Disable Found New Hardware Wizard

tridgely

Is there a way to turn off the Found New Hardware Wizard, so that Windows will just automatically search its driver cache for good drivers when a hardware device is inserted, without asking for user input?

I've been searching everywhere and haven't been able to find an answer. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Is there a way to turn off the Found New Hardware Wizard, so that Windows will just automatically search its driver cache for good drivers when a hardware device is inserted, without asking for user input?

I've been searching everywhere and haven't been able to find an answer.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

If the driver is signed that's what usually happens. No user intervention.

The following registry Keys enhance the behaviour of the Hardware Wizard.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching]

"DontSearchWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

"DontPromptForWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

"DontSearchCD"=dword:00000001

"DontSearchFloppies"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing]

"BehaviorOnFailedVerify"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing]

:blushing:

Well, here's what's happening.

I am getting the Found New Hardware Wizard whenever I plug anything in that wasn't plugged in during the Setup. This is bad, because I'm switching keyboards and mice around and then I can't click Next!

If I could turn it OFF and have Windows just search, it would find what it wants. If I click Next on the wizard, then it finds what it wants and installs it automatically (without warning about the driver signing, because the drivers are signed).

I was originally using RyanVM's packs, nLite, and BTS DriverPacks. I am now testing each progressively, starting from a standard SP2 slipstream, to figure out where the problem gets introduced.

With plain SP2, I can plug in my usb keyboard and it installs totally unattended.

If I use nLite to integrate RyanVM's packs, the wizard pops up.

Starting over...

If I integrate RyanVM's packs by hand (with __integrate.exe and the file editing), my USB devices install totally unattended.

Good! Moving on..

If I use nLite at all, the wizard pops up.

Starting over...

I then re-integrated RyanVM by hand and slipstreamed BTS DriverPacks via Method 2. Wizard pops up.

At this very moment, I've re-slipstreamed BTS DPs via Method 1, and am installing Windows with that. It does appear that BOTH nLite and BTS DPs will cause this problem, though, which sucks, because I really wanted to use BTS DPs.

• 4 weeks later...

I just recently discovered this board and got very interested in building an unattended XP installation media for myself...

Anyawy, this same annoying "feature" has now appeared in my setup as well. Right now I'm pretty clueless as to what exactly causes it and I haven't had too much time to troubleshoot it yet. I'm using the nLite 1.0 b5 to import RyanVM's 1.2.2 Full hotfix pack and 10-15 other hotfixes which are not included in the pack. Also to remove some stuff (not too much) from and tweak the setup. This worked fine at first, but evidently I did something somewhere to invoke this behaviour...

The Wizard first pops up to install some SoundBlaster-related drivers during when RunOnceEx is installing software. I might even be able to live with that since it doesn't really interfere and can be ignored, but where it gets particularly annoying is when it pops up for anything that wasn't plugged in during the installation -- even hard drives. First it asks to install drivers for the newly attached HD itself and then once for every partition that is found from the drive. This is clearly not acceptable.

I don't want to disable the wizard since that would probably just leave all new-found hardware driverless, just find how to restore its original behaviour. Gotta continue the tests when I get off work later...

Ok, after numerous tests I finally managed yesterday to install the nLightened (1.0b5) XP without the annoying wizard ever popping up...

What I did earlier with nLite was:

1. first import the RyanVM's hotfix pack without doing anything else at that time and close nLite.

2. then start nLite again and imported all other hotfixes -> close nLite

3. started nLite 3rd time, do remove/tweak/patch/unattended, and close nLite

4. added SI3112A RAID controller drivers manually and tweaked $OEM$ directories

5. started nLite and made an ISO

6. burn and install -> Wizard pops up

Yesterday I did 1-3. in one sitting, although only imported the RyanVM's pack and not the other hotfixes and closed nLite. Then again added SATA drivers and $OEM$ dirs and made the ISO with nLite. This time there was no Wizard. Now I just need to try to import the rest of the hotfixes and see what happens...

Hi everybody, one question about Hardware Wizard, i have used the tweak.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching]

"DontSearchWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

"DontPromptForWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

"DontSearchCD"=dword:00000001

"DontSearchFloppies"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing]

but the wizard shows me more than one inf file to use to install hardware. Maybe this the reason why the wizard ask me to select one inf file, because it has more than one file to select ????

Here's how I got this to work:

Manually integrate RyanVM

Don't use nLite at all (I couldn't get it to work, anyway, and it was quicker to do the things I needed manually than to mess around with it)

Use BTS DPs with Method 1 (Method 2 was causing the Wizard to appear, Method 1 does not appear to)

Change production folders how I want, add modified system files, etc.

• 1 month later...

I've been searching everywhere and haven't been able to find an answer.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

GO INTO DEVICE MANAGER

GO TO VIEW

SELECT SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES

CLICK THE PLUS SIGN NEXT TO PRINTERS....

IS THEIR AN EXCLAMATION POINT ? if so select properties check and see what it says

TRY SELECTING DISABLE from the properties of it OR SELECT UNINSTALL SEE IF THE PRINTER STILL WORKS... :thumbup

• 1 month later...

use nforce slipstreaming driver inside my unattended dvd...

after installation and 1st time get in windows....

the popup will said found cd-rom drive... need click finish....

restart and second popup... found disk drive.... need click finish....

dunno how to get rid of it...

Problem fix... who carez =)

Edited by cyberloner

• 4 weeks later...
Well, here's what's happening.

I am getting the Found New Hardware Wizard whenever I plug anything in that wasn't plugged in during the Setup. This is bad, because I'm switching keyboards and mice around and then I can't click Next!

If I could turn it OFF and have Windows just search, it would find what it wants. If I click Next on the wizard, then it finds what it wants and installs it automatically (without warning about the driver signing, because the drivers are signed).

UPnPDev.cmd

@echo off
SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
SET KEY1="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Pre-Installation" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers" /f"
REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "RunDll32.exe Syssetup.dll,UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers" /f

It's how i install external modem that wasn't plugged in during the Setup.

Drivers (not digitally signed) are installed first with Unlimited number of drivers schalti method & Pyron tool (post #4).

UPnpDev.cmd is run to update registry

Restart or shutdown box

Plug external modem and power up

let PnP detection install my device ('Found New Hardware Wizard' windows popup but automatically disappears when detection is done by RunOnceEx instruction).