blue screen when replaced ntoskrnl.exe please help

gotnho

I created a boot screen with my company's logo but when replaced oh another desktop it gave me a blue screen error. I cant even boot into safe mode. I attached the screen shot to show the error screen. I took it with a digital camera so it a bit blurry.

Blue screen when booting normally. It pop up after the boot screen showed up and the "bar" animated thing ran accross the screen a few times.

[image]http://img103.echo.cx/img103/1340/bluescreen6zc.th.jpg[/image]

This picture show when safe mode is loading some file it froze at alim1541.sys. The blue screen is the same as the above.

[image]http://img103.echo.cx/img103/9032/safemodeerror1ko.th.jpg[/image]

What is wrong here? I did the same thing on my work station and it went just fine but doesnt on other one. could it be windows xp version imcompatible or something? The systems are windows xp pro SP2.

thanks guys.

Update: tried the same process with my work station and worked just fine.

Edited by gotnho

i did delete the content in the other post and said that i moved it over here. Like i said in the other post, i did not realize that under Customizing Windows is this forum.

If you just copied over the altered ntosknl.exe you prepared on the workstation, it might be because it has the wrong SID or something. When I do it, I don't change the original, but just add a second or third ntosknl1.exe or ntosknl.2.exe, etc. then in boot.ini just specify which kernel file to use for booting or let it provide a menu.

The ntosknl.exe file is a protected file anyway and will be recreated if it is corrupted or the name is changed. The only way around this is to turn off System File Protection, but I don't recommend that.

i tried that too but it didnt seem to take effect. The system still boot up w/ the orignal windows' boot screen. Following are the lines uner operating systems:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /kernel=ntoskrnlw.exe

the ntoskrnlw.exe is the altered one. Do i need the /noexecute=optin? what are the lines that work for you? Thanks.

Try making it look something like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /kernel=ntoskrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro Special" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /kernel=ntoskrnlw.exe

With these two lines you should get the boot menu giving you a choice between the two. If no choice is made, then the default is booted after a set period of seconds. that is set in the boot.ini under [boot loader]. The default is timeout=30 but you can change that to 5 or 10 if you want.

If you want the default to be your new os kernel than you must specify that under [boot loader] also.

What didn't work?

How did you prepare the logo screen? Did you use Resource Hacker or another program to replace the standard screen? did you use the proper size?

It sounds to me like you've made an error in creating your alternate kernel. If you did it right and followed the directions above, you will see a boot menu. I do it all the time. That's what Windows installation does when it first boots up. If you capture the boot.ini then you'll see that. Or perhaps, you've made an error in your ARC path.

This isn't rocket science here. Go back to the beginning and retrace ALL your steps and make sure you've done each one correctly. Make note of what happens at each step. Then come back here and detail that.

We can't help you if you just say "It doesn't work!" also, few folks are inclined to respond to that sort of attitude. go back to your drawing board and try again.!! Okay?

i used boot editor to prepare it. The odd thing is i took that same file and rename if from ntoskrnlw.exe to ntoskrnl.exe overwriting the original one, using safe mode of course, and it worked just fine. The error for the original problem is that the machine i used on was running SP1 and the file ntoskrnl.exe i used to make the alternate was from SP2. I think this was a problem. Didnt know sp1 and sp2 would be different. But the Boot.ini thing still puzzled me.

I didnt mean to give attitude, i was at work and in a hurry, my bad.