DHCP + DNS

Hi everyone,

Is it better to leave the job of DHCP + DNS to the router or to the server 2003 Box, which is also running AD.

I am also wondering if it is just best to use router for dns, and use staic ip's.

Your thoughts?

cheers

Andy (1st time poster)

Personally, I would have both running DHCP (with different address ranges of course), so that if the Server is offline, at least your clients can get an IP address. Routers don't provide DNS as far as I am aware. Your Server will provide LAN DNS and your ISP will provide Internet DNS.

Edited by FAT64

Also from the same TechNet site ...

With two DHCP servers, if one server is unavailable, the other server can take its place and continue to lease new addresses or renew existing clients.

I dunno of any routers that provide DNS, you can use Static IPs in a small network. However, I know of certain firewalls that are capable of assigning IPs, and providing DNS, eg. Watchguard X500.

Hi everyone,

Is it better to leave the job of DHCP + DNS to the router or to the server 2003 Box, which is also running AD.

I am also wondering if it is just best to use router for dns, and use staic ip's.

Your thoughts?

cheers

Andy (1st time poster)

You CAN NOT authorize router DHCP server in AD ... so run DHCP from your Win2k3 box ...

Hmm... would it not be favourable to do away with the router and use the 2003 box as a gateway? thru routing and remote access that will also provide a better NAT (if NAT is required that is, you didnt state if it was a WAN router or IP router)

Hi everyone,

Your thoughts?

cheers

Andy (1st time poster)

You CAN NOT authorize router DHCP server in AD ... so run DHCP from your Win2k3 box ...

I'm not sure not being able to auth a router's DHCP service in AD would affect anything, since clients would still be able to grab IPs from any DHCP server on the network, including a router. It would, however, affect being able to use RIS, since I'v personally had issues with using non-AD DHCP servers and RIS. I'm sure there are ways to provision an AD network so that clients refuse anything except AD DHCP packets. I'd actually be interested to hear if anyone has ever done this :yes:

Hi everyone,

Your thoughts?

cheers

Andy (1st time poster)

I'm not sure not being able to auth a router's DHCP service in AD would affect anything, since clients would still be able to grab IPs from any DHCP server on the network, including a router. It would, however, affect being able to use RIS, since I'v personally had issues with using non-AD DHCP servers and RIS. I'm sure there are ways to provision an AD network so that clients refuse anything except AD DHCP packets. I'd actually be interested to hear if anyone has ever done this :yes:

I've tried few times using non-AD DHCP and there were always issues ... bunch of errors in event log, etc. ... I dont think MS thought of someone using third party DHCP server with AD :)

Sorry guys, Ive been away for awhile.

See, my main reason for using router as DHCP was so in the event of server falling on its arse, users could still surf the net via local accounts.

But, would this still work, ie if server fell over, would they clients just keep the assigned addresses and be able to surf?

I had to restart the server recently, and the clients couldnt surf the internet.

When I tried using static IP's, the logins would take 7min+!!! for some unknown reson, using server as dhcp solved this.

But now that I have learned more, and the system is more established, I would like to refine it a little more.

Cheers

Sorry guys, Ive been away for awhile.

See, my main reason for using router as DHCP was so in the event of server falling on its arse, users could still surf the net via local accounts.

But, would this still work, ie if server fell over, would they clients just keep the assigned addresses and be able to surf?

I had to restart the server recently, and the clients couldnt surf the internet.

When I tried using static IP's, the logins would take 7min+!!! for some unknown reson, using server as dhcp solved this.

But now that I have learned more, and the system is more established, I would like to refine it a little more.

Cheers

Long logins with AD is almost always a DNS issue. Check your client records in the DNS console for duplicates. Also, if you're running WINS duplicate records in the database can sometimes cause a problem.

If you want your clients to be able to surf the net when server falls over (although, keeping the server standing up straight would also solve your issues, it would seem), configure your Win2003 DHCP to assign your clients the AD DNS server as DNS server #1 and your ISP DNS server as #2. Or alternately, just set up a caching-only DNS server in your perimeter and call it a day.

Edited by maxamoto