Is Longhorn what we think it is?

Biohead

I was browsing through the web (like you usually do) and came across the info for all the windows codenames.

It was all the usual Chicago, Detroit, Whistler etc and then it came to Longhorn: Windows XP 2nd edition. And then above Longhorn was Blackcomb: Successor to XP.

Does anyone have some more info on this, and especially what Blackcomb is?

Source: http://www.bitzenbytes.com/Content-Arcanum-18-1-61.html

Edited by Biohead

Blackcomb started off as the next release of Windows to replace XP (Whistler). However, in 2001 Microsoft vice president Jim Allchin annouced that Microsoft would ship Longhorn as an interim release before Blackcomb comes out.

Edited by At0mic

Yeah, we all know what its like. I kinda like it anyway.

But is it really a new operating system or is it just a new/revamped operating system to keep us happy until Blackcomb?

But is it really a new operating system or is it just a new/revamped operating system to keep us happy until Blackcomb?

Depends how you define the term "new". Would you call XP new or would you say its a revamped version of 2000?

Edited by At0mic

I personnaly would call it new, even though I know its a graphically rediesigned version of 2000. Do you know what I mean.

However I would call 2000 an upgrade to NT4, not a new OS.

Same with 95-98. Just an upgrade.

I think longhorn is just an upgrade to XP, especially now half the features for it have been scrapped - I barely see the point in it, as things like IE7, avalon, and whatever else are all gonna be in XP SP3 or SP4 anyways.... Only things you might not get are a crappy sidebar, and windows that can wobble or some s***...

Also if TC is going to be introduced in longhorn, that's a down point for it as well... Unless the philosophy on that, and on what's going to be included in longhorn changes radically, there's very little point on upgrading.

Edited by iCEhOT

• 2 weeks later...

It is most likely a revamped version of Windows XP SP2, with a few extra features, most likely similar to the Windows 95/98 sort of thing. Like said above Blackcomb was originally supposed to be the next release, however, due to its long release date of like 2007-2008 Microsoft decided to release Longhorn with not as many new features with a quicker release date.