New NVidia Forceware 77.72 official drivers

I have read many times that new drivers are optimized for new video cards only and give worse results with older video cards and version like 45.32 are recommended. I never tried to investigate this topic in detail.

Overrall, this is a myth, there are MANY benchmarks out there that show the performance of various drivers and overall the speed increases, although there are a couple dips here and there. The last round of benchmarks I've seen have shown the 77.xx drivers are the fastest drivers since many releases ago. The biggest reason why this is (partially) a myth is because the same driver doesn't install for every PC. It's actually a Nvidia pack of drivers that detects your card and installs the proper driver. So an optimization for a newer card will give that new card huge speed boosts but won't affect you negatively at all. And if Nvidia restructures their drivers, they replicate this change in the drivers for the older cards.

Of course I don't know how using a 9x kernel will affect this because all benchmarks now-a-days are on XP. I would love to see a proper driver comparison that compares the best driver of each series 22.xx, 33.xx, 44.xx, 55.xx, 66.xx and 77.xx and compared on 98 and XP.

Here are some older benches that show 71.x, 75,x and 76.x on a 6800 running XP SP1:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6055

Edited by Rhelic