Desktop Background Issue

Hi Everyone!

I know that there has been a few threads about this, but I still can't seem to make it work. I thought that simple cabing the file and replacing the bliss.jp_ would do the trick, but I was wrong. I also tried this:

;Change the Default Wallpaper to the one you want
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General]
"BackupWallpaper"="c:\windows\web\wallpaper\image.jpg"
"Wallpaper"="c:\windows\web\wallpaper\image.jpg"

And that didn't work either. I checked the registry and I realized that this tweak didn't get applied at all. The "BackupWallpaper" and the "Wallpaper" entries are missing. How do I solve this the easiest way?

Thanks guys!

Marthax

Don't forget in REG file you must use double \

;Change the Default Wallpaper to the one you want
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General]
"BackupWallpaper"="%Windir%\\web\\wallpaper\\image.jpg"
"Wallpaper"="%Windir%\\web\\wallpaper\\image.jpg"

and use Windir it's more clean ;-)

Ok, thx. I'll give it another try.

@MAVERICKS CHOICE: Will this method work no mather what you remove using nLite? Are there any components that are required for this method to work?

Oh, one more thing. Why do actually have to use double "\" when using that registry entry?

Edited by Marthax

Oh, I see. Thx for enlightening me :)

EDIT: That didn't work. I tried changing the entry to double "\", but it didn't help a thing. I still have the dull blue desktop background when my computer boots.

Edited by Marthax

I've found it easier just to use a theme referenced in winnt.sif, which has a flooded bliss background and the colour/layout of windows how I like it pre-configured. I also have a desktop changer program called WinWall installed after RunOnceEx in a batch file run at the end of it, which has a reg file run before installation which will load a different wallpaper after it's installed (the installation is attended, with an option to run WinWall, which changes the wallpaper to one from a pre-defined directory set via the reg file run previously).

This reg entry is also useful if you use the Ctrl-Alt-Del logon screen.

;Set logon box background image
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"Wallpaper"="file source using \\ between folders"

That's originally what I'd meant by adding it to winnt.sif, but I either forgot to mention the line, or didn't know it off hand, or thought you could find it on here or other guides somewhere....

With the other stuff I mentioned, the attended part was for the WinWall program install, which is part of a batch file run at the end of RunOnceEx, mostly made up off attended installs, but designed to save me manually running everything later. That reg code was just something extra as well, seeing as both were on the topic of desktop related.

Sorry if all that other stuff was too much, but yeah, that code is all you need - of course you need to configure and save the theme first - and possibly stick it in the $oem$\$$ folder I think under system32 or so, then reference to that when it gets copied locally as %systemroot%\system32\name.theme. You'd need the bitmap in the same folder or on a fixed drive that will stay the same when you install, or it won't work, unless you edit the theme in Notepad to specify the location, e.g. %systemroot%\system32\name.bmp

Ok, thx. I'll give it another try.

@MAVERICKS CHOICE: Will this method work no mather what you remove using nLite? Are there any components that are required for this method to work?

Oh, one more thing. Why do actually have to use double "\" when using that registry entry?

Sorry for the delay, I always replace the bliss file with my own each time following NLite prior to making the image & has worked every time.

Replacing the Bliss.jp_ of course works, and when I do it I make sure to include the horrible Bliss_orig.jpg in the Wallpaper folder.

Rather than fiddling with any of that, I've found it easier to just use a theme file reference in the winnt.sif file. using the default location for themes:

[Shell]
    CustomDefaultThemeFile = "%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\YourTheme.theme"

If you use a non-standard bmp. jpg or gif for the background, then make sure you include it in your $oem$\$$\Web\Wallpaper folder and it will be copied over early on.

This works for the current user only and all new users will get the standard yucky Bilss to start with. If you replace the Bliss.jp_ then, you avoid this problem, but are stuck with a stupid name for your file. Your choice! :o)

Sorry if all that other stuff was too much, but yeah, that code is all you need - of course you need to configure and save the theme first - and possibly stick it in the $oem$\$$ folder I think under system32 or so, then reference to that when it gets copied locally as %systemroot%\system32\name.theme.  You'd need the bitmap in the same folder or on a fixed drive that will stay the same when you install, or it won't work, unless you edit the theme in Notepad to specify the location, e.g. %systemroot%\system32\name.bmp

The themes have to be in: $OEM$\$$\Resources\Themes

Just my 2cents ;)