USB Keyboard/mouse problems

tridgely

I have a working UA XPCD, and when I install Windows, everything works fine--drivers, everything.

I'm hitting some problems when changing the hardware around, though. For example, if I install my CD on a laptop, and then plug the laptop into its docking station, the hardware will not automatically install (and thus, because the keyboard and mouse are still waiting to be installed, I can't log in).

By setting an autologin, I was able to see what's happening. The hardware is being detected, but Windows is prompting me to click "Next" at the Hardware Install Wizard, where it asks me whether I want to search for a driver or pick one myself. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but it becomes one when it's the keyboard and mouse that aren't being detected.

To get this laptop and dock to work, I just had to keep inserting it into the dock, bringing it out of Standby, clicking Next on the wizard with the touchpad (which had installed when Windows had installed, and was working), putting it into standby again, inserting it into the dock, and repeating until the keyboard and mouse were working.

Windows even has the drivers (it's all USB HID stuff) -- I just have to click Next, and Windows installs the devices perfectly. I'd like it to do these USB HID drivers automatically, so that the devices would install before I have to log in (so I don't have to set autologin). I don't want all the devices to install automatically; just the USB keyboard and mouse stuff.

Any thoughts/ideas?

• 5 weeks later...

I am having the same troubles. I did a step by step creation of unatteneded XP pro, testing it after every step and I found that it worked fine after slipstreaming SP2 and making the install unattended, butit started having this problem after I integrated the hotfixes :( .

I integrated hotfixes using RyanVM's pack :thumbup , and integrated the newest ones that werent in the pack using the svcpack.inf method. Anyone out there know if this is caused by a certain hotfix, or have any ideas to fix this problem???? B)