Using a TV as moniter

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about the latest TV's today but, as far as I know, your image quality will be a lot worse then if you would've used a normal computer screen. Why? Well, for starters, they can't handle that high resolutions and refresh rates. I've used two different tv's and both had a pretty blurry image, but I guess it's ok if you play games a lot, but I think your eyes would suffer from it, but this could all be old. I used CRT tv's, maybe the LCD's are a lot better, this is just my experience.

Why would you want to use a TV instead of a monitor? Is it because you want a larger screen? Or do you think you will have more use for a new TV than a new monitor?

The only scenarios in which you should even consider using a TV as your monitor is for watching movies, playing some games and maybe to control your music (in a HTPC/media center). Normal usage such as web-browsing, writing and similar activities "requires" a real monitor with higher resolution.

Personally I sometimes use a TV (32" widescreen 100Hz) for watching movies and it works quite good.

Most graphics cards released in the last few years have built in TV-out, so try it and see for yourself. The image quality may vary between different TV:s, but what you see is probably not very far from what you can expect.

• 5 weeks later...

Since it sounds like you haven't purchased the new tv yet, why not just buy one with a PC input already built in?

For example, I'm looking at the Samsung line of DLP monitors with 1080p resolution for myself. Here's a 61" model that goes for about $4k. It's got a PC monitor input (D-sub 15 pin), a pair of HDMI inputs, and all the usual composite, component, and S-video connections. Just plug in your PC and set the resolution to 1920x1080.

Since it sounds like you haven't purchased the new tv yet, why not just buy one with a PC input already built in?

For example, I'm looking at the Samsung line of DLP monitors with 1080p resolution for myself.  Here's a 61" model that goes for about $4k.   It's got a PC monitor input (D-sub 15 pin), a pair of HDMI inputs, and all the usual composite, component, and S-video connections.  Just plug in your PC and set the resolution to 1920x1080.

I've got the previous model, which does 720p and 1080i, and both look and work *great*. I love my 61" Battlefield 2 and World of Warcraft sessions :)

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying a viewsonic N2750w from Costco.

Its a 27 inch widescreen and was only $899

I really like it except for some minor quirks. The remote is way too basic and doesnt have a remote code so you cant use a universal remote unless its a learning one.

Also it's a bit slow to switch between inputs like tv to monitor...

Also the entore screen goes blank for 1 second as you switch between pip and regular mode.

As long as you get a learning remote like the harmony I highly recommend this monitor.