Simplest Firewall software?

I'm in need of the simplest firewall software out there, meaning I only need software which would allow me to tell it which application can access the internet (total upload/download blockage control) and which not at all. It should be small, simple, and hog as few system resources as possible. I'm aware of ZoneAlarm and Outpost, but those hog way too much resources and offer me countless features which I have no need for. Which one do you recommend? Oh, it should support (run on) Win2k3 too.

I'm currently using Kerio Personal firewall on one of my desktops, I like it a lot - it has now converted itself to it's free for personal use but not so advanced features mode. That happens after a 30-day trial mode.

You can configure it to use advanced setting while installing it an so it will pop-up messages when some application tries to access the .net, depending on you to grant or deny that access. Simple setting will just act silently but still control what happens on application level.

Quite nice - try it - that's my advice ...

Regards

Jacob

I'll agree with CBC here. Sygate would be my personal choice. It does pretty much exactly what you're asking for - notifies you when a program tries to connect to the internet and asks you if you want to allow it access (Both upload and download).

Other than that, it sits there quietly, taking up a mere 10MB of RAM and very low CPU usage. It only bothers you when it needs your input.