Using shutdown.exe tool to shutdown remote PC

Hi I am trying to shutdown computers in the LAN running winXP sp2 and win2000 sp4 but shutdown.exe tool doesnt work at all. I cant shutdown down remotely even if I try the same OS. It appears "The network path was not found" though I supplied the right username and sometimes I use \\ipaddress heres my script shutdown -s -m \\computername -t 00 -c "comment" whats wrong with this? do i still have to run some services or configure the LAN PC to accept shutdown? sometimes it would say "Access Denied" but I'm using the same admin local account for all the PC. pls help and advice me...thanks alot to all!!!

Edited by sakulati

Hi,

Try the following:

Connect to the ipc$ share with admin rights, then try to run your shutdown command again. If this doesn't work check the following settings:

1. Is the remote Computer Windows XP and has Firewall enabled?

2. Is Remote Shutdown restricted in the Local Security Settings? (User Rights Assignment->Force shutdown from a remote System)

Bye, Egon

Yeah, try:

"net use \\computeryouwanttorestart\ipc$ /user:usernamewithadminrights passwordofthisuser" (without the quotes)

Then the shutdown command that you gave.

You're getting an access denied, so that gives hope that you will be able to reach it.

Edited by Akos

Yeah, you can use the psshutdown which you can get from sysinternals, or just use the shutdown that's included in xp or 2003 (don't know if it's included in 2000)

Note that with the "net use" command you don't even need to be in a domain. As long as you have proper credentials for that machine you're trying to shut down, you will be able to do that.

if u have still problem for remote shoutdowning computer, i guss you must enable remote regirstry on target machines. (a Dword key in registry). and the best software for planing Remote shoutdown, Remote restar and wake-On-Lan is "Lan Helper v1.43", use it ?