XP Hotfix Limits Number of Connections

shadow0890

Hi. I've recently read about how a recent Windows hotfix modifies the tcpip.sys file and limits the number of TCP/IP connections to 10. Does anyone know which hotfix changes this, and if so, does it only apply to Windows XP SP2?

I'm currently on SP1, but I don't want to install this hotfix because I heard that it can degrade download performance, online gaming, and other high-bandwidth services.

Wow thats an interesting thought there...anyone care to elaborate? That would blow if there is a hotfix like that but I thought in the registry there was a way to up the number of connections.

1) no hotfix (nor XP SP2) limits the "number of openned connections". What is limited is the "number of openning connections".

2) XP SP2 and every post-sp2 hotfix that include the TCPIP.SYS file do that.

3) there is a 'atb_search.gifSearch' link somewhere on this page. Which one of you will manage to find it before the other ? :angel:

It's completely correct what Delprat says. And for the new version of the tcpip.sys there are also new patches available so that it shouldn't be a problem to re-fix the number of possible connections to open.

1) no hotfix (nor XP SP2) limits the "number of openned connections". What is limited is the "number of openning connections".

2) XP SP2 and every post-sp2 hotfix that include the TCPIP.SYS file do that.

3) there is a 'atb_search.gifSearch' link somewhere on this page. Which one of you will manage to find it before the other ? :angel:

1) What do you mean? I heard that the patch(es) can limit functionality of using P2P applications and online games. I am confused about the difference between opened and opening connections. If you are limited with opening connections, how can you have more opened connections if there is a limit of how many can be opening? It's like saying you have 30GB of data on a 20GB hard drive.

2) From what I remember, only one hotfix made the big change from changing the limit from like 100 to 10.

3) I tried searching, however I couldn't find a post about this.

Edited by shadow0890

The change was made in SP2, and EVERY hotfix containing TCPIP.SYS there after includes teh limitation. HOWEVER, you're missunderstanding the limitation.

The limitation puts NO limit on the number of connections you can have open. It merely puts a limit to the number of connections that can be opened in ONE SECOND. This should have NO effect on P2P or Online Gaming. The application should get a connection refused if nothing else and most likely tries again later on.

If this REALLY bothers you, google search for "Event ID 4662 TCPIP.SYS" and there is a hack program to up the number.