RyanVM Update Packs with MCE

I want to confirm that RyanVM's Update Pack v1.2.2 works with MCE 2005. :)

I used nlite to integrate the update pack, and later copied over the WMP9-Less INF's.

The last step is you need to replace these 4 files in the I386 directory with the original ones from your MCE cd (for wmp10):

DRMV2CLT.DL_

WMNETMGR.DL_

WMP.DL_

WMVCORE.DL_

However there are still MCE specific hotfixes that arent included in the Update Pack, such as:

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 1 (KB873369)

KB888316

KB890629

Q890760

Q895678

These can be installed during Windows Setup with RunOnceEx.cmd

Edited by DigeratiPrime

• 1 month later...

I don't know... Tried your way, my way (no copying or whatnot, just let Windows sort it out :blushing: ) and still I'm having issues... Can't remember what though so your method probably works fine. :P

I think it was something like WMP 10 not installed correctly. :realmad:

Which is ALWAYS a pain. :no:

Well i was able to get WMP10 working with ryans update pack and mce. However due to the number of problems ryans pack introduced I'am no longer using it. I feel the updates are over-rated for the most part, and will wait for sp3 before i risk breaking the system.

Well i was able to get WMP10 working with ryans update pack and mce.  However due to the number of problems ryans pack introduced I'am no longer using it.  I feel the updates are over-rated for the most part, and will wait for sp3 before i risk breaking the system.

Problems? :blink:

I'll be the first to say it, what problems? He doesn't introduce 'em, Microsoft does. :P

Just use the Lite pack, that'll strip things down to just the updates.

well i only used the LITE pack, but a certain hotfix (KB885250) causes files and folders to sometimes not appear over a network, with ryanvms update pack there is no way to uninstall the hotfix.

see: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46308

Also there are/have been compatibility programs with Bashrats Driverpacks which i value more then the hotfixes by a wide margin.

Furthermore Ryans been distracted and hasnt updated the packs in a while, though i know a new version is in the works. He's actually getting married today! :) Congrats Ryan!

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351

Edited by DigeratiPrime

• 2 weeks later...
Furthermore Ryans been distracted and hasnt updated the packs in a while, though i know a new version is in the works.  He's actually getting married today!  Congrats Ryan!

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351

Yah... I heard. :blushing: Bless 'im, I say. Real life should always take precedent over us ungrateful louts. :D Or rather... Grateful louts with a few bad seeds thrown in. :rolleyes:

RyanVM is a patient, loving cat. I'd be totally unable to put up with the constant "Ryan's betrayed us..." crap. :angry:

• 3 months later...