Northbridge chipset fan Died out on me

dl0711

With your Northbridge chipset fan crapping out & Dieing can that f-up any hardware? I'm asking because I had 2x 1GB ram = 2 gigs of ram on my MSI board everything was working at 100% till my Northbridge fan stopped working and never noticed it till my computer was going funky on me but I was thinking some sort of virus was in my system so I reformatted and installed a fresh copy of everything. Still hade the same errors and still acted funky so I formatted again and again this happened for about 3 days till I called up a friend and he said sounds like its hardware. So I opened up my system turned it on and the Northbridge fan was not moving. So now I get almost in every sect of the 2 sticks of ram I get errors. Also seems like it also f-upped my 3 hard drives. I told MSI this and they said that can’t happen.

You northbridge is over heating becuase the fan is not working, this is the most probably cause of you problems.

1) Get a new fans or remove and clean up the old one. Cleaning them with compressed air sometimes will give anohter couple of months of life and replace fan ASAP.

or

2) Get a Zalman northbridge cooler. It has no fan and therefore will never stop working.

I suggest trying not to use this machine until you can fix your cooler, you will start doing damage to the motherboard if you allow it to over heat for too long by too much.

HTH Rik

Edited by rikgale

I'm not useing it anymore. but just asking if it could f-up my ram and my HDD ? because b4 the NB Fan died everything was working at 100%. i got a new board but the ram and HDD are always geting errors. so just wondering if its because the NB Fan dieing?.

I'm stumped on that one.

I can't see how the northbridge fan failing could screw the RAM and the HD's. I'm assuming that u've run memtest86 on your RAM.

What hardware did you have and what are yoiu running now?