Promise SATA/ATA card problem solved

rustycaps

I just bought a Promise SATA 150TX2 Plus controller card (the one with 2 SATA and 1 IDE channel/s) the other day, and I'd gone and Nlite'd a CD with what I thought were the newer drivers for the card. So time comes to install windows (change boot drive, etc around, which is why I was reinstalling), and it only detects the primary boot drive and the (at the time) unpartitioned RAID0 array, so I let it reinstall, then I went and d/l some of the other drivers on the site, and re Nliting to no avail (when I tried to install), and even the floppy drivers didn't work (had to copy via file server as this system has no floppy drive). I had nearly had enough when I remembered I'd downloaded a RAID drivers zip file or something of here, which had a whole heap of RAID/ATA chipset and controller card drivers and txtsetup.sif code with it. I checked it for the Promise 150 series, and thankfully it was there, so I copied the necessary code into txtsetup.sif and the drivers into their proper locations and then after everything else needed to create the CD, it worked!!

Only thing was that the controller card was detected before the onboard SIL RAID0 array, which stuffed the drive lettering around (changed 2 sata drives around and fixed it), even though boot order was RAID0 then controller card drives, but it's all working fine otherwise thanks to GreenMachince I think it was where that file was sourced from ages ago when I got it.

I just looked at the readme file from in the extracted directory and it was a RyanVM product with a changelog date of 20.5.04 (or 5/20/04 for US people).

I know that this post may not be so useful as such, but I was just saying thanks for that file being posting and me remembering about downloading it, so it did what it was supposed to do.

So, I guess I could try and see if the newer drivers work using the existing (working) settings from txtsetup.sif, and just update the drivers and the sy_ file in i386? I checked the (your) site with info on the pack, but I don't think there's much difference in dates between the drivers I got working now from the old pack (1.0.0.27) and the ones listed there (1.0.0.37 I think), as mine shows up dated 6/12/03, though new ones on the Promise site are only listed as 1.00.0.31 dated 4/28/05.

I just noticed on your listing that the card I've got is actually listed down further (on 2nd thoughts, ignore that, cos I just realised/noticed on the manual that I've got the older/original card anyway!). I'd originally gone and downloaded the drivers for the SATA II 150TX2 plus thinking that's what it was based only on the 150TX2 Plus part (that's why the CDs didn't work too obviously!), but this isn't the SATA II card - site only lists as SATA 150 TX2 Plus, and drives aren't SATA II anyway, so all is good in that respect. I just looked through the Promise site under the main products menu, when I should have gone into the full product drop down menu which I did just then, and saw the version I really wanted.....

I just had a look at the file from your site, and compared it with the filenames I got working here, and it's the P/6 folder that has the ulsata.sys file which is the same date, etc as what I've got working now, so basically I did all that for nothing in the end it seems....

I think I'll just leave it as is now, as it's working - I can't even seem to find the right card on the Promise site - there's either a SATAII150 TX2 Plus, or a FastTrak SATA 150 TX2 Plus, but I've tried the SATA II drivers without success and I don't think the card had Fast Trak printed on it...... FFS! :realmad: