougiefresh

will combination of 256+256+128 work perfectly or its exact capacity is just 512 MB

i have heard that all RAM DIMM should of the same size.

My board is intel d845WN

and have 256+256+128 but not sure are they working in their best or not.

I like AMD myself while it uses more power and generates more heat it is generally a more rugged processor and lends itself to overclocking well.

Actually, it's the P4's that are the hot beast atm. AMD64's run very cool comparitively. Admittedly AMD processors ran hotter at one time (anyone remember the 1.4GHz Thunderbird?), but that was then and this is now.

Actually, it's the P4's that are the hot beast atm.  AMD64's run very cool comparitively.  Admittedly AMD processors ran hotter at one time (anyone remember the 1.4GHz Thunderbird?), but that was then and this is now.

Hehe... I've got a 1.33GHz T-bird in my desktop at home right now... with a massive 92mm fan for the CPU. It never goes above 46C... :P

But to get back on topic... I'd say that 256MB is the minimum for decent functionality. If you want a computer to run really smoothly, go for 512MB, and if you're going to do anything memory intensive, 1GB or more.

If all you do is have one or two apps open to check your e-mail and stuff (This probably doesn't apply to you), then 256MB is plenty. For normal usage 512 is a good number (That's what I have). You really only need more than that if you do some insane multi-tasking or heavy video-editing. All of this assumes that you have DDR-400 or better.