Lost everything

Last night I was working on my WPI when all of the sudden I lost everything. Nothing was coming up under the configuation tab nor when I looked into the config.js, it was emptied. I had over 100 programs listed with detail desriptions and everything.

I need to know how this could have happen. Nothing else was missing, just all the data i had entered over the last 2 weeks was gone. it was like USA 4400 came into my PC and took my information in my WPI folder and is now gone.

Has this happen to anyone else? Can I recover this information either in a temp file somewhere on my PC. Theres got to be a logical answer. I even had the WPI folder and allt he install programs on my USB harddrive just for this purpose.

Please help with an answer!

new one on me.

What editor were using? did it have an autorecover function?

Most temp files are generated in use and closed when the app is closed down, or at least that file.

Could try looking in your Temp directory or your profile\temp directory for some files and hope they open in notepad or something similar.

I have had this same problem. :hello:

It usually happened after I tryed to delete a program by deleting out all the info with in the boxes and then saved. Poof gone. :realmad:

Or when you make a new and save it empty.

Hope this helps.

But do like they say.

EDIT YOUR FILE WITH A TEXT EDITOR AND SAVE 2 COPYS EVERY TIME.

Just tryed the above two methods and they both poof gone your stuff.

Thanks for the info. After the second time of losing everything, I wised up and save to a Zip drive.

I am still using the wpi.hta when adding the programs, but after 5 or so, i back it up.

Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

I have had this problem as well now for 2 days.

I haven't been on it long enough to see any behaviour that makes the error come. I first thought it comes when you save your software with no catergory, but I'm not sure cause it just erased all my stuff again and I did chose category this time.

What Texteditor is good to use when editing WPI.hta?

I guess I'm the latest victim. It just happened!

Old text deleted

Edit:

Here's what happened; I placed the program title in the wrong field; DUH! WPI placed that entry first, and when it went to display the menu, everything being garbage from the first entry on, it displayed nothing. The actual Config.js file though, was intact. A manual edit fixed the problem. It was human error in my case but nothing destructive occured.

Perhaps in the next version a check can be made that a Title exists before the entry is accepted. This is the only entry that seems to be able to confuse WPI, it may be worth a little extra code.

Edited by No6