HotFixes: Using both SVCPACK.INF and /integrate

Hi,

I am using both the Svcpack.inf and the /integrate options to integrate my hotfixes into WinXP (Service Pack 2 already integrated).

The reason I am doing this is because I want to have my hotfixes/patches integrated into XP ahead of the installation.

But the following do not work with /integrate and all I can think of to do is to put them into SVCPACK.INF as in the Unattended tutorial.

- KB890830 (Malicious Software Removal tool)

- KB831240 (HighMAT support)

(Also I want to slipstream Windows Media Player 10 & .NET into the CD, another reason I why I want to have the hotfixes integrated rather than using SVCPACK.INF all the way).

The problem is that even though everything installed smoothly, when I did a Windows Update, the recent hotfix KB893066 shows up.

But as far as I can see, KB893066 got integrated since it shows up in the I386/SVCPACK folder with all the other hotfixes that got integrated.

I used IcemanND script to integrate my hotfixes:

IcemanND Hotfix Integration script

I used Iceman since it is supposed to install the hotfixes in some proper order.

(As far as I have read it fixes a problem with one hotfix overiding another?).

The following is my SVCPACK.INF file:

[CatalogHeader]

[Version]
BuildNumber=2600
MinorVersion=1
MajorVersion=5
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\I386\svcpack"

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
KB896428.exe /q /n /z
KB896422.exe /q /n /z
KB896358.exe /q /n /z
KB893803v2.exe /q /n /z
KB893086.exe /q /n /z
KB893066.exe /q /n /z
KB891781.exe /q /n /z
KB890859.exe /q /n /z
KB890831.exe /q /n /z
KB890175.exe /q /n /z
KB890046.exe /q /n /z
KB888302.exe /q /n /z
KB888240.exe /q /n /z
KB888113.exe /q /n /z
KB887797.exe /q /n /z
KB887742.exe /q /n /z
KB886716.exe /q /n /z
KB886677.exe /q /n /z
KB886185.exe /q /n /z
KB885836.exe /q /n /z
KB885626.exe /q /n /z
KB885250.exe /q /n /z
KB885222.exe /q /n /z
KB884883.exe /q /n /z
KB884020.exe /q /n /z
KB883939.exe /q /n /z
KB873339.exe /q /n /z
KB873333.exe /q /n /z
KB885835.exe /q /n /z
KB890830.exe /Q
KB831240.exe /Q
qchain.exe

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
KB896428.cat
KB896422.cat
KB896358.cat
KB893803v2_wxp.cat
KB893086.cat
KB893066.cat
KB891781.cat
KB890859.cat
KB890831.cat
KB890175.cat
KB890046.cat
KB888302.cat
KB888240.cat
KB888113.cat
KB887797.cat
KB887742.cat
KB886716.cat
KB886677.cat
KB886185.cat
KB885836.cat
KB885626.cat
KB885250.cat
KB885222.cat
KB884883.cat
KB884020.cat
KB883939.cat
KB873339.cat
KB873333.cat
KB885835.cat

I would like to figure out what I am doing wrong.

What I am probably doing is stupidly wrong but not so obvious to me.

So if anyone can point out what is wrong or being done badly, I would appreciate it. Any suggestions on Alternate solutions are appreciated as well.

TIA!

Majoram

first of all you need to know that /integrate does nothing more than automating the process of adding a hotfix to svcpack.inf

nothing more, nothing less.

i guess you already checked if KB893066.exe is inside the SVCPACK folder, didnt you?

@eirogge: /integrate also (stupidly) replaces the CAB-compressed files on in i386 with uncompressed hotfixed versions.

@Majoram: The two "hotfixes" you're adding to svcpack.inf aren't hotfixes, hence why they don't support integration. Neither is updating any files on the Windows installation. That being said, you should be OK running their EXEs from svcpack.inf.

As for KB893066, are you using a hacked tcpip.sys by chance?

@Majoram: The two "hotfixes" you're adding to svcpack.inf aren't hotfixes, hence why they don't support integration. Neither is updating any files on the Windows installation.  That being said, you should be OK running their EXEs from svcpack.inf.

As for KB893066, are you using a hacked tcpip.sys by chance?

Nope i'm not using any hacked stuff yet.

I'm just getting a basic setup going.

I know they aren't "hotfixes". Sorry for wording it incorrectly :D

I was just using it as a general term.

So since /integrate does not do anything much different than just using the SVCPACK.INF, should I just go all out and use SVCPACK.INF method?

Basically I just want to collect together my Hotfixes, Non-critical Updates, WMP10, MSN7 and .NET (plus fixes) into one install. And I am wondering what is the "cleanest/surest" method of making sure everything goes alright.

I know qchain.exe is supposed to make sure everything is ok, right?

I am using the list below as my source of which updates to download:

Unattended Windows Forum: Hotfixes List

I would appreciate any alternate suggestions or just any advice at all.

thanks!

Majoram

first of all you need to know that /integrate does nothing more than automating the process of adding a hotfix to svcpack.inf

nothing more, nothing less.

i guess you already checked if KB893066.exe is inside the SVCPACK folder, didnt you?

Cool Thanks for the info!

Yup, I had checked to see if KB893066.exe is inside the SVCPACK folder.

It was there and yet it didn't install arrgghhh :}

may i ask a question a little bit offtopic maby but, what does the:

KB896428.cat
KB896422.cat
KB896358.cat
etc...
etc...

do?

i dont use that flag in my SVCPACK.INF myself and it works fine (i think), just curious

may i ask a question a little bit offtopic maby but, what does the:

KB896428.cat
KB896422.cat
KB896358.cat
etc...
etc...

do?

i dont use that flag in my SVCPACK.INF myself and it works fine (i think), just curious

I didn't put those in. That's what is automatically generated when you use the /integrate switch with a hotfix.

I don't know exactly what it does though.

Why even bother doing it all manually?

There are some very good and simple-to-use tools created by MSFN-users, for example XPCreate and nLite!

I prefer using XPCreate to integrate all updates and some more MS-stuff like WMP and .NET. nLite can be used to slim down the installation source and lots of other stuff. I think a combination of them plus adding some personal tweaks and other files is the best and quickest way to create a fully updated unattended CD/DVD.

Why redo something that someone else has already done for you?!

Doing it manually first is a good way to learn the skills and concepts; the tools help to ease the process or rid the tedium of doing it repeatedly.

I doubt if it's ever worth including the Malicious Software Removal Tool in an uA. It is updated monthly, only scans the PC once. And if you start off with a clean set of XP source files, what is the risk of having malware in it anyway?

Why even bother doing it all manually?

There are some very good and simple-to-use tools created by MSFN-users, for example XPCreate and nLite!

I prefer using XPCreate to integrate all updates and some more MS-stuff like WMP and .NET. nLite can be used to slim down the installation source and lots of other stuff. I think a combination of them plus adding some personal tweaks and other files is the best and quickest way to create a fully updated unattended CD/DVD.

Why redo something that someone else has already done for you?!

I tried getting XPCREATE but I never got a reply.

Also I've read nLite might not be so good for applying hotfixes because it doesn't do any checking to see if they are properly applied. (sorry can't remember exactly where but it's somewhere in these forums).

Finally, I also like learning things from the ground up. Just for fun. Plus I know what is going behind the scenes then.

Thanks to Alanoll it is now possible to get XPCreate!

(Check out the XPCreate forum)

I'm not sure, but I think XPCreate works better than nLite in order to add different types of hotfixes and MS-progs/-updates.

In the beginning I had the same idea as you have about doing it all manually to learn it and have better control of what's going on. But after learning it and doing it for a while and realizing how much work that has to be done, which has already been done by others I now do most of it using the progs mentioned and then add my own stuff. I did study the code of the old XPCreate (I think it was allowed back then when i got it) and saw that it did all of what I did, but by using it I could focus on other things than just adding/integrating the hotfixes and some other MS-stuff.

I just didn't mention all of RyanVM's work, that is also a great addition and help in creating a very good unattended cd. I myself don't use his packs/files because I use a Swedish version of Windows and it also makes me less dependent of others for updates. But I have tried it on an english version and it did indeed work very good.

@RyanVM :blushing: Hi Ryan! Actually your work was one of the first sites I looked at. Good Stuff. But it kinda overwhelmed me a bit. I just prefer to do updates and such myself but I still use your site to check stuff and I plan to use some of the silent installs from your site as well.

Btw Ryan. I noticed you have a pretty looonnng list of needed KB????? with your packs. I am just curious, why is the list so long? According to lists I've seen on these forums and other sites, there are not that many fixes needed since old ones supercede the need for older fixes. Am I missing something?

@DL Thanks DL! I will check the XPCREATE forums right now. I'm pretty much going the same route as you are doing. I usually just start off with the basics until i'm comfortable then try out tools like XPCREATE etc

Thanks for all the help Everyone!!!

I tried making another CD again but this time with JUST integratable Hotfixes (no non-critical updates etc).

I'm still having the problem where KB893066 does not get installed. Well at the very least Windows Update says it is not.

Thanks again all!

have you used any tools like nlite or batchfiles that removed components from your windows cd?

Nope, well sorta no. I assume you are referring to my second try that I just posted.

All I used was IcemanND script (see my original post) to integrate the hotfixes.

I didn't remove/add anything or use any other scripts/files etc.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

Thanks!