WinntbbuED

This looks like an excellent program!!! only I can't use it :(

I installed it along with VB6 runtime (SP6 something) and also MODIFYPE.EXE in System32 in case it was needed.

Only thing is that when I open a random WINNTBBU.DL_ from the other topic where every posts them it can't open.

I get an error window with title "Loading aborted" and the message "Expanding the File ... has failed. Can't continue!".

So I tried opening the original file from the CD and this one does open. Only when I edit it and attempt to save it, it won't save. It doesn't give an error only when I look at the location where it was supposed to be saved there will be no file what so ever.

What is wrong? Can anyone help? Tried this on 2 machines, Win XP SP2 and Windows 2003 SP1.

• 2 weeks later...

I went across this error when trying to use the program

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1967/wi...uederrorhc9.jpg

Windows XP Home Edition / SP1

It happened when I try to open the WINNTBBU file from the I386 directory.

I installed it along with VB6 runtime (SP6 something) and also MODIFYPE.EXE in System32 in case it was needed.

Only thing is that when I open a random WINNTBBU.DL_ from the other topic where every posts them it can't open.

I get an error window with title "Loading aborted" and the message "Expanding the File ... has failed. Can't continue!".

So I tried opening the original file from the CD and this one does open. Only when I edit it and attempt to save it, it won't save. It doesn't give an error only when I look at the location where it was supposed to be saved there will be no file what so ever.

What is wrong? Can anyone help? Tried this on 2 machines, Win XP SP2 and Windows 2003 SP1.

Similar problem as above.

Edited by mistakiula

1- Extract WINNTBBU.DLL from WINNTBBU.DL_. A simple way is to rename WINNTBBU.DL_ to WINNTBBU.cab, then use WinZip to extract WINNTBBU.DLL from WINNTBBU.cab.

2- Use ResourceHacker (or whatever) to change graphics/text in WINNTBBU.DLL.

3- Use WinntbbuED to view/review your work and to change text colors to your liking.

4- Use MODIFYPE.EXE to check your new WINNTBBU.DLL.

5- Re-cab your final WINNTBBU.DLL to WINNTBBU.DL_ again.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi! i tried this very recently ... i felt great to be able to change setup screens :) however, 2 things i noticed: (1) Billboards don't show when XPize is slipstreamed; (2) "Finalizing Installation" is not in Bold like the others ... here are some inquiries: (1) would the font for "Setup will complete in approximately: xx minutes" be changeable too? would it's text depend on syssetup.dll for it to be ready for editing? ... (2) i didn't change the resolution of the bitmap i used ... & it seemed to work ... do still i need to change it to lower resolution (640x480 or 800x600)? ... lastly i just need to confirm: after processing the file(s) with this nice little app, i just have to replace the i386 files with these, right (uncompressed winntbbu.dll & compressed syssetup.dl_)? thanks! :)

• 3 weeks later...

ey Kel! thanks for the confirmation ... already found out the ans to my Qs due to experiments (as sadly i had to create my build earlier than any reply could be posted :( ) ... no harm though ... perhaps, interest on this side of the forum has waned a little ... ;) ... posted a resolution to my similar inquiry here ... a sample of what i did here ... thanks again Kel!

• 2 months later...

does this work in windows 2003 server to modify its files? I am running Winxp ON MY Laptop and this program. However when I try to use this to modify its file it doesn't work. do I have to do it by hand? John :whistle::angry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...