2.01: System Properties

obs

- clean install of 98SE + SP2.01

Immediately after installing SP2.01, in Control Panel ... System ... System Properties pane, it no longer shows the Processor. It only shows the amount of RAM installed.

It happened on two different computers I clean installed. Everything seems to be running fine and I could live with this "error" but it would be nice if I could get it back. It just seems wrong :). Thanks.

- clean install of 98SE + SP2.01

Immediately after installing SP2.01, in Control Panel ... System ... System Properties pane, it no longer shows the Processor.  It only shows the amount of RAM installed.

It happened on two different computers I clean installed.  Everything seems to be running fine and I could live with this "error" but it would be nice if I could get it back.  It just seems wrong :).  Thanks.

The reason of that problem [as Petr explained previously] is updated SYSDM.CPL file. It fixes a very minor cosmetic bug, but I doesn't display CPU info.

So, I think we can remove this SYSDM.CPL file from the SP.

The reason of that problem [as Petr explained previously] is updated SYSDM.CPL file. It fixes a very minor cosmetic bug, but I doesn't display CPU info.

So, I think we can remove this SYSDM.CPL file from the SP.

I think this bug is not only cosmetic, probably it is cosmetic for 32G to 64G free disk space only, but for >64GB may cause crash. I have to verify this, I have no big free disk available at present, but I read this somewhere.

Petr

i think they have removed CPU info from sysdm.cpl due to a lot of new CPUs, in the most cases CPU info is wrong.

I think this bug is not only cosmetic,

agreed - not only cosmetic

Gape,

I've been using sysdm.cpl 4.90.3001 [ MS hotfix Q272620 for WinME = http://www.mdgx.com/files/ME272620.EXE ] on 2 98SE computers for the past 3-4 weeks, and haven't seen any errors so far.

This sysdm.cpl does display the 2 CPUs I'm using it on in System Properties:

- Intel P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz + HyperThreading [socket LGA775] = displays as:

GenuineIntel

Intel® Pentium 4 CPU

- Intel P3 Tualatin Celeron 1.3 GHz [FC-PGA2] = displays as:

GenuineIntel

Intel® Celeron CPU

Note that I'm also using Petr's patched UPDATE.SYS for WinME 4.90.3001 on both PCs.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

Ooops... got the 2 CPUs backwards. :wacko:

Corrected. :)

Edited by MDGx

The reason of that problem [as Petr explained previously] is updated SYSDM.CPL file.

Thanks. I only have a 30GB drive in this notebook so I replaced it with the original SYSDM.CPL. I don't think I'll ever have a >64GB partition on a 98 machine so I should be safe :).

Sorry about bringing up known issues. I did try scanning through the threads and using Search but ...

I've been using sysdm.cpl 4.90.3001 [ MS hotfix Q272620 for WinME = http://www.mdgx.com/files/ME272620.EXE ] on 2 98SE computers for the past 3-4 weeks, and haven't seen any errors so far.

Thanks. I'll give this a shot. SYSDM.CPL doesn't require a reboot :).

- Intel P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz + HyperThreading [socket LGA775] = displays as:

GenuineIntel

Intel® Celeron CPU

- Intel P3 Tualatin Celeron 1.3 GHz [FC-PGA2] = displays as:

GenuineIntel

Intel® Pentium 4 CPU.

i assume that's the wrong way round ?

PS. i tried this Me file but it adds an unused system restore function in one of the tabs

so i decided to add oeminfo.ini to the system folder -

[General]Manufacturer=AuthenticAMD

Model=AMD Sempron 3000+

does...

Edited by miko

I went back to the original 98SE version also because I didn't like it showing Microsoft Windows ME :puke:.

Thanks for the tip though. If it gives me problems, I'll know what to do :).

Edited by obs