Question about Mounting Partitions with XP

phillyman2004

Ok i have two 250 gig harddrives

I at first wanted to Raid them together with Raid 0

I wanted a Solid drive to work with, just to keep a file structure together

But today when i formated the drive thru windows disk manager, i saw the option to mount in on another drive

Can i just do this instead

Basically make four 58 gig partions , and mount them in folders on the first drive where needed ?

Thanks

I can't answere your question but give your post a little time. The person(s) who can help you may not have gotten to your question yet.

Cheers,

DL

Ok i have two 250 gig harddrives

I at first wanted to Raid them together with Raid 0

I wanted a Solid drive to work with, just to keep a file structure together

But today when i formated the drive thru windows disk manager, i saw the option to mount in on another drive

Basically make four 58 gig partions , and mount them in folders on the first drive where needed ?

Thanks

you could certainly do that, but if you want it to be solid(reliable?) you should use raid 1.

you cannot make a raid0 in software in windows, you need to use hardware or "hard"ware raid. ("hard"ware being the stuff that usually comes on motherboards or costs less than $100)

@mjc

Are you sure a software RAID 0 is not possible on Windows XP? I mean, even software RAID 5 is possible, why not RAID 0?

@phillyman

Open the computer management (compmgmt.msc) and select disk manager (I think it's called "disk manager", isn't it?). The right-click a hard-disk in the list at the bottom and select "Convert into dynamic disk" (or whatever MS called that). Then you might be able to create a new drive with RAID 0, but I am NOT SURE about this because I couldn't test it. I only know that it's possible to create a RAID 5 array like this (though to do that you have to hack some files ^^).

Thanks

Certainly can. This makes it easier to maintain the drive, with smaller volumes. Instead of giving them drive letters, you assign them empty folders to mount to. Basically, it is a junction point. I have a 200 gb drive, with 4 volumes. Each is mounted as a folder.