Windows Server 2003 Activation Hack

Ok before someone decides to mail the administrator to say im on about something illegal......im not - all im after is a hack where i can keep the activation files/ registry keys so when i reinstall my system i dont have to contact microsoft. I am using the same system nothing changed - Ive tried saving the wpa files from the system 32 folder then copying them to the new system files when ive reinstalled but that dont help.

Thanks peeps

Ok before someone decides to mail the administrator to say im on about something illegal......im not - all im after is a hack where i can keep the activation files/ registry keys so when i reinstall my system i dont have to contact microsoft. I am using the same system nothing changed - Ive tried saving the wpa files from the system 32 folder then copying them to the new system files when ive reinstalled but that dont help.

Thanks peeps

To activate Windows XP/2003 using an unattended installation procedure, add the following information to the Unattend.txt file or the Winnt.sif answer file:

In the Unattended section, type

AutoActivate = Yes

Under the UserData section, type

ProductID = "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

I know this isn't what you were asking, but maybe if you make the procedure transparent, you'll achieve part of your objective? :}

This is for XP- may work w/2k3?? (I don't know)

Backup Windows Product Activation (WPA)

Information about the current activation is stored in an encrypted database file named Wpa.dbl, which you can backup and then restore once you've reinstalled XP. Keep in mind this technique allows you only to reinstall XP on the same computer - it isn’t a hack to pirate the OS!

Here’s how to backup your Wpa.dbl file:

1. Insert a blank, formatted disk into the floppy disk drive.

2. Using windows explorer, navigate to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

3. Right click on the Wpa.dbl file and select Send to > 3 1/2 Floppy.

4. You can then reformat the hard disk and reinstall XP, once the installation procedure is complete, follow these steps to restore the Wpa.dbl file:

5. Restart the computer.

6. Press [F8]when you see the message “Please select the operating system to start”.

7. From the bootup menu, select safe mode.

8. Then using windows explorer, navigate to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

9. Rename the existing Wpa.dbl to Wpa.new.

10. Insert the disk that contains the backup into the floppy disk drive.

11. Copy the Wpa.dbl file from the floppy disk to the C:\windows\system32 folder.

12. Restart the computer.

Since you’re using the exact copy of XP that was previously installed the original Wpa.dbl will be accepted and you won’t have to go through all the hassle of re-activation.

Edited to add code tags.

Edited by k0pect8

Yes, what k0spect8 said is correct, but you can automate this task by putting the WPA.dbl file in the $OEM$\$$\System32 folder of your install CD.

That will have the file there on first boot, and activation will never bother you again!

This is for XP- may work w/2k3?? (I don't know)

Backup Windows Product Activation (WPA)

Information about the current activation is stored in an encrypted database file named Wpa.dbl, which you can backup and then restore once you've reinstalled XP. Keep in mind this technique allows you only to reinstall XP on the same computer - it isn’t a hack to pirate the OS!

Here’s how to backup your Wpa.dbl file:

1. Insert a blank, formatted disk into the floppy disk drive.

2. Using windows explorer, navigate to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

3. Right click on the Wpa.dbl file and select Send to > 3 1/2 Floppy.

4. You can then reformat the hard disk and reinstall XP, once the installation procedure is complete, follow these steps to restore the Wpa.dbl file:

5. Restart the computer.

6. Press [F8] when you see the message “Please select the operating system to start”.

7. From the bootup menu, select safe mode.

8. Then using windows explorer, navigate to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

9. Rename the existing Wpa.dbl to Wpa.new.

10. Insert the disk that contains the backup into the floppy disk drive.

11. Copy the Wpa.dbl file from the floppy disk to the C:\windows\system32 folder.

12. Restart the computer.

Since you’re using the exact copy of XP that was previously installed the original Wpa.dbl will be accepted and you won’t have to go through all the hassle of re-activation.

Yes, what k0spect8 said is correct, but you can automate this task by putting the WPA.dbl file in the $OEM$\$$\System32 folder of your install CD.

That will have the file there on first boot, and activation will never bother you again!

thats what i did on one of my ua cds, works freakn great :thumbup

thanks again to everyone at msfn B)

• 1 month later...

If im right this wont work at all on some versions. This is due to the WFP (Windows File Protection) on WS 2003 as soon as you replace a core file it automatically reverts back to the original (as it has to be activated via internet/phone) disabling WFP may help but ive heard if you have SP1 installed it wont work with changing the one reg key to disable WFP thats if you wanted to.