thumbnails in WIn98

leonardopenha

This japanese freeware utility called Thumbnail Extension (Screenshot) claims to add thumbnail view to explorer in Win98 (or replace it in upper versions. I test it under WinME at the moment). It supports bmp, dib, rle, jpg, jpeg, jpe, jfif, png, emf, wmf, ico and mag as well as a customisable list of text files. It does not support gif, html, url or other file formats natively but supports Susie plugins which allows to add any file format for which a Susie input plugin has been written. Here is gif support. And here is html support. There is even a url catcher plugin called axurl.spi that apparently allows to view web pages urls as thumbnails (provided the corresponding pages are in the TIF cache) but it seems unavailable for download anywhere (I haven't got it myself). There are plenty of other input plugins available. Searching google for ax???.spi or if???.spi (where ??? stands for the graphic file extension you are looking for) should easily yeld a download for the other common graphic filetypes such as tif, tga, pcx, pcd....

I cannot be sure it works properly under Win98 as I haven't tested it on this platform (It works very well so far under WinME) but it is surely worth a try.

eh, you can enable thumbnail view in 98se by right clicking on a folder and Properties>Enable Thumbnail view (reopen the folder and you'll have the option in the view menu) and it looks just like that screenshot above :unsure:

Interesting. I haven't used 98SE since some time and I was not too sure about that which is why I posted the above (I thought I remembered thumbnail view wae one of the reason I sticked to ME but I probably confuse with when I went from 95 to 98SE). Anyway it does mean that not many 98SE users have been reading this and the above soft is interesting anyway as it allows extra filetypes to be viewed as thumbnails. But is thumbnail view independent from web view in 98SE as it is in ME ?

i think so, i know this -

1. you can't use them both at the same time (webview & thumbnail view)

2. it uses thumbvw.dll

i've wondered if later versions of the dll would any any functionallity before but never tested it out that much, i have it enabled on my stock "my pictures" folder that ie creates but generally only use it otherwise when i'm working with images,

it does a lot of file types (i think all those ie can) though including gif, html, & url (if you let explorer.exe connect to the net, which i personally don't)

Thk u very much eidenk, for the english version.

But I have one more question. hehehhehe :D

later that I will have installed the Thumbnail Extension, what i should do?

Because I restarted the windows but anything changes and no function in explorer appears.

can u help me again?

bye

All I can say is that in Windows ME it does replace the built-in Thumbnail view and is accessed the same way : by clicking thumbnail under explorer views on the toolbar. In 98 SE I don't know as I am not currently running it. I cannot help you more than that I think.

• 3 years later...
:) Hello all, I know i have come late, but if you dont mind, could you also send me the english version of thumbnail extension to my secondary email: jaya.suprana@gmail.com please? or upload to some place (it's better for sharing with others who need). Or if available, at least where can we download the english one? I have been browsing everywhere but still find nothing for english version. please I would like to appreciate it so much. Thank you and regards-Amirz :thumbup Edited by AMIRZ

:) Thanks mate but actually I am using Windows Xp now. I have tried it and seems Thumbnail Extension also works on Xp as well. dunno on Vista. Which i like about Thumbnail Extensions is giving text file preview/thumbnail in Explorer. Unfortunately it comes only with Japanese font and language .it looks cooler and understandable if there also english version available for us. I am still looking for english one like eidenk's (still nothing). Could you help me please where can i get it? or at least another alternative please? it's really a unique n cool tool. again Thanks and regards :)

EDIT:

:thumbup I have found it! after i emailed request directly to the author (Credit to:Mr/Ms Schezo, very thanks), in one day he/she sent me a new/updated english one! however only japanese version available on their official website: www.vector.co.jp (all with japanese language). after make sure everything's really ok i will upload it and post the link soon with MD5 here. Hopefully will be helpful for people who need it. In my opinion it's very useful utility for Windows 98, 2000 also xp as well (still dunno about vista, who cares..uppz sorry). Thanks and kind regards-Amirz :thumbup

EDIT : Here is to download Thumbnail Extension (English):

http://www.4shared.com/file/57369582/887d5..._explorer_.html

Thumbnail Extensions supports Text Files Thumbnail on Windows Explorer (thumbnails of .txt, .log, .reg, .ini, .css, .vbs, .inf etc on Windows Explorer!). Also supports Susie Plug ins (included) for .html, .dwg, .psd, .tga on Explorer:

Good utility for Windows 98 even Xp! No need to install anything, no running process (just as a shell extension/rewrite the registry):

Good luck

Edited by AMIRZ