Logitech webcam driver silent install?

ThaNerd

I'm creating an unattended WinXP Install CD for a friend of mine who doesn't know anything at all about computers.

I'd like to preinstall all the drivers for the hardware she has bought, which includes a Logitech QuickCam Communicate.

The drivers installation CD contains obviously drivers for many versions of webcams, and the files/directories naming are quite not evident to understand.

The CD autorun is easy to use, but looks non standard (ie, not msi, not installshield,...), so i don't know which command line switches to use. And when browsing the CD to find which drivers to install, it's hard to guess, as many of the .inf files contain exactly the same description, despite being in different folders.

Has anyone of you experienced a successful installation of that webcam's driver, in silent/unattended mode? And if so, could you point me to the right directions?

Thanks in advance!

I looked into this a little bit as I am contemplating purhasing the new Logitech Notebook Pro webcam (or whatever they're calling it, it's around $100 USD).

I downloaded Logitech QuickShare V8.4.6 build 1016A from their web site. This is a selfextracting exe file. Inside you'll find a few directories of drivers. The files all seem similarly named and it looks as though they may be uniqie to the various models Logitech sells. Either include all of them, or find the drivers appropriate for your friend's webcam and integrate the drivers using a method of your choice. They are all described at infinitum through this forum. If you are already using the BTS DPs, check out the sticky thread on making your own driver pack.

If she's planning on using the Logitech Quickshare software, you will have to generate a .iss file as the install routine appears to be an Installshield. Again, this is described thoroughly in these forums. Best place to look would be the Applications Install forum.

OT: Are these Logitech webcams any good? Any other suggestions before I blow a C note?

OT:  Are these Logitech webcams any good?  Any other suggestions before I blow a C note?

I didn't intensively test it, i didn't do anything but trying to see if there was something showing or not after i installed it for the first time. It's not a big phat quality image, but well, if all you wanna do is to chat with friends on the net, it's ok. All i know is that it has a microphone inside, and its own sound recording device driver.

She just bought the second cheapest webcam there was at the shop (the cheapest was a Sweex one, and i told her "don't take this sh*** webcam". She just wanna chat with friends in her country (Italy) which she left two years ago for Belgium.

I'd say it is decent for the (low) price she paid for it... Years back, i bought webcams for 4x the price with a lesser good image, and no mic inside, and had yet fun with them...