Sysedit.exe does not open/run?

Hello everyone:

Has anyone run across a problem that after you install/update Win 98SE with

Unofficial Win98 SE Service Pack and then 98SE2ME, you are not able to run sysedit.exe?

I try to run sysedit and the program does not open/run.

Does Win 98 still process the entries in Autoexec.bat and Config.sys after these

updates have been applied?

Any thoughts, ideas welcome.

Thanks

WatcherSea

BTW: These updates are unbelievable. Very impressive and very impressed with the work that these two gentlemen have done. Well done and Thank You very much.

Welcome to MSFN forums, WatcherSea.

Please accept my sincere thanks for your kind appreciation regarding 98SE2ME.

I'm glad you found it useful.

About your problem, this is what u can do:

Restore [extract] sysedit.exe from 98SE setup CD back into %windir%\SYSTEM , in case it was damaged. More info:

http://www.mdgx.com/me1.htm#RESE

If that doesn't work, scan [run scandskw] for errors + fix all your HDs/partitions.

If that doesn't work, scan your computer for viruses.

More info on how a virus can disable programs in Windows:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...siral.b@mm.html

If that doesn't work, see this security restrictions guide and make sure registry values which disable programs are not turned on:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip9.htm#RESTRICT

If that doesn't work, search your entire registry for any sysedit.exe restrictions:

run regedit -> Edit -> Find -> type sysedit -> view all keys/values (if any) containing sysedit.exe and sysedit, and if u think they disable it, delete them.

Make a full backup of your registry [i.e. save it as REG file] prior to modifying it. More info:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip12.htm#REGBAK

If that doesn't work, make sure if running Norton SystemWorks or similar tool that system files protection is not turned on. You may need to turn protection completely off.

If that doesn't work, use the alternative sysedit tool [31 KB, free] linked at URL above:

http://www.mdgx.com/me1.htm#RESE

Hope this helps.

Hello MDGx:

Your welcome for the kind works which are well deserved!!!

I know that sysedit worked before I applied the updates.

I'll restore " sysedit.exe " from the Win 98 CD using SFC.exe and see what happens.

I have tried the Sysedit.exe replacement which does work and may be the answer if I am unable to get sysedit working.

Thanks again.

Talk soon.

WatcherSea

An update:

Have searched the registry for any entries for restrictions " Sysedit.exe " None found.

Extracted " Sysedit.exe " form windows 98SE CD, same result.

Alternative sysedit tool works without error.

link: http://www.mdgx.com/me1.htm#RESE

Side note: Saw a post in regards to control panel, Windows components uninstall not working. Tried and had same problem. Install Registry entries, problem fixed.

Link: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=49545

Any troubleshooting technique I may use to find out why " Sysedit.exe " will not open/run?

Talk soon

WatcherSea

If u are using this computer in a multiuser environment, and u don't have admin or owner privileges, there is not much u can do, unless u email the sysadmin to allow u to use sysedit, and he/she is nice enuff to let u do that. ;)

If u are using some sort of software that is protecting your boot and/or system INI files from being modified, u may need to disable it.

Also, see if u have a progman.ini file in your %windir% folder [usually C:\WINDOWS]. If u do, open it in Notepad and look for a line that stars like this:

[Restrictions]

EditLevel=x

where x can be from 1 to 4 .

If u do find such line, place a semicolon [ ; ] in front of it and save the file.

More info @ MSKB:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=75337

You may need to change PROGMAN.INI attributes if it is hidden, system or read-only:

ATTRIB -H -R -S %windir%\PROGMAN.INI

This primitive protection function is reminiscent from Win3x days.

That Control Panel issue should not affect the use of sysedit.

Sysedit.exe is a very old Win3x 16-bit executable, like a stripped-down text editor, that can edit only 4 small ASCII files. Preventing only it from running is not that simple, because by doing so, u may also disable from running other similar executables.

So it is more likely that something that is already loaded and running, is preventing your boot files from being modded.

I know firewalls that protect local system files from being deleted/moved/edited/etc.

I can't think of anything else for the moment. :(

Hope this helps.

Hello MDGx:

Thank you for your reply.

When I updated my Win 98 installation, I did not update IE to V6. You may ask why I did not? The reason is because I have never found IE V6 to work well with Win 98.

On the off chance that this could be the cause of this fault, I imaged my Win 98 partition and proceeded to install IE V6. After the install and the latest IE V6 security update [ SP1 ], " Sysedit.exe" started to work?

If you look at " Process Explorer " DLL list, you can see that " Sysedit.exe " references DLL that have been updated with 98SE2ME.

Here is the list:

Process: sysedit.exe Pid: FFFB4023

Name Description Company Name Version

ADVAPI32.DLL Win32 ADVAPI32 core component Microsoft Corporation 4.90.0000.3000

cabinet.dll Microsoft® Cabinet File API Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2147.0001

CFGMGR32.DLL Configuration Manager Win32 Interface Microsoft Corporation 4.90.0000.3000

COMCTL32.DLL Common Controls Library Microsoft Corporation 5.81.4916.0400

COMDLG32.DLL Common Dialogs DLL Microsoft Corporation 4.72.3510.2300

CRYPT32.DLL Crypto API32 Microsoft Corporation 5.131.1880.0014

GDI32.DLL Win32 GDI core component Microsoft Corporation 4.90.0000.3000

ICM32.DLL Color Management Module (CMM) Microsoft Corporation 5.00.0000.0000

IMAGEHLP.DLL Windows NT Image Helper Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2178.0001

KERNEL32.DLL Win32 Kernel core component Microsoft Corporation 4.10.0000.2225

LZ32.DLL Win32 LZ32 core component Microsoft Corporation 4.90.0000.3000

MPR.DLL WIN32 Network Interface DLL Microsoft Corporation 4.90.0000.3000

MSASN1.DLL ASN.1 Runtime APIs Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.6905

MSCMS.DLL Microsoft Color Matching System DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.00.1977.0001

MSVCRT.DLL Microsoft ® C Runtime Library Microsoft Corporation 6.01.9359.0000

NTDLL.DLL Win32 NTDLL core component Microsoft Corporation 4.90.0000.3000

OLE32.DLL Microsoft OLE for Windows and Windows NT Microsoft Corporation 4.71.3328.0000

RPCRT4.DLL Remote Procedure Call DLL Microsoft Corporation 4.71.3336.0000

SETUPAPI.DLL Windows Setup API Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.1526

SHELL32.DLL Windows Shell Common Dll Microsoft Corporation 4.72.3812.0600

SHLWAPI.DLL Shell Light-weight Utility Library Microsoft Corporation 6.00.2800.1106

USER32.DLL Win32 USER32 core component Microsoft Corporation 4.90.0000.3001

VERSION.DLL Win32 VERSION core component Microsoft Corporation 4.90.0000.3000

WINSPOOL.DRV Win32 WINSPOOL core component Microsoft Corporation 4.90.0000.3000

WINTRUST.DLL Microsoft Trust Verification APIs Microsoft Corporation 5.131.1880.0014

wondppet.dll Wonderful Icon's Puppeteer - does some of the dirty work for The Wonderful Icon Eric Heimburg 1.00.0000.0001

Yes, you can see I use Wonderful Icon - Used it for many years, works well :)

url: http://www.thewonderfulicon.com/

This list, of course, can only be generated once the program is running which of course it was not until I updated IE to V6.

I would like to thank you for you help. I will keep the above correspondence for future reference.

Just a thought: You may want to consider putting a sticky for the control panel, uninstall issue that I happen to come across since this seems to be a reocurring asked question.

Thanks again.

I will now go play with my new improved Win 98. :thumbup

Talk soon.

WatcherSea

P.S. May I ask what is your computer background [ education, training ... ]? Just curios to know what inspired you to know so much about Win 98.

Hi WatcherSea,

Just to let you know I am using Win98SE's Sysedit on Win ME IE5.5 SP2 (+ Q867282 Security Update) without problem.

As well, on my system, Sysedit loads only the following Microsoft modules :

ADVAPI32.DLL 4.90.3000

GDI32.DLL 4.90.3000

KERNEL32.DLL 4.90.3000

OLE32.DLL 4.71.3328

OLEAUT32.DLL 2.40.4275

USER32.DLL 4.90.3001

VERSION.DLL 4.90.3000

Hi WatcherSea,

Just to let you know I am using Win98SE's Sysedit on Win ME IE5.5 SP2 (+ Q867282 Security Update) without problem.

ADVAPI32.DLL  4.90.3000

GDI32.DLL  4.90.3000

KERNEL32.DLL  4.90.3000

OLE32.DLL  4.71.3328

OLEAUT32.DLL  2.40.4275

USER32.DLL 4.90.3001

VERSION.DLL 4.90.3000

Well. So much for my theory. I was running IE5.5 SP2 as well and yet it would not start.

Interesting that your list is longer then mine. I'll have to try with only sysedit running and see if my list is the same?

Thanks for the info.

WatcherSea

Hi WatcherSea,

ADVAPI32.DLL  4.90.3000

GDI32.DLL  4.90.3000

KERNEL32.DLL  4.90.3000

OLE32.DLL  4.71.3328

OLEAUT32.DLL  2.40.4275

USER32.DLL 4.90.3001

VERSION.DLL 4.90.3000

After fresh restart, same amount of dll's opened with Sysedit.exe

Just noticed on your list that KERNEL32.DLL has been updated to V 4.90.3000 while mine has a version of 4.10.0000.2225?

I guess I will extract this 4.90.3000 from the Win ME CD. This could have been the cause all along.

I'll have to try some time but not today, but I will let you know.

Later

Watcher

P.S. Is there a list of all files that are changed out? Wonder if any others got missed? Wonder why this one file got missed?

Just noticed on your list that KERNEL32.DLL has been updated to V 4.90.3000 while mine has a version of 4.10.0000.2225?

It has been updated to nothing as I am using Win ME as I have written. I think that if you replace Kernel32.dll, your system most probably won't work at all anymore.

What tool are you using to list the modules loaded by Sysedit.exe ? Your list looks more like what is loaded by Explorer.exe.

It has been updated to nothing as I am using Win ME as I have written. I think that if you replace Kernel32.dll, your system most probably won't work at all anymore.

What tool are you using to list the modules loaded by Sysedit.exe ? Your list looks more like what is loaded by Explorer.exe.

Opps :whistle: , missed that you were running Win ME.

To get the list, download " Process Explorer " from Sysinternals:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

Couldn't find that version of Kernel32.dll on the Win ME CD any ways.

You'll find Process Explorer very handy.

Later

WatcherSea

I have used this very tool (as well as others such as Taskinfo, PrcView and Current Process to confirm what I was reading with Process Explorer) to post the list of modules loaded by sysedit.exe on my system.

What I cannot understand is why our two lists are so broadly different.

Maybe one of us does not use the the Process Explorer tool properly...

I have used this very tool (as well as others such as Taskinfo, PrcView and Current Process to confirm what I was reading with Process Explorer) to post the list of modules loaded by sysedit.exe on my system.

What I cannot understand is why our two lists are so broadly different.

Maybe one of us does not use the the Process Explorer tool properly...

Don't know what to tell you. Maybe it's because you are running ME.

To get the list all you have to highlight " Sysedit.exe " in the upper pane. The shortcut for the lower pane to show the DLL view is Ctrl + D.

Make sure the lower pane is showing.

To save the list, Ctrl + A and save the file. Open the saved file to see the list thats in the lower pane.

WatcherSea.

Yes, there is little way to do a mistake of that sort reading with Process Explorer. I find this very weird as the two systems aren't supposed to be broadly different so that I assume the dlls loaded by sysedit should be the same (not the same version) on the two systems. All the MS dlls you list (except for MSCMS.DLL and ICM32.DLL) are loaded on my system but not by Sysedit. Additionally I imagine my system my system is quite close from a Win 98SE one as I have removed all ME specific components from it (apart from new DOS mode). Mystery.

Edited by eidenk

Guys,

I've tried all versions of sysedit.exe: Win 3.10, WfWG 3.11, Win95 FE, Win95 OSR2.5, Win98FE, Win98SE + WinXP setup CD [yes, XP has the same 16-bit sysedit ;)] on all these OSes, with and w/o MS IE 5/6: 98FE, 98SE + ME.

They all worked [as they should] regardless if 98SE2ME, Gape's SP, Petr's SP, Tihiy's RP or IE 5/6 were installed or not.

The only ones that don't work with 9x OSes [are not supposed to] are sysedit.exe from NT4, 2000 + 2003.

More mystery. :wacko:

BTW:

Kernel32.dll from ME cannot be used with 98FE or 98SE, nor the other way around.