%CDROM% Is Not Used By WPI

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\file.txt set CDROM=%%i:
echo Found CD-Rom as drive %CDROM%

this part of the batch file, that is run before WPI.hta is executed, correctly identifies my dvd drive.

but it seems that the created variable isnt used by WPI. after i click install in WPI i get the errormessage that "pathtoWPI\applications\programname\setup.exe" cant be found

an example would be: "c:\install\wpi\apps\dotnet\netfxsp1.exe" could not be found blablabla...

"c:\install\wpi\" is the path to the windows post installer that has been copied to the hard disk. instead it should simply be "d:\"

strangely enough, the above script correctly identifies the dvd drive as d:

why isnt that value used by the WPI? i double checked the paths, its all correct. this error happens to all programs i try to install from DVD. so it cant just be a typo or something.

not that i know of.

it happened in VMWare and on my home pc. i really dont know what these two have in common that causes this error.

edit: i noticed something else, but i dont know if its related: the cdrom system variable is not available in any other cmd windows i open, only in the one it was created in.

edit2: i now disabled the script that looks for the cdrom drive. instead i created the cdrom variable in the properties dialog of "my computer". the variables that are created there have a sytem wide scope. but it still doesnt work...

Edited by what3v3r

SOLUTION FOUND!

Windows Post Install Wizard actually ignores the CDROM variable! i left the cmd script that looks for the drive disabled and looked around in the .js files that the WPI is composed of.

among others, i found this line:

if (FileExists(li[i]+'\\WPI.ico'))

the problem in my case is, that i dont use the wpi.ico file to identify the dvd drive.

after changing the file name to the one i use, everything worked!

i really dont understand why there is a script in the .cmd file to identify the cdrom drive, if that variable isnt even used in the cmd file itself.

Edited by what3v3r

SOLUTION FOUND!

Windows Post Install Wizard actually ignores the CDROM variable! i left the cmd script that looks for the drive disabled and looked around in the .js files that the WPI is composed of.

among others, i found this line:

the problem in my case is, that i dont use the wpi.ico file to identify the dvd drive.

after changing the file name to the one i use, everything worked!

i really dont understand why there is a script in the .cmd file to identify the cdrom drive, if that variable isnt even used in the cmd file itself.

some ppl are having trouble with this ,, a solution for some ppl was to replace the

with
if (FileExists(li[i]+'\\WIN51'))

it may fix youre problem but i dunno

thx lost soul,

but i already fixed my problem! there should be a way to customize this in the gui. i imagine that many less experienced people have this problem, and no clue how to fix it

no problem m8 i was having the same prob with it not finding the correct drive until i switched it all to find win51 instead of the wpi.ico file, and that fixed it for me of course i had to reroute the addy to point to the win51 file in the root but after that it worked like a charm