VmWare or Virtual PC

FortyTwo

I would really appreciate peoples opinions on which of these is the best for running on win xp.

Im looking for stability, and compatibility with xp. I dont want something that is likely to trash my xp install.

I know this is a bit of a wide open question, but if anone has experince of both or either of these id really like to hear what you think of them, the pros and cons of each etc.

Personally Im leaning toward Virtual PC, being its from Microsft Im inclined to think it will hav ebetter compatibility ans stability - is that a wrong assunption?

Hope someone can shed some light on this as Ive never used a virtual machine before, in the past Ive always used drive racks but thats no longer an option.

ps: Hi and nice forums! :hello:

first to say... :hello:

virtual pc for me but you should understand this is a really personal election.

vmware should give more "real compatibility" but for me it doesn't worth enough to install all those drivers and stuff it comes with :)

Hiya,

My 2¢:

Having tried both (plus QEMU, although I never got it to work), I've got to say VMWARE is far faster, more user friendly, and more stable than M$'s VirtualPC. It's more expensive, but well worth it.

Good Luck!

Microsoft VirtualPC will give you what you need, so if it's for the occasional UACD test, it'll do the trick.

If you are really hardcore and care about getting things done fast and easily, then VMWare is the way to go. Like SiMoNsAyS (man that name is a pain in the butt to write...:P ) said, it integrates itself into your system a bit more, but that gives you a little bit more control over "device" settings and such.

I personally prefer VMWare over VirtualPC, since you can set the VM to get its own IP from your ethernet port. This means that you can test out firewall software in the virtual PC, while still running your usual firewall on your real computer.

Not to mention that VMWare is more friendly when it comes to Linux. ;)

Guys i really apreciate your responses, and really quick too!

I want to tesy Alpha and Beta linux releases. im not too worried about tesing firewalls etc, there are other who can do that. Im looking fo rsomething that will allow me to install and uninstall mulitple test candidates without hosing my system.

If you're going to install Linux, then VMWare is the way to go.

I just installed Ubuntu 5.04 in a VM this morning, and it automatically picked up on the video acceleration and mouse drivers (something that you have to install extra in a VM Windows install).

Hi,

under Windows, VMWare installs like most other Applications without any hassles. Just walk through the Installer, start VMware and use it.

No need to tweak any things in order to get it running. (Under XP and VMWare5 not even a restart of your machine is required)

Bye, Egon

I have used both and VMWare was pretty fast. But it's not as smooth as virtual pc. (i.e. I got pain in the eyes just keeping up with the moving mouse pointer of a Windows XP installation)

With the SP1 for Virtual PC 2004, it's become better. The processor load in a Linux setup was very high before SP1, and now it's about 1-2% when idle.

I'm using VirtualPC and it's enough for me. But it lacks the USB flash drive support.

@Anusha - VMWare has full USB support. You can set the virtual machine to use the USB ports when it has focus. Yes, VMWare needs the VMWare drivers to be installed in Windows installation for it to be super smooth, but when you're testing out an XP install... why do you need the mouse pointer? That's what UA CDs are for... ;)

@timeless - You have stability issues with VMWare5? I've never run into any problems with it. What kind of problems do you have?