ghosting xp image

bhurtel

basically we creat and restore xp ghost image in the same PC, but

my computer is (D845wn, pentium 1.8, segate 40 GB, 640 RAM,) now i want to make ghost of XP installed in this PC to be worked in a new PC of (tamoto 840, 700 MHZ, 256 RAM, maxtor 20 GB).

when i restore that image in new p3 PC it failed

protection error popup

plz guide me

p_bhurtel@hotmail.com

i also know that it can't be don't without special tweaks

i have heard abt sysprep and tried also

but i was unsuccessful

some body told me that .. it is because of HAL

whats de matta

plz guide me

with sysprep tools

i am not searching excuses over here,

those funky tricks i also know,

i just wanted to make a universal XP ghost image so that it can be cloned to any hardware PC

Don't post saying " it can't be dont"

or

if u don't know the exact solution

i appreciate the tough answer .

OK, I won't say it can't be done, But I will say that I think you should be looking at unattended install, not ghost. That is really only appropriate for same or very similar machines. Unattended install is universal solution.

here is a little trick i do to create a image and restore..

when i clean install xp on my computer i create 2 partions, i use 80% for my os

after i install updates, drivers, ect..i go to disk management, create a new partion but without the drive letter...then using ghost i do a partion to a image file storing the image on the 2nd partion. i have a 2nd hard drive for my docs, music, software ect....

if i feel like reloading my operating system or if i get a virus.....i just retore my ghosted image that is stored on the 2nd partion to the first...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,...

I have made a lot of experiments about sysprep and ghost, and sometimes (lots of sometimes) I have problems with different Hals. As i Know, is no solution for a 100% sucessefully image for other hardwars. Maybe the last post works. :huh:

thanks

snow

ps - my english.

ps- the solution that works better :wacko::whistle: is one that i made in one old pc, without Acpi. :huh:

i was able to accomplish this for my last contract job. i have a xp sp2 ghost image with all their apps that will work on every machine they have thrown at it so far regardless of the hardware differences. if you want shoot me a email and i should be able to help you out.

thanks

OK, I won't say it can't be done, But I will say that I think you should be looking at unattended install, not ghost. That is really only appropriate for same or very similar machines. Unattended install is universal solution.

I have never used ghost but i am curious to know the time factor of reloading a ghost image versus the unattended install?

Thanks

Hi again,

Take a look :

UIU works by setting up your "master" computer so that the Image that is subsequently created from it (using your favourite cloning application) can be deployed smoothly and reliably to multiple hardware platforms. It is ideal for new Image-deployments, software and operating system upgrades, Windows security updates and new system builds, just to mention a few.

To ensure correct compatibility with most business-class desktops and laptops, UIU contains software drivers for over 35,000 hardware components from brands such as Dell, HP, Compaq, IBM, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, as well as hardware component manufacturers Intel, 3Com, VIA, nVidia, ATI, SoundMax, and many more.

By incorporating UIU into your Imaging process you eliminate the problems typically associated with multi-platform Imaging attempts, such as error messages, blue screens on cloned machines, incompatible HAL's, or IDE controllers that don't work.

http://www.binaryresearch.net/UIU/About.htm

I'm new but I know.