98micro ISO

kokiri

• 9 months later...

Now that you have your Micro win98, make it corporate :D meaning that you don't need a serial number B)

Extract the Win98 CD content to your hard disk (e.g. F:\W98) with WinISO as a

bootable .iso-file within this file find: Precopy2.cab

Open it with WinRar then, find setupx.dll & extract it to somewhere.

Open extracted setupx.dll using eXescope

In eXescope, expand "Resource" then "String" & find number "96"

Click on "96", on the left you will see this number "1526,111" or "1526,

121" or "1526, 115"... ... The last 2 digits may vary depending on the

version you have. In any case, change "1526,1xx" into "1526,100" and save.

Import the modified setupx.dll into the same

folder (win98 folder on CD) where precopy2.cab (and a bunch of other cab-files) reside.

Now, each time you run the install for Win98, you won't have to enter any

serial number, nor will there be an upgrade/OEM/full check. You can do

either a clean install or an upgrade as you wish, because it becomes a full

version.

Edited by xplorerUSA

xplorerUSA thanx for good informations! :lol:

Do u maybe know how to install lastest DirectX9.0c on Win98SE after installation with 98lite?

I prefer to remove complete IE from 98se but it seems that DX9 need it.

Is there some diferent way for installation!?

Nicke85,

litepc.com has a guide to do that, but for some reason today is not working, this is the link to that tip:

http://www.litepc.com/support/kb.cgi?view=51

or see these posts:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ectX9.0c+litepc

or this one:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ectX9.0c+litepc

i have directX8 on my system, i'll try to install v 9, and post the results

good luck

Edited by xplorerUSA

• 7 months later...

Thank you for all this information everyone, and a special thank you to xplorerUSA for his comprehensive guide. Now that I know how to make a micro98 I need the necessary files for the 98lite to build on. I was able to dig out a windows 98SE CDROM from my basket of trash, however I do not have the windows 95 CDROM. Since windows 95 has long been dead there is little hope I may get it on my own. Please, share with me your copy of explorer.exe v4.00.XXX, Shell32.dll v4.00.XXX and Comdlg32.dll v4.00.XXX from the windows 95. Thank you in advance

Thank you for all this information everyone, and a special thank you to xplorerUSA for his comprehensive guide. Now that I know how to make a micro98 I need the necessary files for the 98lite to build on. I was able to dig out a windows 98SE CDROM from my basket of trash, however I do not have the windows 95 CDROM. Since windows 95 has long been dead there is little hope I may get it on my own. Please, share with me your copy of explorer.exe v4.00.XXX, Shell32.dll v4.00.XXX and Comdlg32.dll v4.00.XXX from the windows 95. Thank you in advance
Please refrain from double-posting.

2nd post deleted.

Best wishes.

• 8 months later...

I'm having the same problem that kokiri was; just wondering if he ever found the fix.

I have a 98SE source and 98lite Professional v4.7 made into a bootable ISO using MagicISO. I took a Windows Me boot floppy image and edited the startup scripts to make a menu prompting 1) Install 98SE, 2) Install Me, 3) Start DOS with CD, 4) Start DOS minimal. (Side note: I didn't know this before just trying it, but device=himem.sys isn't necessary because apparently it's part of Me's DOS environment already... just says an XMS manager is already installed when nothing else in CONFIG/AUTOEXEC would suggest so) I took this floppy image and rewrote it, also using MagicISO, into an IMA file which I imported into the ISO. Works awesome in that light.

What I've done (since 98lite requires its own program files, the three optional 95 shell files, and the Windows source in the same folder on the hard drive) is configure the script to:

1. Load the CDROM driver (MSCDEX.EXE in Autoexec, OAKCDROM.SYS in Config)
  2. Set PATH to reflect the emulated A:, C:, and the CDROM variable
  3. Quick-format C: (assuming the user has already partitioned it as desired)
  4. Un-RAR the 98lite files + the chosen Windows source to C:\W9XSETUP\ (Me-lite works, by the way)
  5. Navigate to C:\W9XSETUP\ and run 98lite /ng /nc (disable graphics, skip multi-version-CAB checking)

This brings me to choose among 98lite SLEEK, the two I don't use, and 98micro. Either way, it reconfigures some of the Windows program files for the 95 Explorer and moves on to Setup. Where Me's setup runs SCANDISK without a hitch, 98's SCANDISK complains about a resident disk-caching utility (which also isn't present in the startup files) and prompts me to exit that before continuing. I just hit ESC to skip it, knowing there isn't any need to scan a newly-formatted drive. Like I said, the whole 98lite process works splendidly with Windows Me in the same fashion.

But about 94% through installing 98SE, Setup complains about a missing OLEPRO32.DLL. I did some looking around here. It's supposed to be inside of WIN98_64.CAB (which it is, both before and after 98lite's little configuration), and even if I insert the unmodified 98SE disc, Setup still won't accept the WIN98_64.CAB for extraction. There were other files "missing" the first time I went through all this, but I later attributed them to the "Custom" options I picked. (Plus Setup just let me hit "Skip File" on all of them...) But even in a Typical install, I get this error.

The interesting part shows when I click "Details..." It shows the source file as OLEPRO32.DLL while the destination is OLEPRO32.DLL=WIN98_64.CAB. I wonder if this is actually the naming that Setup is trying to copy, which would likely cause the error. But I don't know. I can't edit Setup to copy it any other way.

Unlike kokiri, however, I'm not wasting CDs and a down machine trying to figure this one out. I've got it all sandboxed inside of a VPC on my Windows XP machine, so when I was debugging my startup scripts, I'd just rebuild and remount the ISO.

If it proves useful at all, I have the boot image available for study, though I doubt it has any bearing on the issue at hand. I think that if someone else tried a similar 98SE source here, they'd probably wind up in the same boat. What I'm going to do is run a 98FE source through this and hope for a different result. I'll also try installing the 98SE without 98lite just to double-check that that isn't the problem.

My boot image contains the 98lite files and those three 95 files (meaning all you need is a 98 source inside of a RAR file, named WIN98.RAR at the root folder of the disc) but because of this I won't be

Edited by larson

Okay...

1. The FE source helped none. Same error, different CAB file.

2. I copied OI*.DLL and OLEPRO32.DLL out of the source CABS to the install directory. Setup completes without one error.

Conclusion?

98lite got something wrong in the process of tweaking Setup. My solution is a simple workaround, works well enough and uses a whole 'nother 100K or so. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm still interested in knowing if there's a more official fix to this, if one of the setup's INF files can be altered to prevent the error...

If not, at least this is here for future reference.