for the next major release, i have one suggestion:

Adding a line in AIUI

X Initialize Setup Engine

X Partition Hard Drive

X Format Hard Drive

X Copy Source Files to HDD

X Install Windows

X Restart and Finalize Settings

It takes a long time to copy source files from CD to HDD and it would be fine to know what happens during this laps

About the runtime 13 error: Not sure what is causing this right now. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you clear our your temp folder, and have admin rights to the folder you installed to (or to the machine if possible). I'll try to look into this when I get some free time. Also I'm curious what OS you are running.

@Goby: For the 429 error you might try re-installing the VB6 Runtime Files. Also this page might help.

@Bilou_Gateux: Good suggestion. I was thinking the same thing. I would like to do a progress bar, but a simple bolded text for this event will probably be in the next version.

@bernr: I am in the middle of moving to a new town, starting at a new college, and looking for a new job, so I'll be quite busy for a while. Once things settle down I would like to do another version. Not sure if this will be in a few weeks or a month.

Meanwhile keep the suggestions comming, I'm keeping a list of features/bugs to add/fix for the new version.

Hi,

I have another issue which is that the build process reports that it cannot find:

factory.exe

netcfg.exe

the odd thing is that it's looking for them on the CD Drive where my XP CD is located.

Should it not be looking for these files on the Windows PE CD?

In addition they are looked for in the \I386 folder when they are in the \I386\SYSTEM folder, on my PE disks they are anyway :)

What is going on here? What have I done wrong? :blink:

Kind Regards

Simon

P.S. I am testing the CD on VMWare and the installation fails on certian files including TSHOOT.DL_ ect.

They are present in the .ISO but the cannot be found by the XP Setup Process :(

Edited by PsiMoon314

@Goby: For the 429 error you might try re-installing the VB6 Runtime Files.  Also this page might help.

Hey there,

I have vb6 installed on here and have also tried installing the vb6 runtimes and the DAO fix to no avail, :(

Is there anyway I can get a debug version to find out what I am missing???

@Gobby I sent you a PM with some suggestions.

@PsiMoon314 What are the exact messages, and when do you get them? Screenshots would help me narrow it down. I am in the middle of moving so my stuff is all unorganized. Once I get setup again I can help you a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

@Justin

I would recommend you not to use your predefined CONFIG.INF and WINPESYS.INF when building the hives. It would help to build a new AICD with all available versions of WinPE (using the <OPK_CD>\WINPE\*.infs) without leaving some new features introduced in later versions of WinPE.

I'm intending to build an AICD not launching your shell as default. Using a different shell let me choose between your AI.EXE or another tool GHOST32.EXE or loading Network first...

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

@Bilou_Gateux: Good suggestion. I was thinking the same thing. I would like to do a progress bar, but a simple bolded text for this event will probably be in the next version.

Meanwhile keep the suggestions comming, I'm keeping a list of features/bugs to add/fix for the new version.

about the copy source:

Maybe can we use this Copy Muppy freeware (use VB6run60sp6.exe and comdlg32.ocx / tabctl32.ocx / mscomctl.ocx) under WinPE.

Copy Muppy is an easy-to-use backup utility to copy or move folders from one location to another. Just select the folder to include in the backup, set optional file type filters and specify whether the files should be compared by date before processed. The program does not provide built-in scheduling , but offers command line switches to automate backup via third party tools or Windows Task Manager.

At the time I created v2.2 build 199 I wasn't able to read the INFs from the WinPE directory because the files were in Unicode format. I have since found a way to convert the Unicode into ANSI from which I can read/modify during the build process. This will be included in the next version.

I'll take a look at that Copy Muppy you posted. I was planning on using the same method as before (xcopy) but with a visual progress bar on the AutoInstall screen.

As for changing the shell, this isn't a feature I will be including, mostly because I've developed my to do a specific task (automate the windows installation process). Adding the option to change the shell changes the goals I have set for the program, as well as adding more complexity (and possible confusion) for the end user.

Also, changing the shell just wouldn't work. My AI.EXE shell takes care of bootup password protection, the formatting of the hard drive, windows installation etc, as well as working with the encrypted WINNT.SIF (setup answer file).

By changing the shell you open a security hole; your encrypted answer file would no longer be as secure. A user could potentially use the alternate shell to obtain access to your admin passwords in the WINNT.SIF.

At the time I created v2.2 build 199 I wasn't able to read the INFs from the WinPE directory because the files were in Unicode format. I have since found a way to convert the Unicode into ANSI from which I can read/modify during the build process. This will be included in the next version.

I'll take a look at that Copy Muppy you posted. I was planning on using the same method as before (xcopy) but with a visual progress bar on the AutoInstall screen.

As for changing the shell, this isn't a feature I will be including, mostly because I've developed my to do a specific task (automate the windows installation process). Adding the option to change the shell changes the goals I have set for the program, as well as adding more complexity (and possible confusion) for the end user.

Also, changing the shell just wouldn't work. My AI.EXE shell takes care of bootup password protection, the formatting of the hard drive, windows installation etc, as well as working with the encrypted WINNT.SIF (setup answer file).

By changing the shell you open a security hole; your encrypted answer file would no longer be as secure. A user could potentially use the alternate shell to obtain access to your admin passwords in the WINNT.SIF.

I have not checked the encryption / password protection feature yet.

That's why i have made some tests by changing to alternate shell by injecting some files / modifying some hives keys in the ISO before burning it.

The Copy Muppy don't works as expected to be used in your project.

When we select \AI\SOURCE\I386 as source and C:\I386 as destination, the files are copied to destination C:\I386\AI\SOURCE\I386 :}

and the "listing" used in command line use hardcoded paths with drive letter.

Good new if in the next version you are going to use the infs from the original WinPE and read/modify to your needs during the build process. :)

I will wait patiently for next release.

Why not try to use an AutoIT script:

Copy with progress dialog... by ezzetabi

call the function with these parameters:

_CopyDirWithProgress("X:\AI\SOURCE\I386\", "C:\I386\")

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Still not sure about the runtime error '13' I'm working on two other projects which have a higher priority at the moment, so I haven't had time to check on this.

I used the attached script you suggested compiled into an EXE, but when run from the command line I get the following error message:

Line 0 (File "C:\CopyWithProgress.exe"):

Func_FileSearch($sIstr, $bSF=1)

Error: Badly formatted "Func" statement.

CopyWithProgress.au3