USB Keyboard/mouse problems

I have a working UA XPCD, and when I install Windows, everything works fine--drivers, everything.

I'm hitting some problems when changing the hardware around, though. For example, if I install my CD on a laptop, and then plug the laptop into its docking station, the hardware will not automatically install (and thus, because the keyboard and mouse are still waiting to be installed, I can't log in).

By setting an autologin, I was able to see what's happening. The hardware is being detected, but Windows is prompting me to click "Next" at the Hardware Install Wizard, where it asks me whether I want to search for a driver or pick one myself. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but it becomes one when it's the keyboard and mouse that aren't being detected.

To get this laptop and dock to work, I just had to keep inserting it into the dock, bringing it out of Standby, clicking Next on the wizard with the touchpad (which had installed when Windows had installed, and was working), putting it into standby again, inserting it into the dock, and repeating until the keyboard and mouse were working.

Windows even has the drivers (it's all USB HID stuff) -- I just have to click Next, and Windows installs the devices perfectly. I'd like it to do these USB HID drivers automatically, so that the devices would install before I have to log in (so I don't have to set autologin). I don't want all the devices to install automatically; just the USB keyboard and mouse stuff.

Any thoughts/ideas?

hmm...., sometimes this happens (but I cannot say if it is the case) when the original install drive changed, or sometimes it has been reported as a possible Registry corruption by some installed program.

You can try to do the following:

1) Go to hardware Manager while docked and with both mouse and keyboard detected.

2) Remove related entries (do not disable them, remove 'em)

3) Reboot computer while still docked

4) The Hardware wizard should come up, reinstall drivers

5) Switch the machine off

6) Undock and boot it

7) Re-dock it and boot it

If those are USB, it could be this problem:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/.../10/255047.aspx

(there is a possible registry hack to fix it)

jaclaz

Thanks for the reply, but it's not really fitting with what I'm looking for.

I want to change something on my UA CD so that it will automatically try to install the best driver without prompting me. Right now, Windows HAS the right driver. All I have to do is click the next button on the wizard's prompt, and it'll find it automatically (usbhid.sys, etc.).

The only reason this is such a serious problem is that it's asking for the keyboard and mouse drivers, so I can't click next, because I need the keyboard and mouse installed to do that!

Unless I install XP with the exact set of input devices I want to use, XP will ask me to install them and I'll be stuck at square one again.

First, i believe your question is more "Device Drivers" related than "Unattended Windows". Maybe a moderator can move this thread in "Device Drivers".

Second, what's the brand of your USB HID devices.

Checks the Manufacturer support web site and download the latest drivers set for your hardware (you will need and inf file and the associated sys and dll files)

for Logitech hardware, we can download a full installer (setup.exe), install it on a test box and then pickup the needed files from %ProgramFiles%\Logitech\WinXP or something similar...

I think your can find a solution by adding the drivers from the manufacturer instead of using generic Windows drivers (input.inf, kbdhid.sys and mouhid.sys) with the method and tool described in this thread:

Unlimited number of drivers + keeping the drivers.

I have solved a problem very similar on a Microsoft Windows XP embedded (component-based Windows XP variant with special added functions) FSC Futro D100 ThinClient.

Logitech Kbd/Mice Cordless USB Receiver install problem

Before finding the solution, it was necessary for me to plug a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse to click Next when my USB receiver was plugged.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Hmm. Would it be possible to make Windows try and search for the best driver first, and then prompt the user on failure?

i.e. if I plug in a new device, Windows goes through its driversearching locations, and if it finds a driver there, it will install it

I can't find anything on these boards or on the 'net about changing Windows's driver searching "defaults." Any ideas?

• 2 years later...

Try the latest nLite beta , it seems the 1.4.5 beta has fixed the issue,

with some old systems which are affected by this symptome I shutdown the system by the power button and reboot then I can use mouse to confirm install of the mouse ... weird but work many times ...

• 9 months later...