Could SomeOne Help ME!

Chrisackford

I think what he is asking is can you use more than on CD so that when you have files copying over during the text mode phase (not T-12), it will stop and ask you for the 2nd CD and then continue copying stuff onto the hard disk.

I think the answer is no, in general, but it may be possible as long as you have a reboot command on the 2nd CD. I don't know how this might interfere with MS setup routine, but it continues from the hard disk after reboot. If it needs to access the CD anytime after, you should probably swap it again.

Now, the obvious question is why not just use a DVD? The drives cost no more than CD drives these days and you don't have to go through any hassle. I know, your target computer has no DVD. So, bring one with you and swap it temporarily, or encourage your recipient to take the plunge and invest like €20 in a DVD drive.

Yea I think you are right DonDamm, the link I suggested, is for after

The Oem copy stage. I have not used it during that stage. As you, I

am not sure it is possible to prompt for a second CD at that time.

But, it is still a valid question. I have two DVD's worth of stuff I pre-load.

So it can still be necessary to swap DVD's during an install. That's why

I use the program above. It would be nice to know that it could be done

at the OEM copy stage though. :)

I don't really think it's possible. Running at text-mode can't be done as far as I know, so the alternative would be running at presetup.cmd, before the actually GUI-mode setup. This is very tricky, as Windows isn't capable of launching any advanced programs then (stuff like Notepad or my CDswitch won't work then). It's only capable to execute basic DOS-programs.

Now, I don't see why you would want to copy over such a large amount of data. Two reasons and work-arounds:

- to copy over installers: install from CD

- to copy plain data: copy from CD later

Both would be faster anyway.

I'll look into it, but don't get your hopes up. :P

Edited by Nanaki