AOL install under Win X64

After much spinning of wheels, I've concluded that AOL 9.0, although it will install under Win 64, can't connect to the internet, giving a message to that effect upon loading. However one can browse mail and do all functions not involving http requests.

AOL tech support is vastly confused on this and had me reinstalling win x64, running webutil, defragging, etc all to no avail. I've concluded it's in the way 9.0 uses it's own modified IE 6.0 browser.

I was hoping that the AOL beta browser for x64 might solve this. I downloaded it and it does work stand alone just as Internet Explorer or Firebox would, but it was of no help it letting me get to it upon launching 9.0 and I'm wondering what it provides that IE, Firefox etc doesn't.

1. Is the above correct....AOL 9.0 does not work under Win x64?

2. There is no way to integrate the beta 64 bit browser into 9.0?

3. Shouldn't AOL provide some guidance for people buying AMD/Intel 64 bit systems with some forward looking statement about this. I bought Win x64 operating system with my system. If AOL 9.0 won't work with it now & for an indefinite time, it's a showstopper for me as AOL along with Power Tools is my key interface to the internet. I have 4 years invested in cataloguing web sites and using Power Tools Phase Editor to structure various text and can't make a change away from AOL & Power Tools.

I've got to make a strategic choice whether to forget Win x64 and revert back to Win XP before I go any further installing other applications (all of which work okay so far) and cutting over to my new system. Without guidance from AOL, I'm flying blind.

Thanks & regards,

Ron

Edited by cove3

Without guidance from AOL, I'm flying blind.

Thanks & regards,

Ron

:blink:

I just don't know what to say to that. You are *that* dependent on AOL? What exactly is it you're trying to do that can't be done without a resource hog internet software like AOL?

I'm using Power Tools which works only in conjunction with AOL. It has some amazing functions, too many to list, except two. It has an awesome way of cataloging web sites in a structured way, as well as a custom phase editor which lets you create structured text. Both utilize an interface similar to Windows explorer...hierarical folders, but with ability to add URL's & comments. Both use MS Access database

Using this over the past 5 years, I've got over 5000 web sites catalogued and perhaps a similar number of text items.

I'm totally locked into AOL/Power Tools. Switching to another ISP is out of the question. Hence, I've either got to figure out how to get AOL to connect to the internet under Win x64, or revert back to Win XP. If I had known this when I was ordering my parts, and if it turns out there's no fix coming in the near future, I would have ordered another copy of Win XP, rather than Win x64, and waited for AOl to make up their mind on support. I'm still not giving up hope I can get AOL 9.0 client to work with their stand alone beta browser. I've got posts and emails out & should have a full understanding of the situation in another week

Regards, Ron

Edited by cove3

Success. Turns out the latest AOL cd-rom install did not install a 64bit winminiport, so it means no 64 bit driver was available to connect to the internet.

AOL 9.0 installs AOL Connectivity Service (ACS) 3.0 from the cd-rom. I was told to download a Beta ACS 4.0. When I did this, I was able to connect to the internet and both AOL 8.0 and 9.0 are now working well under Win x64.

Regards, Ron

Go to keyword Beta and the home page lists ACS 4.0 toward the bottom of the page.

I think you can also Control Program/Add delete programs & uninstall AOL Connectivity Service (with AOL 9.0 closed). Then the next time you load AOL there's a small acsetup.exc that will go to the internet & download ACS 4.0 & install it for you.

Then go to Device Manager/View/Show Hidden Devices and under Network Adapters, you will see a number of winminiports installed. I'm not sure which is the 64 bit driver one that allows AOL to work, though

Regards, Ron

Edited by cove3

:hello: After much hunting I found steps to run AOL 9.0 SE on windows XP Pro 64 Bit. You need to download "JRE 5.0 update 4" from java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp for AMD64 bit. I could not get on web at all with my 64 bit system so had to download ACS 4.0 beta to my 32 bit system then copy the file folder to cd along with the java download, then boot up 64 bit system and install, java, then aol 9.0 se and then go to control panel/add/remove programs and remove the AOL connectivity service reboot then install the ACS 4.0 beta. Now 64 bit and AOL work great.

• 1 month later...

Hi, ive read though the forum but im still rather Confused, I tryed installing X64 while back but with same problem aol wouldnt work. What all do i need to get it to run and in what order do i need to install them.

Thanks hope someone can help me out.

Ok then if no one will explain am i getting this right?

Install x64

Install all my Drivers

Install jre-1_5_0_04-windows-amd64.exe

then install AOL

And it should work? or am i missing something?

Thanks alot If anyone could help me that would be awsome thats all thats keeping me from moving to a x64 OS.

• 9 months later...

when I put AOL 9.0 SE in it says were sorry AOL is unable to install and I don't know what to do I v been trying what iv heard other people are doing but I don't think I am doing it right cause I do sent make a difference so i any one who knows how to fix this PLEASE HELP

• 1 month later...

ok now that ive found and downloaded the AOL ACS software(keep in mind ppl this is beta software) ill play around with it to se if i can find some way to get any verson of AOL to install and run on win xp 64bit and maby vista 32/64bit versons.

every time i try to install AOL 9.0 se the auto installer tells me that it couldnt find a sutible verson to install. but i found that 9.0 optimised will install but ACS will not. i think ive tryed AOL 7.0-8.0 and 1 did install, but did not work properly.

im not sure if u still have to sine up to download and test AOL's beta software or not anymore. but if u want to try to play with ACS, u must download it via the AOL software. i hade to install it to my xp 32bit verson 1st. then i did a search under start for ACS to find the folder. it does not show up in a dir. i looked for hrs and found nothing. have fun getting this POS software to work right. i always have problems with AOL. :hello: