autoit

hello everyone,

i have heard some mention of autoit but am a bit unsure of what it's use for in the uncd

i see that it can help eith installing software when no silent switch can be found...but is that all it can do ....should i try it out , even tho i don't have a problem with my switches..??

@Vakhal

AutoIt is primarily useful for emulating keystrokes and mousepresses. You can tell it, "wait for this window to open and click the button labeled this." This is handy when you want to specify specific options in the installer that you can't do with switches/properties. However...it looks ugly. You see the program window flash open, then go through the different steps of the install process (very fast, but you see it none-the-less). Silent switches are a much better option, or if it is an MSI you can create a transform for it.

AutoIt can also be used for other things; it can even be used to create a small program with a nice GUI, or change some setting in Windows you can't find a registry key for. It's fun to poke around with, but IMO ultimately the last option for installers.

@Jondercik

...Don't be rude. Maybe you should "RTFM" on posting guidelines and etiquette.

thanks Achdine for your reply

it won't be any use in my unattended cd but i think i'll download it anyway just for fun

jondercik...i may only have been here a month, but i see a lot of people with your attatude...i'm a newbie and i don't know that much yet, and some of my posted topics may not be that bright....but i'm learning and i know when i'm no longer a newbie i won't treat like s*** ...like you do.

AutoIt will do more than most people probably know. It's automation software. It's GUI software. You can use it to collect data and run programs. It's like any other scripting software only more powerful. It's just as powerful, if not more than JavaScript or VBScript. I have used it for such things as automating skill building in Final Fantasy XI to using it to collect data and launch a webpage based on it's answers. It supports reading and writing from/to INI files or text files. It's very powerful software that I believe many of the people here use in very limited ways.

it won't be any use in my unattended cd but i think i'll download it anyway just for fun

good decision, i've noticed that of the packages I used to install with it, many would run into programs (such as the installer throwing a message box that it hadn't when you did your "test install" or even worse the installer freezing). In cases like this, the autoit script/exe sits in memory waiting for something thats not coming -- and if it doesn't return control to RunOnce then it can sure kill the "unattended" part of your uA cd.

at the same time, autoit is still very useful (and besides its not like it fails on all "silent" installs) :P

Edited by spiritpyre

AutoIt will do more than most people probably know.  It's automation software.  It's GUI software.  You can use it to collect data and run programs.  It's like any other scripting software only more powerful.  It's just as powerful, if not more than JavaScript or VBScript.  I have used it for such things as automating skill building in Final Fantasy XI to using it to collect data and launch a webpage based on it's answers.  It supports reading and writing from/to INI files or text files.  It's very powerful software that I believe many of the people here use in very limited ways.

Very well stated.

It can do whatever is required. No other third party tools should be needed to do any unattended task. AutoIt is the last tool that I would use for installs, and the first tool, I would use for installs. It can control installs which are silent, or can do them in Gui mode. Environment variables can created and used instantly, shortcuts created, etc. The features just keep on going.

The Autoit beta has Com and ActiveX support. So Autoit will be able to do the tasks that VBScript are best with, just with a basic langauge.

Only the ones who commit to using this powerful language, will enjoy it's benefits.

If you need a good free programming editor, then go here.