Sysedit.exe does not open/run?

Don't know guys? I never did start from scratch. I Applied the updates to an existing Win 98 computer.

Who knows, could be some install form days gone by.

In any case. it now works.

Something to keep in the back of our minds if someone else runs across the same mystery.

Thanks for the input and help.

Talk soon.

WatcherSea

Edited by WatcherSea

I never did a clean install. I am still using the same Win 98 installation with SP2 and Win 982ME.

I have no plans at this time to do a fresh install. I could back up and do it. It would be for interest sake rather then anything else since Win 98 is working correctly.

Talk soon.

WatcherSea.

Guys,

I've tried all versions of sysedit.exe: Win 3.10, WfWG 3.11, Win95 FE, Win95 OSR2.5, Win98FE, Win98SE + WinXP setup CD [yes, XP has the same 16-bit sysedit ;)] on all these OSes, with and w/o MS IE 5/6: 98FE, 98SE + ME.

They all worked [as they should] regardless if 98SE2ME, Gape's SP, Petr's SP, Tihiy's RP or IE 5/6 were installed or not.

The only ones that don't work with 9x OSes [are not supposed to] are sysedit.exe from NT4, 2000 + 2003.

More mystery. :wacko:

So MDGx, you 've tried all versions of Sysedit on all 9x systems in all possible IE and Packs configuration. Can you confirm that the version of Sysedit that comes bundled with 98SE loads a broadly different set of modules when it is used on Win ME ? Or not ?

Edited by eidenk

About all the differences between your 2 Process Explorer reports:

- WatcherSea listed all processes loaded by Windows + all programs/TSRs/DLLs/etc

- eidenk listed only the processes loaded by sysedit

Sysedit.exe is a 16-bit executable, not a PE 32-bit executable, so it only shows in Process Explorer or Dependency Walker [the ones I used] as single process.

Looking inside the 98SE version of sysedit.exe with eXeScope [shareware 16-bit + 32-bit PE editor]:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#HEX

I see the list of calls made to Windows APIs under the Import section:

KERNEL

USER

GDI

That's it.

All functions + API calls are listed under the Header section [with 2 subsections: Exe Header + Win Header].

Because sysedit.exe performs only a single task, it doesn't load any other processes/APIs besides the 3 above, no matter which OS it is used under.

Hope this helps.

Well Watcher Sea took some pain to explain he was highligting sysedit in Process Explorer to then retrieve in the lower pane the list of modules loaded by it. He explained it in details after I did suggest he was maybe not using Process Explorer properly. When you do this only modules loaded by sysedit are displayed, not the list he gives. So, as you confirm sysedit loads the list of MS modules I post in all cases I can only conclude that, for whatever reason, Watcher See deliberately and repeatedly lied as you cannot do a mistake there. When you highlight sysedit it's not a list all processes loaded by Windows + all programs/TSRs/DLLs/etc that shows up.

Additionally, the list of all processes loaded by Windows + all programs/TSRs/DLLs/etc is way bigger than what he posts and is not something you can quickly grab like that in one single list with Process Explorer. You cannot ignore that MDGx.

eidenk:

Just an FYI: My Win 98 partition is over 5 years old!!! I have no idea what all I have installed and removed in all that time:

Here is a list of the installation date from SIW (System Info) 1.50 (Build 580):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4387.html

Operating System

Windows 98 Second Edition

OEM non upgrade version

OEM Version

Kernel Version: 4.10.2222.2225

Security: 128 bits

Updates: W98.SE Windows 98 Second Edition Q273991 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q259728 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q256015 Update Windows 98 Q249863 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q260067 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q273017 Update Windows 98 Second

Win98.SE Windows 98 Q249973 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q238453 Update Windows 98 VTCP.386 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q239887 Update

W98 Windows 98 Q245729 Update Windows 98 Q314147 Update Windows 98 Q323255 Update Windows 98 Q323172 Update Windows 98 Q329115 Update Windows 98 Q811630 Update

W98.TELNET Windows 98 TELNET Update

Serial Number: Operating System

Windows 98 Second Edition

OEM non upgrade version

OEM Version

Kernel Version: 4.10.2222.2225

Security: 128 bits

Updates: W98.SE Windows 98 Second Edition Q273991 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q259728 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q256015 Update Windows 98 Q249863 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q260067 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q273017 Update Windows 98 Second

Win98.SE Windows 98 Q249973 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q238453 Update Windows 98 VTCP.386 Update Windows 98 Second Edition Q239887 Update

W98 Windows 98 Q245729 Update Windows 98 Q314147 Update Windows 98 Q323255 Update Windows 98 Q323172 Update Windows 98 Q329115 Update Windows 98 Q811630 Update

W98.TELNET Windows 98 TELNET Update

Serial Number: removed

Product Key: removed

Product Name: Microsoft Windows 98

Owner: removed

Organization: removed

Plus! Version: IE 5 6.0.2800.1106

User Name: removed

ComputerName: removed

Language: English (United States)

Installation Time: 03/06/2001 15:17:02.000

Running Time: 12 minutes

Active Desktop: Installed

removed

Product Key: removed

Product Name: Microsoft Windows 98

Owner: removed

Organization: removed

Plus! Version: IE 5 6.0.2800.1106

User Name: removed

ComputerName: removed

Language: English (United States)

Installation Time: 03/06/2001 15:17:02.000

Running Time: 12 minutes

Active Desktop: Installed

I haved " removed " any private info.

If it's that important eidenk, I will do a fresh install to satisfy your curiosity? This however will not answer why my list is so large when I run " sysedit.exe " but does it really matter???

Let me know.

WatcherSea

Just an FYI:  My Win 98 partition is over 5 years old!!!
And I thought I was the only one who never reformats or installs anew. :yes:

My original Win95 [gradually upgraded 1 OS at a time all the way up to ME and then "downgraded" back to 98SE] partition will be 10 years old this August [happy birthday!].

That is because [if any of you know or recall] Windows 95 retail first edition was released August 15 1995, and I was in line at the store when it opened that AM. ;)

Hello MDGx:

You know as well as I do that one reason that we do not reinstall is because we can keep the original Windows install up and running.

There are a lot of reinstalls performed by people just because a problem could not be solved and a reformat and reinstall seems to be the easiest answer.

If people would learn to back up the Windows partition before trying out new software, it word be a much happier world.

This applies to every operating system out there and if any wisdom can be shared to everyone who looks after a computer would be " Save before you try any new program, hardware or just making adjustments to an operating system " and of course make regular data backups as well [ Please verify that the backups are complete and are actually usable ]

Wisdom button now off.

Later

WatcherSea

Just an FYI:  My Win 98 partition is over 5 years old!!!
And I thought I was the only one who never reformats or installs anew. :yes:

My original Win95 [gradually upgraded 1 OS at a time all the way up to ME and then "downgraded" back to 98SE] partition will be 10 years old this August [happy birthday!].

That is because [if any of you know or recall] Windows 95 retail first edition was released August 15 1995, and I was in line at the store when it opened that AM. ;)

I thought Windows 95 was released to the public in retail boxes on August 24, 1995 as noted in some of my old PC Computing magazines I've been keeping over the years.

i hardly had to do any re-install of Windows whether it's Win95, 98 or ME since I usually run Scandisk & Defrag to fix/optimize my machines. Also when performing backups of any kind be sure to backup your important computer files to reliable backup media like Iomega Jaz disks or even cd-rewritable discs (CDRWs) if anyone uses a cd burner.

i hardly had to do any re-install of Windows whether it's Win95, 98 or ME since I usually run Scandisk & Defrag to fix/optimize my machines.

Erasing free disk space from time to time is a must as well I have noticed.

I thought Windows 95 was released to the public in retail boxes on August 24, 1995 as noted in some of my old PC Computing magazines I've been keeping over the years.
You're probably right, I remembered the wrong day. ;)

• 1 year later...
You're probably right, I remembered the wrong day. ;)

and Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 [OSR2] was released exactly a year after the original version of Windows 95 was released. no wonder why the Win95 OSR2 system files have a date of 8-24-1996.