XP nightmare

Cartel

Hi all,

I got this new board and stuff and thought it was time for XP.........

WRONG

I did ntfs format and it figured D:\ was C:\ because all my other "crap" is in fat32 on 2 more drives.

If that wasn't enough, it started restarting for no reason, restart, restart, restart, Stop, fdisk, format, back-up of 98se, copy, bye bye XP.

Then I tried 2000pro, seems more like 98se, but the drivers are terrible !

I tried original drivers for my soundcard and they kept saying WDM.

Format, back-up, copy 98se.

Thank god for data lifeguard tools 11 from Western Digital

Now I want a good operating system, what do I do ?

Hi all,

WRONG

I did ntfs format and it figured D:\ was C:\ because all my other "crap" is in fat32 on 2 more drives.

If that wasn't enough, it started restarting for no reason, restart, restart, restart, Stop, fdisk, format, back-up of 98se, copy, bye bye XP.

Then I tried 2000pro, seems more like 98se, but the drivers are terrible !

I tried original drivers for my soundcard and they kept saying WDM.

Format, back-up, copy 98se.

Thank god for data lifeguard tools 11 from Western Digital

Now I want a good operating system, what do I do ?

Learn a bit more about computers before you blame your lack of knowledge on an OS.

i went through some of the same frustration you did, but not because of XP; no matter what MS OS i've used, if i have more than disk, it may decide to install on the the wrong one. the problem was compounded when i built my last box which has a 2 disk RAID 0 array (which is where i install the OS and programs). there may be a more elegant solution, but what works fine for me is just to unplug the power supply to all disks except the one i want to install on. very simple.

atomizer is right...you need to unplug any physical disks you have.

also...are you doing a upgrade or clean install?

if you do only have one disk...and it is a clean install...just fdisk the disk but do not create any partitions...let xp do all of it for you during the install...

don't get frustrated about your mistakes...it's trial and error

Hi all,

WRONG

Which service packs did you have installed? XP is simple enough, as long as you have at least SP1a, SP2 causes too many problems still, and M$ is too slow in fixing the problems.

If you truely believe 98se is better than XP more power to you. But dont blame the OS, on your lack of intelligence.

Hi all, thanks for your posts,

I had WinXP sp2........ :wacko: and i was fine in ntfs......then half-way doing a anti-virus update it restarted with no warning.

Then i kept restarting, over and over. So before i get some bad sectors on my drive i formated.

I tried fat32, worked half a day then the same crap.

So I try 2000pro.

fat32 workin fine but then my sound was crackin on some games so i gave it the oringinal yamaha driver, it said wdm and the sound wouldnt work and the game port was wack so, format.

I'm on 98se and did the pack from u guys and its workin ok.

I had some of this already cause i used winzip on the installer and custom picked some goodies.

But I did the full instal except 2000 scheme.

I still have 2000pro but I'm not sure if it's better or not.

Maybe its something in the bios ?

Hi all, thanks for your posts,

I had WinXP sp2........  :wacko:  and i was fine in ntfs......then half-way doing a anti-virus update it restarted with no warning.

Then i kept restarting, over and over. So before i get some bad sectors on my drive i formated.

FDISK / Format are a total waste of time. use a little utility released by Norton Ghost called GDISK it'll zero your drive (providing there isn't anything physically wrong) and it'll do it in less than 1/100th the time that it takes for fdisk.

Drop me a PM and I'll email it to you, it's very small, slightly larger than fdisk.exe but does a million things better than fdisk.