Win2K and XP crash!!!! Lou?

Rick

Hi all and Lou,

My computer has gone nuts on me! I tried to reformat my drive after PM7 made a disaster out of my drives and I am currently d/ling another copy of XP. Win2K is crashing every 20 minutes!!! I get these two messages and this is what generally happens.

I get a lockup with no blue screen at all.

I get a blurred screen or "out of range" message.

I get a BSOD with KMODE_NOT_blah, blah blah..in win32.sys

I get a BSOD with IRQL_Not less or equal with sisnic.sys...That's my onboard sis9000 nic card.

Seems to be a irq conflict with nic card and video (ATI AIW Radeon 32MB) but I read that you can't change irq's in XP or Win2K and devices share more often without probs in these OS's...So what do I do to get this resolved?

Yes, I have tried lowering refresh rate, card performance, loading latest drivers, etc...nothing!

Rick:grump :grump :grump

Guest LouCypher

Sounds like the same problem I had two days ago. I had a serious screw up with the IRQ assignments for my PCI cards, which I have many of, and I couldn't reinstall XP for ahile until I fixed it.

I would suggest to you to pull everything you can from the PCI slots. Leave nothing in the systm but what is on the motherboard and your VGA card. Go into the BIOS and select the option to Reset Configuration data AFTER you've pulled all the cards.

Once you've done this, put your PCI cards back in ONE AT A TIME, starting with the one CLOSEST to your AGP slot. After it intially does the POST, and maybe gives "NVRAM update completed" or something similar (at least let it get to the point where it would try to load an OS), then turn it off, put another card in and repeat, until all the PCI cards are back in. What this SHOULD do is reset the ESCD data and reassign the IRQ values.

Also turn off the option for "Plug and Play OS". If you're going to run more than one PnP OS on your computer then you might run in to problems because both OSes will try to assign resources, which might not agree with each other.

I couldn't even get my system to boot on several attempts because some of my PCI cards were wanting to share IRQ 11, which was already being occupied by my TNT2.

Lou, same problem...my Nic card and ATI Radeon are sharing IRQ 11. Problem is that I don't have any cards in my pci slots. I have on board nic and sound, and then my card is in the AGP slot. I am not sure what to do from this point. I am running Win98 without a hitch right now....getting pro retail in a couple of days! Any other suggestions?

Rick

Guest LouCypher

Maybe instead of pulling the cards like above if you could just temporarily disable them in the BIOS and reset configuration data and then reenable them. If your BIOS would let you manually assign IRQ to those devices it might help, although the NIC is usually something you can't reassign even if it's onboard.

• 6 years later...

Hi,

i three times had that problems while installing XP too.

But the solution wasnt IRQ conflict.

Once the FSB was set to 133 MHz, but installed was a 700 Mhz Athlon 100 Mhz FSB. After changing the board to 100 MHz it worked perfect.

-> Overclocked ur system?

Once the condensers (hope the translation is correct) on the mainboard were defect (leaking or breaking on top).

Once the PSU was not strong enough for the new grapics card. After installing 550W PSU it worked.

-> Not here: Your card isnt that power hungry i suppose.

Maybe is the wrong fsb setting. I see best chances here. just try a lower setting.

Hope u can solve ur problem,

Bjoern

Edited by BPoller